Superman Returns Superman Theme

javi1024

DANGER ZONE!
Reaction score
for all those who have seen the new trailer, do you think the old John Williams theme isnt working with the new Superman. there are times where it works perfectly (like in the teaser with Marlon Brando's voice-over). but watching him trying to save that plane and deflecting the bullets with the old theme playing doesnt seem to fit anymore.

^^^ NEVER!!!

It is good to add some new themes to the overall soundtrack, but no one should ever mess with the Williams title theme.

The only reason that the music doesn't fit right now is the editing of the trailers...mark my words, when you get the Williams theme playing during the first time Clark rips his shirt open, it will be the finest movie moment of the summer :up:

javi1024 said:
for all those who have seen the new trailer, do you think the old John Williams theme isnt working with the new Superman. there are times where it works perfectly (like in the teaser with Marlon Brando's voice-over). but watching him trying to save that plane and deflecting the bullets with the old theme playing doesnt seem to fit anymore.

Are you kidding? It fits perfect regardless of the scene. It's possibly the greatest score ever. There is never a moment that it doesn't fit.

but watching him trying to save that plane and deflecting the bullets with the old theme playing doesnt seem to fit anymore.

What?!? I was hestitant about the movie when I first saw the costume (last year?), but as soon as I heard the score in the trailer, I was hooked. The score is as iconic as the character itself. If Singer linking the film with the Donner versions, he has to include the score.

As much as I like the visuals in the trailer, the score brought the most emotion to me. I just can't see how anyone can question the Williams score. It is absoulutely perfect.

i like the williams score but javi1024 is right, the last part didnt fit quite with the scenes, i thoguht i was the only one who felt that way, however after watching the international trailer and listening to Ottmans score at the beginning and almost halfway of it , and the way he modernize it by adding chorus and stuff, i just went wow thats awesome. but yea it defintely needed a few changes, and its also known that it wont be as long as it use to be .

matthooper said:
Are you kidding? It fits perfect regardless of the scene. It's possibly the greatest score ever. There is never a moment that it doesn't fit.
in the first trailer, they started playing the music and it was fine. then it started sounding like it was going to build up to something, but then when jimmy said lois was missing and it was the same song, i didnt feel the danger cuz the music was still upbeat.

the newest trailer was much better. it felt alot more dramatic. im not saying get rid of the theme. im saying modernize it.

I love the way they have brought back the original theme with only a few minor changes. I can never get tired of that Superman theme!

Forgive me for asking something that is probably well-known here, but I'm not sure, so I'm gonna ask;

Will they be using Williams' main theme for at least the opening credits?

Gabroni said:
Forgive me for asking something that is probably well-known here, but I'm not sure, so I'm gonna ask;

Yes, they (Singer and Co) would be hunted down and killed if it were not the opening credits...they know this and wisely decided to use it in at least the opening...hoepfully more.:supes:

Superman definitely needs the theme. Batman, on the other hand, needed a new start. I love Burton's theme, but it wouldn't have worked in Begins. Williams' theme is essential for Returns.

javi1024 said:
but then when jimmy said lois was missing and it was the same song, i didnt feel the danger cuz the music was still upbeat.

Haha. I was complaining about the same exact thing in another thread. Whoever cut that trailer should be shot.

Gabroni said:

i think i read somewhere that Singer is even going to do the see-through 3D text like in the first films opening credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"