Sequels Superman 2-who do you want to direct?

That-Guy said:
1. Gore Verbinski - One of the most talented and versatile directors out there today, he's done everything from thrilling epics (Pirates of the Carribean), to horror (The Ring), to human drama/comedy (The Weather Man). I'd love to see what he could do with Superman because his films are unique and he makes an effort to make sure the characters are central and don't get lost in the mix.

2. Andrew Adamson - Although Adamson doesn't have all that many films under his belt, I think that his work on The Chronicles of Narnia has has shown him to be a top talent. In my humble opinion, he stuck very close to the source material and then outdid it. It's a great book, but Adamson and WETA turned it into a spectacular movie. They fleshed out the characters more, added some thrilling battle sequences, and created a Narnia that was (almost) as fascinating as Tolkien's (and Peter Jackson's) Middle-Earth.

Very true, also Ron Howard is a very good director aswell.

adamson and verbinski wuld be fantastic. probaly 2 and 3 of my top 3 after abrams. i think chris colombus woudnt be bad either.

If Singer can't do it, I'd like to see Brad Bird (Iron Giant, The Incredibles) with Bryan producing.

Sverdlovski said:
If Singer can't do it, I'd like to see Brad Bird (Iron Giant, The Incredibles) with Bryan producing.

Good call, Zemeckis is classy aswell.

What about a Ridley Scott version of Superman?

Ron Howard would be interesting, though I don't see him doing it. Zemeckis is kind of hit or miss in my opinion... I love some of his movie like Forrest Gump and Back to the Future but loathe others like What Lies Beneath, so it's hard to say. Ridley Scott could certainly make a cinematically stunning Superman film and probably a good one too as long as he doesn't allow key scenes wind up on the cutting room floor (Kingdom of Heaven).

That-Guy said:
Ron Howard would be interesting, though I don't see him doing it. Zemeckis is kind of hit or miss in my opinion... I love some of his movie like Forrest Gump and Back to the Future but loathe others like What Lies Beneath, so it's hard to say. Ridley Scott could certainly make a cinematically stunning Superman film and probably a good one too as long as he doesn't allow key scenes wind up on the cutting room floor (Kingdom of Heaven).

While Kingdom of Heaven was not at all historically accurate it was cinematically stunning. So if he were to film Superman, I say it would not be a cheesy film. FOX decided to chop up his film then alow him to release his "true version" on the extended dvd set.

Just a fan's dream really.

Sverdlovski said:

Brad Bird is an animated movie director. He has never done live action...there is a huge difference. While he is great at animation, there is a damn good chance he would make a horrible live action director.

Anyway, great call on Gore Verbenski That-Guy!

Matt said:
Brad Bird is an animated movie director. He has never done live action...there is a huge difference. While he is great at animation, there is a damn good chance he would make a horrible live action director.

Anyway, great call on Gore Verbenski That-Guy!

Thanks, Matt! Yeah, I'm a huge Gore fan (no pun intended). He's definitely one of the best directors out there today.

Matt said:

Yes, there is.

Excel said:
adamson and verbinski wuld be fantastic. probaly 2 and 3 of my top 3 after abrams. i think chris colombus woudnt be bad either.
Please keep Columbus away from Superman. He is a weaker version of Zemeckis and Spielberg. He's more generic and pedestrian than Ratner. The man cannot direct emotional scenes and engaging characters for the life of him.

Matt said:
There is also a damn good chance that he would make a terrific live action director. He obviously knows how to pace his films. Both his animated films were incredibly character oriented and had a lot of heart so he could handle the story. He knows how to create memorable action scenes and makes great use of CGI. With the amount of CGI and special effects expected in movies like Superman, he could simply direct it as if he WERE directing an animated film. Technically, he would be capable of it. The only thing we wouldn't really know is if he would be capable of directing actors or not. Everything else wouldn't really be THAT different. Instead of telling an animator how to frame and light the shot, he'd tell the cinematographer. There you go.

skruloos said:
There is also a damn good chance that he would make a terrific live action director. He obviously knows how to pace his films. Both his animated films were incredibly character oriented and had a lot of heart so he could handle the story. He knows how to create memorable action scenes and makes great use of CGI. With the amount of CGI and special effects expected in movies like Superman, he could simply direct it as if he WERE directing an animated film. Technically, he would be capable of it. The only thing we wouldn't really know is if he would be capable of directing actors or not. Everything else wouldn't really be THAT different. Instead of telling an animator how to frame and light the shot, he'd tell the cinematographer. There you go.

Yeah, that too.

Cinemaman said:
I think J.J. Abrams isn't bad choice for Superman.

A Krypton that doesn't explode.

Gay Jimmy Olsen.

Lex Luthor, Kryptonian double agent.

Suit in a can.

Hara-kiri Jor-El.

Super wire-fu.

Sorry, but Abrams had his shot, and he blew it. He has no right whatsoever to be anywhere near a Superman movie, let alone direct it.

Brett Ratner. He seems to be combining everything Singer did right and fixing everything Singer did wrong on X-men...no reason he couldn't do that here.

Ratner was one of the Abrams' script's biggest champions! Why in God's name would anyone want to go back to that mess?

And why are the "fans" rallying behind the people who were going to knife them in the back in the first place as replacements for Singer? Do you people really want a horrible Superman movie that much?!

King Krypton said:
Do you people really want a horrible Superman movie that much?!

You know what dude? That's pretty much how I feel about SR.

Nightwing1977 said:
LMAO! I know X3 won't be as good without Singer. And funny how you think I shouldn't judge X3 because I could ask you the same for SR. Talk about irony.

You do, frequently. I was being sarcastic. I happen to think you are perfectly entitled to form an informed opinion about what you can expect from X3, based on what you know so far and what you think of the director's previous work. I, for example, didn't think much of the X-Men films (and fully expect X3 to be worlds ahead), and so am wary about what Singer will do with SR.

skruloos said:
He's got a point, Nightwing. It's a bit hypocritical to say not to judge SR without seeing it but then turning around and judging X3.

I know. I'm just annoyed when some say something like this with SR that I do the same for X3, even thought I'm a big X-fan. Gotten a little carried away here. But it just Ratner is never consider a good story telling like Singer with doing too much bad movies with too much action like Rush Hour 1 & 2. Even if he did some work on the scripts, I still don't think he was right for X3. But I hope he will prove me wrong.

skruloos said:
I also don't understand what the point of making your resume bigger would be. I'd think that 8.5" by 11" is more than enough.
Y'know how it is. Everyone wants to be "legal-sized" nowadays. :o

Brad Bird is a GREAT choice, not only because he knows how to craft perfect character beats, and how to pace his movies, and set up astounding action sequences--but he GETS Superman. Check out Iron Giant for proof of that. SUPERMAN is at the center of that movie.

Plus, his background in animation isn't a knock. Someone had to direct those voice actors to those performances. They didn't direct themselves. Bird was in there coaching, cajoling and working those performances out of them.

I'm very surprised at the number of mediocre, ill-fitting and unproven directors getting thrown around in here. Let me dredge up a name from the past that has done nothing BUT great genre-fare with almost NO missteps whatsoever:

Joe Dante.

Director of Gremlins, The Burbs, innerspace, The Howling. He's got some clunkers on his plate, but the man KNOWS how to direct, and he knows what buttons to push and when. Give him a great Superman Script (preferably written by Dini) and I think you could come up with something approaching Donner's work on the first movie in terms of cinematography and camera-work.

And to throw in my own suggestion as long as we're using pretty much unproven rookie directors:

Francis Lawrence, director of Constantine

Yeah, the screenplay wasn't very faithful--but Lawrence solidly directed that thing, VERY well. People were surprised by the direction, the look, the performances. The movie shouldn't have been as enjoyable as it was, and I think that's solely due to Lawrence's handling of the mishmash he was handed.

Another below the radar pic: Joe Johnston. Not just because of his work on Jurassic Park III, a movie that had NO right to be as entertaining as it was, but for his work in the smaller scale October Sky, mostly a character piece dealing with a lot of the same themes a good Superman movie would deal with. Of course, he's also responsible for "The Rocketeer." as well, and that's one of the best examples of a Comic Book movie there is--even if it's not really based on a Comic.

So there we go. My picks:

Brad Bird
Joe Dante
Francis Lawrence
Joe Johnston

And just for the hell of it:

Frank Darabont.

I want Clint Eastwood to direct SR sequel. Someone who has alot of experience in directing, acting and action.

^ Nah! He might make a 3 HR + superman movie having a totally CGI superman with that same guy he used for King Kong in that motion censor suit.

Fatboy Roberts said:
Brad Bird is a GREAT choice, not only because he knows how to craft perfect character beats, and how to pace his movies, and set up astounding action sequences--but he GETS Superman. Check out Iron Giant for proof of that. SUPERMAN is at the center of that movie.

Plus, his background in animation isn't a knock. Someone had to direct those voice actors to those performances. They didn't direct themselves. Bird was in there coaching, cajoling and working those performances out of them.

I'm very surprised at the number of mediocre, ill-fitting and unproven directors getting thrown around in here. Let me dredge up a name from the past that has done nothing BUT great genre-fare with almost NO missteps whatsoever:

Joe Dante.

Director of Gremlins, The Burbs, innerspace, The Howling. He's got some clunkers on his plate, but the man KNOWS how to direct, and he knows what buttons to push and when. Give him a great Superman Script (preferably written by Dini) and I think you could come up with something approaching Donner's work on the first movie in terms of cinematography and camera-work.

And to throw in my own suggestion as long as we're using pretty much unproven rookie directors:

Francis Lawrence, director of Constantine

Yeah, the screenplay wasn't very faithful--but Lawrence solidly directed that thing, VERY well. People were surprised by the direction, the look, the performances. The movie shouldn't have been as enjoyable as it was, and I think that's solely due to Lawrence's handling of the mishmash he was handed.

Another below the radar pic: Joe Johnston. Not just because of his work on Jurassic Park III, a movie that had NO right to be as entertaining as it was, \.

See, your post was good until right there. Suddenly everything you said is worthless, because lets face it...Jurrassic Park 3 sucked ash.

explode7 said:
^ Nah! He might make a 3 HR + superman movie having a totally CGI superman with that same guy he used for King Kong in that motion censor suit.

What? Did you just make a CGI joke about Peter Jackson? He used CGI for Gollum and Kong, two characters who require CGI. It is not like he is George Lucas and probably would make Superman CGI. That being said I would love it if WB got WETA to do the effects for SR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"