Sequels Superman 2-who do you want to direct?

explode7 said:
^ I see u prefer WETA over Sony.

That's because WETA's effects are better than Sony's.

Matt said:
See, your post was good until right there. Suddenly everything you said is worthless, because lets face it...Jurrassic Park 3 sucked ass.

Did you stop reading there? I didn't say it was a good movie, just that it was WAY more entertaining than it should have been. I also mentioned that he was responsible for October Sky and The Rocketeer, both REALLY good movies.

But I figure you're just making an easy one-liner so that's cool :)

to be obnoxious and pretentious: I maintain my 5 picks are the best ones here. Nyeah ;)

Matt said:
That's because WETA's effects are better than Sony's.

No it isn't sony is better. Just look at Spiderman 1 & 2 before u judge Sony's effects ok:) .

Fatboy, great choices. Nice to see you're back. You too Matt. ;)

The Rocketeer is one of the best superhero movies IMO. Right up there with STM.

Weta's effects only looked so good in Kong because Peter Jackson was the director one who is very experienced in that field.

You all are letting one movie(KONG) judge WETA's effects for you.

no, all three LOTRs, "I, Robot", "King Kong", "Chronicles of Narnia", etc. All incredible visual effects, regardless of the quality of the actual movies.

Spielberg, Zemeckis, Verbinski, Cameron, or Jackson. Spielberg can still direct wonderfully in my opinion. Zemeckis knows how to make great dialogue in his films. Verbinski did something I thought was impossible and made a movie about an amusement park ride slighty entertainable. If Jim Cameron stuck with the source material and had input on the dialogue, then the film would be sharp. Most people don't realize that is the strength of his films like I do. The Terminator films in particular have great dialogue (spare III, though). Peter is a great director of very large films (even if they can be a bit long-winded). No matter which director would do it, the writing would determine the overall quality because all of these directors know how to work in the visual medium well, but a poorly written film can't be saved by a shiny exterior in my opinion.

TheBat812 said:
no, all three LOTRs, "I, Robot", "King Kong", "Chronicles of Narnia", etc. All incredible visual effects, regardless of the quality of the actual movies.

Really i thought ILM did LOTR, Sony did I Robot and Rhythm and Hues Chronicles. Maybe I'm mistaken but thats who I think did it.

Nope. Peter Jackson co-owns WETA, my explodsive friend. So WETA did Lord of the Rings.

With I, Robot and Lion,Witch...it's a mixture of different CGI companies. I think Rhythm and Hues did the MAJORITY of the CGI in 'Lion' while WETA Workshop did the make up/costumes and WETA DIGITAL did the extra CGI.

Don't know who did the majority of I, Robot though..

Really i thought ILM did LOTR... Maybe I'm mistaken

You're mistaken.

Thanks for the welcome, Lovski :)

Kap: I think Zemeckis has lost it, myself. Whatever he had once--it's atrophied. Spielberg is ALWAYS the a #1 choice, but I don't know if THIS Spielberg even wants to do it. You offer this to Spielberg back in 85 and it's the perfect match.

Verbinski's a good choice, but there's no way he's taking this now that he's got his own huge franchise to see to fruition. This reminds me of when everyone wanted the Wachowski's to get Superman after Matrix 1. No one's saying that after 2 and 3, although they appear to have ghost-directed "V for Vendetta" rather well.

I really have no problems with either Jackson or Cameron, but I wouldn't see them taking the job. I CAN see the 5 I listed concievably taking the job if offered, though. But I can't deny, if reality didn't factor in, I'd be saying Jackson, Cameron and Spielberg all day long. Great picks :)

I thought I recognized you, Roberts, from another forum. Guess I was right.

...I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. ;)

I'm guessing HTF forum, because everywhere else, I use this name.

Fatboy Roberts said:
You're mistaken.

Thanks for the welcome, Lovski :)

Kap: I think Zemeckis has lost it, myself. Whatever he had once--it's atrophied. Spielberg is ALWAYS the a #1 choice, but I don't know if THIS Spielberg even wants to do it. You offer this to Spielberg back in 85 and it's the perfect match.

Verbinski's a good choice, but there's no way he's taking this now that he's got his own huge franchise to see to fruition. This reminds me of when everyone wanted the Wachowski's to get Superman after Matrix 1. No one's saying that after 2 and 3, although they appear to have ghost-directed "V for Vendetta" rather well.

I really have no problems with either Jackson or Cameron, but I wouldn't see them taking the job. I CAN see the 5 I listed concievably taking the job if offered, though. But I can't deny, if reality didn't factor in, I'd be saying Jackson, Cameron and Spielberg all day long. Great picks :)
I do like a majority of Zemeckis' work. Back to the Future, Forrest Gump, and I'm a sucker for the Polar Express. What Lies Beneath was also pretty passable for me, as I'm pretty fickle when it comes to thrillers and their effects on me. As for Spielberg, I really think that a couple of his last films are my favorites, but then again, my tastes vary from a lot of people's. I loved Minority Report, and I almost cried my eyes out at the end of A.I. The other sad thing is that if Alexander Salkind wasn't ultra-patient, then the first Superman film (and likely the second) would've been directed by Spielberg. He would be a dream pick. As would Cameron and Jackson because they're both doing other stuff at present.

Fatboy Roberts said:
So there we go. My picks:

Brad Bird
Joe Dante
Francis Lawrence
Joe Johnston

And just for the hell of it:

Frank Darabont.
All really great picks. I'm especially liking Francis Lawrence since his direction and visual style in Constantine really surprised me. Johnston, to me, is iffy though. He didn't really wow me.

Frank Darabont is great and I'd especially love it if he took a pass at a Superman script. I'd have to see how he does action or who he picks as an action director/choreographer before I settle on him, however.

Kap: I'm with you on Spielberg. I think people will wake up in 10 years and recognize AI for the hidden masterpiece it truly is. That movie is like a succession of punches in the gut you didn't even realize had happened until like 10 minutes later. I like modern-day Spielberg, I just don't think he's the same guy that would have taken a Superman flick in the early 80's, and I'm not sure he wants to make that kind of movie right now. And I'm not sure I'd want him to, I like what he's doing now way too much.

I like Zemeckis older stuff, but so much of what he's gotten behind recently is bland as hell, to me.

I can't WAIT for Cameron's "Avatar" to hit screens. Cannot wait.

Metal Gear: Yeah--I figured out who you are and where you know me from. Good to see you round here, man. I THINK it's a good thing that you recognized me, but I dunno if YOU think that ;)

No, it's cool, Roberts. Good to see you too, bro. Unfortunately, it looks like I may not be seen around the HTF realms anymore as Reuben banned me. It was a minor slip of the forum rules and I didn't get so much as a warning. I even sent a letter up the chain stating my neglect, but to no avail. Since then, I've been spending my time here talking about my #1 anticipated movie ever!:up:

KaptainKrypton said:
Spielberg, Zemeckis, Verbinski, Cameron, or Jackson. Spielberg can still direct wonderfully in my opinion. Zemeckis knows how to make great dialogue in his films. Verbinski did something I thought was impossible and made a movie about an amusement park ride slighty entertainable. If Jim Cameron stuck with the source material and had input on the dialogue, then the film would be sharp. Most people don't realize that is the strength of his films like I do. The Terminator films in particular have great dialogue (spare III, though). Peter is a great director of very large films (even if they can be a bit long-winded). No matter which director would do it, the writing would determine the overall quality because all of these directors know how to work in the visual medium well, but a poorly written film can't be saved by a shiny exterior in my opinion.
All good choices though I'd replace Zemeckis with Ridley Scott. Give them a script by Frank Darabont or Paul Dini and I'd be happier than the proverbial pig.

Unfortunately, it looks like I may not be seen around the HTF realms anymore

Weak sauce, man. The guys who run that place sometimes make me scratch my head.

You can still READ that joint, right? if not, let me know, I can post pertinent info over here--but typically, this board and the bluetights board scoops that place by like a week or so.

Skru: Ridley Scott's an interesting choice. I think he could do it, I'm just not sure it would have the proper FEEL. There's always something a little brittle and edgy about Ridley's films, even something as blatantly fairytale as "Legend" but that's not to say he COULDN'T do it. He's one of the 10 best living directors right now, I think.

You know for a "who should direct Superman 2 topic," There sure are a lot of people responding.

It's fun to pie-in-the-sky stuff, I guess. but yeah, technically, I guess this is off topic.

Fatboy Roberts said:
Weak sauce, man. The guys who run that place sometimes make me scratch my head.

You can still READ that joint, right? if not, let me know, I can post pertinent info over here--but typically, this board and the bluetights board scoops that place by like a week or so.

Ha, tell me about it! I hate it though as there are a lot of smart people there and I learned tons about stuff. I can still peruse it (so far), so it isn't a total loss.

To get back on topic, maybe I missed it, but did anyone suggest the W. Brothers? In Reloaded when Neo is flying, I could almost hear the Bros. telling the audience "pretend Neo is Superman and imagine what a kickass Superman movie we could make!" I really can't help but to think that too, so much that it distracts me from the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"