BvS What kind of score do you want for the sequel?

Love the zimmer, but I'd like to hear smething different this time around. Howard Shore perhaps

while I loved the Man Of Steel score, I do think it was missing something, it didnt really........"feel" like a Superman theme, just a hero one. Maybe Hans can throw in some trumpets for the next one lol.

Aside from that I wouldn't mind a soundtrack to go along with the movie, but not a typical "oh this is a catchy song from today, lets promote it in the movie"....no, none of that ****, something like what Zack did with Watchmen, get some kick ass old school music in there, a little Hendricks, maybe Elvis, you gotta have the Rolling Stones lol something like that :D

I would take Howard Shore over Zimmer without thinking twice. I think he'd give us an awesome, triumphant sounding Superman score fit for SUPERMAN. :up:

I like this idea.

I really wanted Shore for Man of Steel, but for obvious reasons that was never going to happen, but I'd love to see him do the score for WF

I would take Howard Shore over Zimmer without thinking twice. I think he'd give us an awesome, triumphant sounding Superman score fit for SUPERMAN. :up:

I like this idea.
I very much like this idea as well. :up:

With you on that, big time. Zimmer is so versatile, he is the John Williams of today. (did you know he did the music for Kung Fu Panda and the Lion King, which is why I think there was a little Lion King vibe in the birth scene).

Yeah Zimmer is at times versatile. I wouldn't know it from listening to his scores for TDKT or MOS, imo. And he's not even in the same ballpark as Williams. So enough of the comparisons. Nobody, imo, is the next John Williams. NOBODY!!!

I thought MOS was a much better overall score than DKR, less bombastic
and a lot more "soft" gentle movements to even out the emotional scheme of the film.

Both scores are on the same level of mediocrity, imo. TDKR is the weakest Batman score I ever heard, imo. He was the wrong guy for MOS. Should've hired Powell or somebody more capable and inspired. Someone who doesn't confuse droning, drum banging, and noise as actual music.

In terms of its completeness, check out the "What are you going to do when you're not saving the world ?" track , which is the end title music.

It starts of softly, with the "family" theme, just the piano, and then the drums come in (I thought in particular the drums were so well used, to set the tempo of the film) and finally it builds to a really epic blast. It pretty much covers the feeling of the whole film. How people could come out and say that they didn't feel hopeful ? I don't know maybe they saw "The conjuring" by
mistake, and just thought they'd seen MOS. LOL

It's hard to feel hopeful in a movie where the superhero that's suppose to represent altruism is causing as much damage and harm to Smallville and Metropolis as the villains were. If Superman wants to inspire hope and earn the world's trust he failed miserably. I didn't feel any hope in Zimmers score either. If I heard the score on album I'd probably feel a swelling headache instead of hope. IDK how his score was suppose to represent "honest folk" or "America". LOL

I would be bold enough to say that the MOS score is a notch up even from
the Dark Knight score, which was an epic masterpiece, just a little too OTT.

TDK score wasn't a masterpiece by any means. And I disagree about MOS being a better score. At least TDK had JNH, which was the best thing about the first two TDK scores, imho.

Although I think the Harvey Dent theme was a brilliant element, and that track that plays when Harvey holds Gordon's family hostage - Zimmer gets
the mood just right, you are horrified, but feel pity for Dent. I thought Zimmer's Zod theme was great, a little shade of the Imperial March,
had a nice epic feel (like when Jor-El escapes from the council chamber and sees that civil war has exploded on Krypton).

Speaking of JNH he was the one responsible for both those tracks you thought were "brilliant" ("Harvey Two-Face" and "Watch The World Burn") and not Zimmer.

While I was a huge fan of Williams original Superman march, it would have
seemed out of place in MOS. Zimmer got it exactly right.

While it might've been out of place for MOS it was still a heck of a lot better than what the "king of loud noise" came up with. I get the feeling of "truth, justice, and the American way" when hearing Williams' Superman march. In fact the BS Zimmer was saying about his score representing "honest american good folk" or whatever can be applied more to Williams score. Zimmer's MOS score was just TDK lite.

If Zimmer's going to score BM v SM, which makes sense for continuity's sake,
they should reuse elements of the BB/DK score, with new elements for any new characters (which he's shown he can do). No, Zimmer's the only man
for the job.

Zimmer wil definitely be scoring MOS2. I mean BMVSSM, whether I like it or not. For contnuity's sake and b/c Snyder and co. loved what he did with MOS. Didn't Snyder say something like "Zimmer crushed it" with MOS? He hasn't any idea how much Zimmer crushed the MOS score. LOL!

Having said that, the only other worthy movie film composers, who can actually make you a bit emotional with their scores......Michael Giacchino
and Howard Shore. Otherwise, it's gotta be Zimmer all the way.

You mean make "you". I believe (for me) there's a few other composers who can make me emotional with their scores, but I agree about you on all three composers even Zimmer. Eventhough I didn't find anything emotional about his MOS score. The first two scores for TDKT were somewhat emotional, imo, b/c of JNH. He was the heart of those scores imo. That's why I felt Zimmer's TDKR score was lacking a lot. I found other Zimmer scores more emotional like for example, Black Rain, Gladiator, The Da Vinci Code, and Angels & Demons.

I do think that they need a different composer from Hans Zimmer. I don't want him to rechurn out his TDK score. That is bound to influence him anyway. Even some of his score to the Bible mini series sounded a bit like that.

I also want something more hopeful, upbeat and rousing for the Superman score. Something which gives the feeling of motion and flying, similar to the Williams score, although it doesn't have to be that per se. I don't want generic horns playing without a melody, that's for sure.

Also I think Batman needs a more distinctive score himself - something like the Danny Elfman score that is immediately recognisable.

Do people just want scores like Alan Silvestri's Captain America march and Avengers theme for Superman?

[YT]XO_WymVE6O0[/YT]

[YT]Y1fiJMQV8Mc[/YT]

Seems a bit cheesy to me and I don't see this Superman following this tone. I'm thinking the movie would follow a similar tone set up to the fan trailer nearly 2 million people have seen.

[YT]U4U4he3GgC4[/YT]

Don't get me wrong I don't want Dark Knight 2.0(Batman shouldn't set the tone for all DC movies!), but more stuff like "What are you going to do when you're not saving the world?"/"Ideal of Hope" is always nice. Now that Zod's gone, I don't think we'll be hearing many of the scores that are typically associated with him like "If you love these people" etc.

I do hope though that even if there is a new composer, we still get bits of the MOS theme just to connect it to the earlier movie. The piano intro sounds like something they could play in a quieter moment after the big Batman/ Superman battle.

I've been listening to the MOS main theme quite a lot recently. I thought the theme was good and quite epic, but then just one listen to John Williams's Superman theme made me remember again why it is infinitely better and more iconic.

As much as I'd like the composer to retain elements of the MOS theme, I definitely want something more fanfare-like and rousing, with more trumpets and horns this time round.

Hans Zimmer will probably score the film again but I would like to see someone.

I prefer composers are kept for sequels as long as their score for the predecessor isn't mediocre. So I wouldn't be disappointed if Zimmer was replaced.

I support Shore. :up:

Last edited:
Arcade is so awesome though. I doubt Zimmer can use it again since it's so closely tied to Zod but I'm hoping for something to that level.

I do hope though that even if there is a new composer, we still get bits of the MOS theme just to connect it to the earlier movie. The piano intro sounds like something they could play in a quieter moment after the big Batman/ Superman battle.

That's what I loved about Shirley Walker. She knew how to deconstruct a theme, incorporate fragments throughout... she even did it with other composers' material (like using Elfman's Batman theme in B:tAS before she supplanted it with her own). If she was still alive, she could do that with "Flight" -- especially since she had worked with Zimmer before -- and add more orchestral color to it.

It's coincidental that these three scored different iterations of the same character, but never worked with one another (at the same time).

Last edited:
It's also a shame that Jerry Goldsmith (and apparently his son Joel) is dead. His Star Trek themes are great. He also did Supergirl as well. Say what you will about that movie, but the theme is fantastic and in fact probably one of the best comic book themes out there. I wouldn't mind something like that for Superman's theme. That could even have worked for the original Superman theme if John Williams hadn't composed for the film.

All I could think of while listening to thwe Supergirl theme was "Is this what we would've gotten if Joel hadn't dropped out of StM? Thank GOD". I hate that theme.

Arcade is so awesome though. I doubt Zimmer can use it again since it's so closely tied to Zod but I'm hoping for something to that level.

or it could just become a general battle theme when Superman gets into the climatic fight?

dont want zimmer gone mos score was one of the best scores i have listened to in some time and best super hero theme i have heard since elfman's spiderman

zimmer's mos theme was hopeful and optimistic yet also sweeping and epic and also filled with energy and inspiration

Yup, Zimmer (once more) did it right. I want him back.

And you can bet your ass that Snyder will ask of him to create a Batman theme.

Yup, Zimmer (once more) did it right. I want him back.

And you can bet your ass that Snyder will ask of him to create a Batman theme.

I love Hans Zimmer for everything he ever made, he could make walking across the street sound epic if he wanted to. Problem with that there is Zimmer's got to reinvent the wheel again by creating an awesome defining Batman theme again lol. I hope he had some drafts of previous ideas that he had for Batman Begins or something lying around he could use. I think it's unanimous here that we don't want him making a rehash of or reusing this:

[YT]w1B3Mgklfd0[/YT]

He had about 30 quasi-themes in the TDKT. This time they'll probably go for a singular theme, like the one Superman got.

Definitely want Zimmer to return and he'll more than likely will.

Yeah I hope Zimmer, Synder and co all got on great and he'll want to come back.

Seriously I need to hear 'Flight' again in another Superman film. It gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it, same as Williams' original theme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"