Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, I've never read any currently running comics series (I prefer to wait 'til a story is done and there's some kind of consensus on quality), but you guys are making me want to check out the new Action Comics out of curiosity alone.

Geez, I've never read any currently running comics series (I prefer to wait 'til a story is done and there's some kind of consensus on quality), but you guys are making me want to check out the new Action Comics out of curiosity alone.

It's awesome.

Has a Golden Age flavor to it.

It's awesome.

Has a Golden Age flavor to it.
Just read the 1st two issues and really enjoyed it! I've never read any Golden Age Superman stories before (the closest I've come was watching the Fleischer cartoons I guess), so it took me a minute to get acclimated to this new attitude on Supes...but I like it. :woot:

Morrison is the king I tells ya. THE KING. :)

Best Superman writer working today.

Yeah, the new/old social crusader Superman is pretty awesome. And even in the books that are taking place in the present, like Superman and his guest spots in Supergirl, he just seems...stronger, and more confident. I miss the classic costume but I'm loving the more classic attitude.

I'm loving Action Comics as well. Morrison just continues to knock it out of the park like he always does.

Yeah, the new/old social crusader Superman is pretty awesome. And even in the books that are taking place in the present, like Superman and his guest spots in Supergirl, he just seems...stronger, and more confident. I miss the classic costume but I'm loving the more classic attitude.

Well Cavill has said that the Superman character in Man of Steel mirrors that of the "New 52" Superman, i.e. the Classic Superman.

Well Cavill has said that the Superman character in Man of Steel mirrors that of the "New 52" Superman, i.e. the Classic Superman.

If you're referring to this article

http://www.tgdaily.com/entertainment/59601-cavill-man-of-steel-is-the-new-52-superman

or this

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/11/14/henry-cavill-compares-man-of-steel-to-dcs-new-52-reboot/

... I totally don't get where they ae getting that from. Until I actually read a direct quote from Cavill saying that their Superman mirrors that of the New 52 Superman, i'm taking it as someone's interpretation of what he said blown way out of proportion.

All he said was.

Cavill likened “Man of Steel” to “The New 52” in the way that the script leads readers to identify with an invulnerable hero.
"When [‘The New 52’] came out, everyone went, 'Arrhhh! Everything's changed,'" he said. "It's part of the evolution of the character. There is a modernization to it, and certainly our style is making him easier to associate with because it's pretty tough to associate with an invulnerable alien."

He didn't say that their style was like the New 52 style at all... he just said MOS' take was going to make Superman easier to associate with, and that evolution of character never goes down well (like in the new 52 storyline).

Last edited:
:hehe:

I think everyone who is running with that headline is guilty of the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

But i've read enough interviews to know that MOS and the new 52 storyline are not intentionally connected.

That doesn't mean the characterisation can't be similar tho. I'm very much hoping it is :D

Last edited:
If Henry Cavill is portraying a Superman close to that of the new 52, I will be geeking out big time.

So...silly n00b question: Is the Superman in the New 52 "Superman" title the same as the one in "Action Comics" (particularly characterization-wise)? Because I know Morrison's not writing "Superman," so I was assuming they were different takes.

So...silly n00b question: Is the Superman in the New 52 "Superman" title the same as the one in "Action Comics" (particularly characterization-wise)? Because I know Morrison's not writing "Superman," so I was assuming they were different takes.

Yeah. It's the same Superman 5 years later.

That's not a noobish question at all. :yay: I personally have no clue what's going on in the new DC universe.

As much as I love the DCnU they fudged up the timeline and I have substitute my own.

I really hope that MOS's characterizations end up being really similar to Morrison's in Action Comics because, in particular, I am loving the new Clark Kent. He's an assertive, take charge journalist fighting for social justice but still totally believable as a nerd who is very different from Superman. I think it's a great update of the classic Clark Kent persona that incorporates the good parts of the post-crisis interpretations. I love the way he stands up to the corrupt police in Action Comics # 3, but still looks like a complete dork doing so.

I really hope that MOS's characterizations end up being really similar to Morrison's in Action Comics because, in particular, I am loving the new Clark Kent. He's an assertive, take charge journalist fighting for social justice but still totally believable as a nerd who is very different from Superman. I think it's a great update of the classic Clark Kent persona that incorporates the good parts of the post-crisis interpretations. I love the way he stands up to the corrupt police in Action Comics # 3, but still looks like a complete dork doing so.

I keep meaning to read the new superman comics but I'm confused on where to start.....I see him in jeans and then the robotic like costume.....are they the same story arcs?.....and if not where should I start?

I keep meaning to read the new superman comics but I'm confused on where to start.....I see him in jeans and then the robotic like costume.....are they the same story arcs?.....and if not where should I start?

Action Comics is set 5 years before the Superman title, but is going to fastforward to the present soon.

Start with Action Comics #1

Hey guys! It's really hard to get comics where I live, so does any of you know of any links where I can dowload the first numbers of the new action comics? I really want to read'em; thanx!

:awesome:

Polux

Hey guys! It's really hard to get comics where I live, so does any of you know of any links where I can dowload the first numbers of the new action comics? I really want to read'em; thanx!

Polux

Do you you have an iPad or similar Android device?

Polux

Well, there is Comixology. But as every comic fan knows there are less legal ways (we've all done it!), which were you hoping for?

That's not a noobish question at all. :yay: I personally have no clue what's going on in the new DC universe.
Ha, thanks. I've been a superhero fan since I was a kid thanks to the animated shows from the 90's, and I'd read the odd graphic novel or trade paperback that one of my comic-loving friends would push on me every now and then, but I just started reading comics on my own last month when I got my iPhone and discovered Comixology. So I certainly feel like a noob with all this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"