The Sea Wolf (1941) Edward G. Robinson
Gor (1987) Oliver Reed
Outlaw of Gor (1988) Jack Palance
*Tunes of Glory (1960) Alec Guinness
2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) Keir Dullea
2010 The Year We Make Contact (1984) Roy Scheider
12 Angry Men (1957) Henry Fonda
Two Women (1960) Sophia Loren

You would go nuts at my mom's house. She has a collection of over 5,000 movies. I had to build shelfs in the garage (about 150 sq feet) so she could store her favorite DVDs out there. She also had me build a HT in there (110" screen with surround). There's a big, leather recliner with cupholders/storage in the middle. She's been collecting movies for just about 40 years (going back to VHS which have all been replaced). Her collection includes silent movies and everything after that. They've been put in alphabetical order for easy access and you can't even get some of them anymore.

You would go nuts at my mom's house. She has a collection of over 5,000 movies. I had to build shelfs in the garage (about 150 sq feet) so she could store her favorite DVDs out there. She also had me build a HT in there (110" screen with surround). There's a big, leather recliner with cupholders/storage in the middle. She's been collecting movies for just about 40 years (going back to VHS which have all been replaced). Her collection includes silent movies and everything after that. They've been put in alphabetical order for easy access and you can't even get some of them anymore.
That sounds great. I also have an estimated 5,000 movies. Most have been taken out of their original packaging and put in paper sleeves and stored in small plastic boxes that hold around 100 discs each. I separate them in several different ways - Genre (western, horror, sci fi, etc) favorite actors, TV series. Some I leave in original cases - superheroes, Star Wars, LotR, etc. I've been collecting since VHS tapes first came out....many of those tapes I burned to DVD, and have DVDs that are collector items today. Movies are my vice.

That sounds great. I also have an estimated 5,000 movies. Most have been taken out of their original packaging and put in paper sleeves and stored in small plastic boxes that hold around 100 discs each. I separate them in several different ways - Genre (western, horror, sci fi, etc) favorite actors, TV series. Some I leave in original cases - superheroes, Star Wars, LotR, etc. I've been collecting since VHS tapes first came out....many of those tapes I burned to DVD, and have DVDs that are collector items today. Movies are my vice.

I noticed. LOL.

My mom's thing is she likes to make the DVD covers so she uses some program called 3D Design (or something like that??) to make covers so storing them takes up a lot of space. She goes out on the internet, picks out pictures she likes of the movie, puts them on the front and back cover, and then puts the name, year, and runtime of the movie on the spine. She also copies the cast on the back cover. It's a hobby and I think it's good for her brain. She also keeps a spreadsheet of all her movies with info (including a short review). It gives her something to do since she's retired and doesn't get out much anymore. I don't know of many, or really any, people her age who use a computer to the extent that she does.

That's an impressive collection you have. I thought my mom was the only one that.....uh.....unique. :cwink:

When a bunch of us were watching Babylon 5, we were the only ones who could (sorta) keep up with @flickchick85 . She's sorta "unique" herself.

I noticed. LOL.

My mom's thing is she likes to make the DVD covers so she uses some program called 3D Design (or something like that??) to make covers so storing them takes up a lot of space. She goes out on the internet, picks out pictures she likes of the movie, puts them on the front and back cover, and then puts the name, year, and runtime of the movie on the spine. She also copies the cast on the back cover. It's a hobby and I think it's good for her brain. She also keeps a spreadsheet of all her movies with info (including a short review). It gives her something to do since she's retired and doesn't get out much anymore. I don't know of many, or really any, people her age who use a computer to the extent that she does.

That's an impressive collection you have. I thought my mom was the only one that.....uh.....unique. :cwink:

When a bunch of us were watching Babylon 5, we were the only ones who could (sorta) keep up with @flickchick85 . She's sorta "unique" herself.
I used to make some of my own covers too.....but that was before I started boxing them up to save space.

Yeah, I guess I'm unique....but I could have worse hobbies.

At my wife's work, they pulled the names of the horses in this years Kentucky Derby from a hat, and put a few dollars in to go to the winner. Her horse was Soup & Sandwich....who came in dead last.

No soup and sandwich for us tonight.

At my wife's work, they pulled the names of the horses in this years Kentucky Derby from a hat, and put a few dollars in to go to the winner. Her horse was Soup & Sandwich....who came in dead last.

No soup and sandwich for us tonight.

It was a rigged lottery.

I can't watch that Rosemund Pike and Peter Dinklage movie on Netflix cause the main plot is every adult with elderly parents worst nightmare.

As a collector I ran out of space for everything when I was still young. :csad:

I can't watch that Rosemund Pike and Peter Dinklage movie on Netflix cause the main plot is every adult with elderly parents worst nightmare.
Thanks for mentioning the movie....I'm a big fan of both of them and so need to watch it.

I noticed. LOL.

Custom Cover Art Thread - Page 1276 - Blu-ray Forum
she would enjoy a lot of the stuff here i bet.

if i recommend nothing else from all these pages, i highly suggest finding Nissen's Hitchcock series of covers here. Top notch work

She got to meet Page and Plant because she was friends with someone that was working at AABBA's studio in Sweden. Apparently that was an in place to record because say whatever you will about that group's style of music you can tell that to produce it took a lot of in studio production magic which meant their place was very well stocked with the best sound equipment ect.

I tease her about that because that is totally NOT her music taste. Zep, The Stones, AC/DC (Scott era ONLY for her. Yeah... She's one of those. LOL) and she was last we talked about music, was in a Black Keys and White Stripes phase. And Rammstein, of course, cuz she's Euro.

I can't remember how old she said she was when she met Page and Plant but I am guessing between like 15-19 given the latest Zep was still an actively recording outfit putting out albums on the reg.

I've known her since 1998 or so, just after I moved back to NYC after living in Pennsylvania, but I was born in Brooklyn and spent my first 13 years in the same neighborhood I live in now, the Sunset Park area of South Brooklyn. She was working at a local bar during the afternoon shift and since I work nights my afternoons are usually open and my only time to do anything outside of my apartment. She's a great conversationalist so she was a great fit tending bar. She also was a featured nude model in the tail end of when magazines were still a thing right before the Internet explosion. This is when she also got serious about photography herself and added that to her bag, so she modeled but also shot others as well. I used to have a GREAT professional looking set done by her of methat she did for free that was on my podcast website but at some point my podcast partner Ed deleted them (I'm still angry Ed.)

She moved back to Stockholm about 2006-ish and came back to NYC for vacations. She got into real estate photography but right before that she appeared in a rock video:

She started working with a charity for at risk young women, you know dealing with abuse or addiction issues, that sort of stuff and that rolled over somehow into a book she put out about the homeless in Stockholm. And now she is working as a case worker at a charity for homeless folk.

She is in hindsight the most fascinating woman I have ever known, by a long stretch.

Sorry for this very late reply, crappy excuse but I'm rarely visiting this thread. Well, here's a rant..

Yes, the Polar Studio in which ABBA made their records has a great reputation regardless of what one might think of ABBA songs (tbh, Michael B Tretow the producer, was a pure genious in the 70s and is up there with many internationally famous producers). As a middle aged Swede I of course grew up with ABBA, and as every music fan over here, one can't deny how great that studio was (for me in the end it typically went to all about heavy metal/hard rock stuff from early 80s as a snotty teen fumbling on the guitar).

IIRC at least the last Led Zeppelin album was done there (In Through the Out Door 1980). From the late 90s and many years onward we even had a yearly Polar Prize TV-broadcast event here, which was partly for popular music (some of the winners were Joni Mitchell [excellent winner], Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd [excellent winner again], Elton John, Bob Dylan etc, etc) and a prize for contemporary more orchestral music whose names are beyond me.

And yes, Bon Scott over Brian Johnson, that's not even a discussion (yup, I'm one of those!)! Tbf though, for me it's mostly about the songs (and Malcolm's brilliant riffs) which were way greater in the 70s IMHO, and Bon's awesome lyrics that went missing after his passing. But also the singing, a little bit lol. Back In Black is still a truly great classic though. Also, Brian is a totally fantastic and humble character whom I adore. Check out him with Dolly Parton when she's showing him her tour bus on YT. Pure gold.

Your friend seems like a very interesting character. I'm always impressed by people working with charity. A book about homeless people in Stockholm? I need to check that out (remembering the homeless people when living there in late 80s-mid 90s). Homeless people in our bigger cities is always a controversial issue, considering our high taxes and free health care is supposed to take care of that. But there's no perfect system, and politicians always need to be aware of that..

Anyways, I'll still say she'd probably laugh her ass off (if she has humour, that is) if an American would send her that Robert Broberg video from 1969 I posted above..

Sorry for this very late reply, crappy excuse but I'm rarely visiting this thread. Well, here's a rant..

Yes, the Polar Studio in which ABBA made their records has a great reputation regardless of what one might think of ABBA songs (tbh, Michael B Tretow the producer, was a pure genious in the 70s and is up there with many internationally famous producers). As a middle aged Swede I of course grew up with ABBA, and as every music fan over here, one can't deny how great that studio was (for me in the end it typically went to all about heavy metal/hard rock stuff from early 80s as a snotty teen fumbling on the guitar).

IIRC at least the last Led Zeppelin album was done there (In Through the Out Door 1980). From the late 90s and many years onward we even had a yearly Polar Prize TV-broadcast event here, which was partly for popular music (some of the winners were Joni Mitchell [excellent winner], Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd [excellent winner again], Elton John, Bob Dylan etc, etc) and a prize for contemporary more orchestral music whose names are beyond me.

And yes, Bon Scott over Brian Johnson, that's not even a discussion (yup, I'm one of those!)! Tbf though, for me it's mostly about the songs (and Malcolm's brilliant riffs) which were way greater in the 70s IMHO, and Bon's awesome lyrics that went missing after his passing. But also the singing, a little bit lol. Back In Black is still a truly great classic though. Also, Brian is a totally fantastic and humble character whom I adore. Check out him with Dolly Parton when she's showing him her tour bus on YT. Pure gold.

Your friend seems like a very interesting character. I'm always impressed by people working with charity. A book about homeless people in Stockholm? I need to check that out (remembering the homeless people when living there in late 80s-mid 90s). Homeless people in our bigger cities is always a controversial issue, considering our high taxes and free health care is supposed to take care of that. But there's no perfect system, and politicians always need to be aware of that..

Anyways, I'll still say she'd probably laugh her ass off (if she has humour, that is) if an American would send her that Robert Broberg video from 1969 I posted above..

This is her book:

De okonventionella : de s... | Ingela Sommarström | 130 SEK

When we were E-mailing each other a few months back she said it was the thing she's done that she's the most proud of.

As for BonnVBrian, see my thoughts on that in the Sonic Boom: The Guitar Gods thread. I love me Brian's work with the band, and it's some of AC/DC's biggest, most well known work with some undeniable hits. But... I too feel that there's a texture and feel missing after Scott's death. Whatever he did with the band ole' Bonn brought a sly unpredicability to the proceedings on all levels. I also feel the "type" of songs the band would tackle and put out got a bit more formulaic with Johnson as lead singer. Maybe Ian and Malcom's working relationship was different with Scott or his personality was more forceful? Either way as much as I love AC/DC in its big anthemic three minute head shaking arena rock phase, which to be fair there's quite a few Scott era hits that fit that mold too, I love me the more Blues/Early rock inspired songs and just the more variety they brought to the table with Bonn as front man (Even though, yeah, no matter who is singing we all came to see Angus strangle that guitar into submission on stage.) because I think songs like these became fewer and far between in the later years of the band:

Brian was and is a great performer and he was with the band during the through the statosphere rocket ride to mega success, and I love that music but there's something about Bonn's stuff... He brings a true attitude of "danger" to the table.

2ugamzd9r0x61.gif

Why do they make it so hard to Select All mail in your inbox that you clearly don't want anymore?

Why do they make it so hard to Select All mail in your inbox that you clearly don't want anymore?

What do you use for mail? How many emails do you want to delete? Do you have Hillary Clinton numbers?

I didn't really say much about this at the time as I've gone hog wild with my martial arts training (No... Seriously... I worked out basically all day from about 11am when I woke up to 5pm and even worked in a teaching session... It's... Kinda crazy...) so my time is getting crunched and it seems the Hype is on the short end.

But I want to say...

I miss Schloss, I think it's terrible that he was banned.

Also... The Lounge, my "home base" on the Hype has lost a lot of regulars in the past six months or so, maybe longer. A lot of regulars are not here anymore.

Can we really have imagined that @Reek, @Roose Bolton, @Perfect Cell or Schloss would NOT be here just a year ago?

It's a trend that I am not to happy to see continuing. This is my sanctum on the Hype and it's lost some of the folk I like to hang with the most.

Shame.

Reek was on the Hype yesterday.....Roose was looking at this thread 30 minutes ago....Perfect was on the Hype at 8:30 pm.

Reek was on the Hype yesterday.....Roose was looking at this thread 30 minutes ago....Perfect was on the Hype at 8:30 pm.
Oh I know that they are still active members...

Just not here.

Let's just say that she is much more of an ACDC Led Zeppelin type of girl.

Ingela-Swedish-Exotica.jpg

C8PnlWJXkAEkoOD.jpg:large

Say Kriptin... maskusumpin.... @Greens ever tell you about his situation with eyebrows? Helluva twist.

Say Kriptin... maskusumpin.... @Greens ever tell you about his situation with eyebrows? Helluva twist.

PM me Lord Greyjoy.

I'm all ears.

Good to see Roose is not neglecting your regular feeding.

Enjoying the weather down in Ga.? Grill yet or waiting for the real start of Summer?

i have ascended beyond everything you just said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"