Superman the Movie Score

Honestly, if they could use the same Bond theme throughout different tones and styles of Bond film, they could bring back the Williams theme. But this version of Superman already has a good, underused theme. The Willaims theme is much better than any Superman theme that came before or after it, but the Zimmer theme is definitely second place.

This.

If people cling to nostalgia regarding Superman, its because WB/DC have generally failed to give people a modern Superman that had the same impact Reeve/Donner/Williams did.

Keep his outdated score back in the 70s along with high pants and C.Lee's afro.

I don't think there's anything outdated about actual orchestrations, seeing as they survived well into the 21st century. In fact more blockbusters these days could use the kind of epic "memorable" orchestrations we used to get to more of, back in the day.

Two composers besides Junkie XL that I see as good options for future Superman movies are:

James Newton Howard: This guy did the soundtrack for Batman Begins alongside Hans Zimmer (praise be :bow:) so he already has experience with epic comic book films. I can totally see him scoring the next solo Man of Steel film.

Steve Jablonsky: Now I know what you're thinking. 'What, the guy who scores all those crappy Michael Bay TF flicks and all the Platinum Dunes horror remakes?'
Well, yes. But once you get past the fact that a lot of said movies are quite crappy, Mr Jablonsky's scores often stand out as quite good. Particularly his score for the first Transformers movie. So I trust him with a sci-fi heavy Superman film.
[YT]rMnEY2eBj4A[/YT]

I think Ramin Djawadi should take over. He's killed it with Game of Thrones and he's currently killing it with Westworld.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because the MoS soundtrack might be my favorite soundtrack, ever.
It is excellent. And honestly, I prefer it to Williams' score. Especially the main theme renditions in the MoS suite. So powerful and inspiring. Hans just had to have a simple piano statement for Clark and the rest followed.

James Newton Howard would be perfect for Aquaman.

Two other candidates for the Man of Steel sequel that come to mind are Henry Jackman and John Ottman. I thought of this because, for all the divisiveness of the X-Men film series, they have some absolutely beautiful music.

Henry Jackman absolutely killed it with the soundtrack for X-Men: First Class. It was epic, emotional, and gets your blood pumping for some great superhero action.
[YT]bf30aRsES6A[/YT]

I know many of us still have the bad taste of Superman Returns in our mouths even after ten years, but John Ottman's soundtrack was not bad at all despite being tied down to the themes from the Donner films. And in X2 and DOFP he displayed his talent magnificently.
After Man of Steel's music got me feeling all sorts of feelings, "Xavier's Theme" followed up the next year and actually drew some real tears from me.
[YT]MH4uuWITmgY[/YT]

Just imagine ^^that^^ kind of music playing in a Superman film.

Last edited:
I'm one of the few fans that felt that SR didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. I think SR is arguably one of Ottman's best scores. When it comes to his superhero/cbm output he hit his peak with that score, imo. DOFP and X:A pales in comparison to SR and X2 even, imo.

Also "Hope (Xavier's Theme)"is a blatant rip off Zimmer's "Time" from Inception, imo. It really takes me out of those moments.

HOLY F*** GUYS! watch this. Zimmer has used the original Superman theme.

[YT]9WxWbQhDhDo[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"