Superman 2-who do you want to direct?

Discussion in 'Superman Sequels' started by Excel, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Showtime Your Friend In Time

My belief is that if Returns is anywhere near succesfull Singer will give it a shot at a sequel, if not finally see through the trilogy that he didn't with X-Men.

That being said I think Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg are best suited for the job, and I would love to see it. However, my sleeper would be M. Night for a variety of reasons:

1) He was offered the job previously and would have excepted if they let him
    write his own script.
    2) He loves the character of Superman and has since a child.
    3) I love his take on the superhero genre with his work on Unbreakable.

2. Obi Wan Kenobi Registered

The only thing that scares me about Peter Jackson is that the guy can't seem to make a movie under 3 hours.

3. Fatboy Roberts Registered

Shyamalan is a good pick. I completely forgot Warners talked to him about it. He DOES have good storytelling sensibilities, and his respect for comics and their conventions is VERY obvious in "unbreakable."

Obi-Wan: Jackson's Heavenly Creatures is well under three hours, as is The Frighteners. And Heavenly Creatures is a POWERFUL piece of filmmaking. LOTR's length can be explained by the source material, and King Kong's length was his geek jones completely taking over. I don't think the same thing would extend to Superman. That said--I'm not sure I'd like the idea of Jackson directing Superman.

4. Showtime Your Friend In Time

I agree with you in regards to Heavenly Creatures, great flick. Frighteners, although it was under three hours, wasn't what I hoped.

I would me more interested in seeing M. Night get a shot. I think he would have been great to re-start the franchise, whether an origin or a semi-sequel as Singer is giving us.

5. Nightwing1977 Want to see my mask??

But he did "The Rocketeer", which was consider a great comic book movie. Sure he did JP3 which suck, but I wouldn't blame it entirely on him. I mean he didn't wrote that movie, did he? But if he did, well maybe it didn't suit him. Doesn't mean he would suck with Superman. It would be interesting if he were to do Superman. He could bring what he did to the Rocketeer for Superman. :)

6. SolidSnakeMGS Registered

The Rocketeer. Talk about a severly underrated film. Too bad there wasn't sequels. There isn't even a good DVD, right Fatboy?:)

7. skruloos Registered

Okay...here would be my dream crew:

Director: Steven Spielberg
    Writers: Paul Dini with a rewrite by Frank Darabont
    Animatics/Pre-Vis/Storyboard Supervisor: Kerry Conran and Brad Bird
    Cinematographer: Janusz Kaminski (he'd have to stay away from his overuse of bleach bypass lately, however)
    Editor: Michael Kahn
    Composer: John Williams
    Visual Effects: Weta Digital or ILM

8. SolidSnakeMGS Registered

Haven't much thought about your other ideas, but this one I automatically agree with. Williams is one of the finest composers ever, classical or film-wise. :up:

9. Fatboy Roberts Registered

Nope, and that's a DAMNED shame. I remember there was talk of maybe re-releasing it this year, but Disney I don't think really knows what to do with it. Best bet is that it either hits on Blu-Ray or Joe Johnston does something REALLY BIG in the next year or so, making it easy for Disney to say "Oh, from the maker of "blah blahblah blah"

I forgot Johnston did Jumanji, too.

Williams on Superman is a no-brainer. Ottman, I've got faith in him, his "Usual Suspects" score is CLASSIC as far as I'm concerned, and his work on X2 was pretty decent, but man...Don Davis did a decent job re-working Williams' themes in JP3, but the score didn't REALLY stand out. I'm hoping that's not the case with Ottman.

Skru: I think, if we're going dream cinematographers--I'd go with Roger Deakins over Janusz Kaminski--largely for the reason you cited: Kaminski is too addicted to those filters now. Deakins, however--beautiful Cinematography every time. EVERY time. Breathtaking images. Now, if Conrad Hall or John Alonzo were still with us, it'd be one of those too. But as of now, I'm taking Deakins. Or hell, Lesnie, for that matter.

And since Spielberg is so huge on "father/child" relationship themes in ALL of his works--I'd want them to straight up adapt "Secret Identity" by Busiek and Immonen. Can you imagine Spielberg bringing THAT to the screen?

It'd win Oscars. I'm tellin you. It would transcend the genre. That book is right up classic Spielberg's alley.

10. skruloos Registered

It's funny that you mention Deakins as he would be one of my other choices. The reason I went with Kaminski was because of his relationship with Spielberg. I find it hard to break the relationship between director and cinematographer. Also on my list would be Michael Ballhaus, Dante Spinotti or even John Schwartzman (but only because I think he films great iconic shots even if he DOES work with Michael Bay). Top of my alternate list would be Christopher Doyle though.

Haven't read "Secret Identity" yet but I have heard others bring it up many a time. I must put it on my "to read" list.

11. CGHulk Registered

Digital Domain did most of the work on I Robot, and Weta Digital did the underground freeway sequence where all the robots attacked Will Smith's car!

BTW the only reason Weta Digital is of a higher standard globally is due to New Zealands lack of Labor Laws so they can work people like work horses around the clock until production is finished, and it's 3 times cheaper in New Zealand. Disneytoon studios in Australia is a fine example of quality where people are treated like cattle, they make those strait to video Disney sequels like Mulan 2 Jungle Book 2. Disneytoon Studios employees have been given a year to find other jobs because they are going to be shutting down and moving everything to India. Harry Osbourne the Producer of Lord of the Rings is opening a visual effects studio in India too, his reasons are that visual effects are to expensive, and with expense it effects quality, so better effects through cheaper labor. Hanna Barbera started all of this by outsourcing all of their animation to Korea, I should know my grandfather was asked by Joe Barbera to teach Korean's how to animate, but he refused, he thought American animators/artists should keep their jobs!

OK back on topic! :D

12. Rex Calibur Registered

I hope you understand the difference here. You see, J.J Abrams and Ratner agreed on these changes for their own original Superman movie. They wouldn't be able to make such huge changes directing a sequel, will they?

13. Cinemaman Registered

It were Ratner's ideas.

And Abrams is damn good director.

14. Cinemaman Registered

I think X-men time will be soon over.

And third movie will suck, I think so.

Script was bad and Ratner can't do anything good for superheroes.

15. Cinemaman Registered

And ILM's effects are better than WETA.

And Sony made Spidey 2, so they also have OSCAR AWARD.

16. Cinemaman Registered

But ILM also made effects for Narnia.

17. Weadazoid Registered

Goes into Old School Will Ferrel mode

in real deep voice

"I like you man... I like you but your crazy.."

Smacks some kids around and falls in the pool

18. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

If the movie is a hit, he will come back.

19. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

It would have been really interesting to see one of my favorite directors take on the "Man of Steel" and it would have been really interesting to see him finally do an action film.

20. Cinemaman Registered

I really hope that he ill come back.

21. Showtime Your Friend In Time

One of my favorites, if not my favorite as well. I would love to see it, you never know.

22. Cinemaman Registered

If Singer doesn't come back, I think we will have a new director. But who?
    In real, I think WB will find a normal director, who made good movies.
    But I also hope we will have J. J. Abrams. or M. Night Shyamalan as a director.

23. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Yeah, I think that Unbreakable has to be the best superhero movie ever and it put the suppose realism of the X-Men movies and Batman Begins to shame.

24. Cinemaman Registered

Unbreakable was really great movie based on superhero :up:

25. Showtime Your Friend In Time

I agree, it was very realistic and should be looked at when creating a superhero movie.