Will Hans Zimmer Score Superman?

Zimmer....interesting...but unsurprising at the same time. :O If Snyder will be going for some dark and bombastic themes/images, they pretty-much got the go-to guy for the music.

I also hope that the score will be completely original and not use any of Williams' stuff. If for nothing else but to complete the picture in terms of a new/original take altogether, and giving the new film its own identity throughout.

Plus....just the thought of Zimmer doing Williams....it's like Metallica doing the Rolling Stones. Both have their upsides in their own right....but....no. :O

Are you thinking that Zimmer is doing the score? Because he isn't.

I don't disagree, but I wasn't referring to Williams' score in the Donner films. Instead, I was talking about Ottman's score that just used portions of the main theme one-too-many-times, incapable of breaking away from it enough to cater to the the needs of its own film.

Ottman didn't use the main theme one-too-many-times. Plus SR is a direct sequel to the first two Reeve films so what did you expect. He had to use some of the themes that Williams created.

Ottman used snippets of the main theme during "Rough Flight". He used the full theme when the audience applauded Superman's return at the Baseball stadium, which was appropriate, imo.

When Superman was flying around Metropolis with Lois the emotional theme, which Ottman created for Superman in this film, was carrying most of the scene. With the Lois Lane theme making a big statement as they approach the DP. While the emotional theme wrapped up the rest of that cue.

The scene where Supes was saving Meteropolis the Superman theme was barely used in that scene if I recall. I think he used a snippet of it when he was landing with the DP globe over his shoulders.

The "So Long Superman" cue/scene was mostly carried by Ottman's emotional theme, while the Superman theme made a big statement towards the end of the cue showing defeat and loss.

During Supes suncharge Ottman used his emotional theme to carry that sequence.

I noticed mostly during the third act Ottman uses the Superman theme when Superman is doing something majestic or "super" if you will. Like when Superman was lifting the other half of Luthors sinking ship while Lois, Richard and Jason were stuck inside, as well as when Superman was lifting the kryptonite continent into orbit/space, and the final scene which is a homage to the other films. Ottman did let the emotional theme carry most or half of the final flight sequence before the Superman theme came in to wrap the movie up though.

I don't think Ottman relied too much on the themes from the other films. He used the Lois Lane theme vaguely in three scenes. The scene where Clark sees Lois (on the tv screen) for the first time in five years, the scene where he follows Lois with his x-ray vision as she's using the elevator to meet up with Supes on the rooftop, and towards the end of the Metropolis flying sequence with Lois . Ottman was actually against using the theme at first but succumbed to it eventually in a good way. I'm not going to count the end credits. That used the LL theme as well.

The "Leaving Home/Smallville" theme was only used in his flashback/ childhood sequence and when Ma Kent was waiting outside of the hospital for her son to be alive. The theme was used sparingly and vaguely.

The Krypton theme was used at the opening scene b/c it was a direct homage to the first film. The theme made a big statement during the overhead/panning shot of Luthor and his gang approaching the FOS. He used the theme for the last time when Supes mentions what was left of Krypton during Lois' interview with him on the DP roof.

Ottman didn't bother using Williams' "March of the Viillains" theme for Luthor again and instead wrote a darker more sinister Luthor theme to match Spacey's more darker mad scientist approach to Hackman's.

Again Ottman didn't rely on the themes too much when used. Second this is a sequel to the Donner film. Therefore he had to stay true to William's themes for continuity's sake.

So I believe Ottman went the right direction for his SR score. I really don't get all the fuss that Ottman get's for this. His score for SR is a lot better than his F4 scores, imo.

I don't disagree, but I wasn't referring to Williams' score in the Donner films. Instead, I was talking about Ottman's score that just used portions of the main theme one-too-many-times, incapable of breaking away from it enough to cater to the the needs of its own film.
Plus, aside from the note-for-note sections...Ottman's 'revisions' and versions of it were rather sickening....the stuff on the roof with the 'love theme' being the worst of it.

Seriously? I thought this thread was here because he was.

Was it a rumor that was debunked?

Yes! Ugh, we need a mod to change the title.

Zimmer confirmed a few pages back that he will not be working on Superman, has never met Snyder, and would not want to work on Superman either because what Williams did was iconic and he doesn't think he could create a theme that's as good.

It was just an unfounded rumor. AINC wrong once again.

Yes! Ugh, we need a mod to change the title.

Zimmer confirmed a few pages back that he will not be working on Superman, has never met Snyder, and would not want to work on Superman either because what Williams did was iconic and he doesn't think he could create a theme that's as good.

It was just an unfounded rumor. AINC wrong once again.

Ah.

Oh well....back to the drawing board. :O

somebody needs to delete the thread, because it's depressing

Yep...

"would not want to work on Superman either because what Williams did was iconic and he doesn't think he could create a theme that's as good"

Coward...

I imagine something will make him eat those words again. I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up doing it after all...

I'm not saying Zimmer is scoring Superman but I remember when they said Nolan wasn't producing Superman. Could it be another one of those situations where they just don't feel ready to confirm it?!

It's not exactly a huge loss if he's not doing it. There are several other excellent composers out there, some of which could probably be a better choice for a Superman movie anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"