Superman: Year One by Frank Miller

This man should never be allowed to write anything having to do with Superman.

I've got great love for Batman: Year One, but current Miller is... hard to trust.

There's certainly curiosity that I'm feeling, but I'm not going to get too invested until I see good reason to be.

I don't mind Miller writing Superman. It's JRJR doing art that actually puts me off.

"Current Miller" essentially = 21st century Miller for me. Creatively, he's exactly who he's been for quite awhile.

This idea is bat**** insane. It's obvious he doesn't care for Superman, even if he expresses those feelings in a joking manner. I mean this is just goofy.

i actually hated year one .
the end was just so terrible.
as for frank miller
he seems to need alot of cash in money
before he dies

Miller's Batman from the 1994 Batman-Spawn crossover was the same guy that we saw in All Star. So he lost it well before the current century.

After Miller wrote the racist garbage known as Holy Terror, I'm not touching anything new he writes.

That's one oddball combination for a Superman story. So he's going to be an authoritarian jerkass while looking weird.

john-romita-jrs-superman-cover-art-for-geoff-johns-issue-32-preview.jpg

Last edited:
"Current Miller" essentially = 21st century Miller for me. Creatively, he's exactly who he's been for quite awhile.

I refer to this as "Post-9/11 Miller" since that seems to be what broke him.

That's one oddball combination for a Superman story. So he's going to be an authoritarian jerkass while looking weird.

john-romita-jrs-superman-cover-art-for-geoff-johns-issue-32-preview.jpg

I'd give JRJR the benefit of the doubt over Miller, because I do like some of his stuff, but it's not for everyone and can quite often look caveman-y.

His recent interview with Deadline makes me think that he's not going for the traditional hard-ass take on the character that he's known for.

"My feeling right now is that pure cynicism is a refuge. It’s a place where cowards go. You have to repel it with idealism and purpose. The work I’ve got planned in the future…some people might be disappointed about how un-cynical it is."

That's interesting to hear. But at this stage of the game, I have a hard time imagining that divorcing himself from his style will do any favors for the overall quality.

Okay, that's interesting. I generally like Miller and (like many) love Batman: Year One. What's the story behind this? Is this going to be another new canon origin for Superman?

I never understood why Superman gets pegged as the authoritarian. Batman is so obviously the authoritarian and superman would be fighting against it.

That quote is so un-Miller, and in this case I'm pleased to read it.

Last edited:
The only time when I liked Miller writing Superman was in the last issue of DKIII when he had Batman admit to himself in shock that Superman has been holding back all this time and that he could've wiped the floor with him whenever he pleased.

I never understood why Superman gets pegged as the authoritarian. Batman is so obviously the authoritarian and superman would be fighting against it.

Maybe they mean as in the government lackey, representing authority.

I hate JRJR's artwork. If they want to approach the same level as with Batman y1, they should atleast get a decent penciller.
I would have loved to see Cliff Chiang on this.

If this is even close to the quality of Batman Year One, I'm in.

BY1 is IMO the second greatest Batman story, only after DKR.

Now I haven't liked Miller's more recent work on Batman, but I'm still hoping he can recapture a little bit of that magic he had back in the 80s.

DKR, BY1 and Elektra Assassin were the greatest comic stories of my generation, but for Watchmen (which is unquestionably the greatest, and in terms of great superhero stories I feel that Moore's work on Miracleman has been immensely underrated !)

DKR, BY1 and Elektra Assassin were the greatest comic stories of my generation, but for Watchmen (which is unquestionably the greatest, and in terms of great superhero stories I feel that Moore's work on Miracleman has been immensely underrated !)

I own all three volumes of Moore's Miracleman. Fantastic - I actually prefer it to Watchmen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"