Taika Waititi - Next Goal Wins

The priest from HFTWP is back!? :D

FuqwKNAWYAAlb-N

This was filmed 1 year before Thor4? in 2020? :deadpan:

For those interested in a fun comparison between the original documentary and this new iteration.

Searchlight Pictures release schedule comparison:

Jojo Rabbit
Teaser Trailer - July 23rd
Official Trailer - September 3rd
World Premiere - September 8th
Release Date - October 18th

Next Goal Wins
Teaser Trailer - April 26th
Official Trailer - ???
World Premiere - September 10th
Release Date - November 17th

Last edited:
TIFF has seemingly updated the movie’s page with the showings and other relevant info. The films length is 103 minutes and in comparison with his other smaller projects.

Jojo Rabbit - 1 hour and 48 minutes
Next Goal Wins - 1 hour and 43 minutes
Hunt For The Wilderpeople - 1 hour and 41 minutes
Eagle vs Shark - 1 hour and 34 minutes
Boy - 1 hour and 28 minutes
What We Do In The Shadows - 1 hour and 26 minutes

The film’s showings:

Sunday, September 10 - Visa Screening Room at the Princess of Wales Theatre - 6:45 PM
Monday, September 11 - Scotiabank Theatre Toronto / Press & Industry - 8:30 AM
Tuesday, September 12 - Visa Screening Room at the Princess of Wales Theatre - 6:30 PM
Thursday, September 14 - Royal Alexandra Theatre - 5:30 PM
Saturday, September 16 - Scotiabank Theatre Toronto / Press & Industry - 9:15 AM

Next Goal Wins

But even if the outcome — chronicled in a documentary by Mike Brett and Steve Jamison — is known, the pleasure comes from watching the characters on the pitch, Indigenous Samoan players who mostly sucked, mostly knew it, and still played their hearts out.

Fassbender is the star here, in a rare comic turn, but the discovery is Kaimana, who plays real-life team member Jaiyah. Like Jaiyah, Kaimana is a member of American Samoa's fa’afafine or non-binary community and delivers a performance that's warm, deep, and commanding in every scene.

Like Eagle vs. Shark, Boy, and Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Next Goal Wins is rich with both Waititi's sideways humour, and his embrace of the weird, vulnerable, and unpredictable in all of us.

Last edited:
54% on RT after 24 reviews.

And there's this:
Here's Why Taika Waititi's New Film Is Being Called Transphobic

According to Charles Bramesco at The Playlist, while Kaimana is a standout in the film, she and her gender are not treated with respect by the characters or the movie itself.

“Secret weapon Jaiyah (the mononymous, nonbinary, altogether transfixing Kaimana) initially baffles Thomas (Michael Fassbener as the white American coach sent to lead the team) with her gender identity of fa’afafine, taken for granted in the Pacific as an important piece of the local cultural heritage.”

“He deadnames her to motivate her during practice,” he continues. “Then, after she knocks him out, she’s sent on the high road of apology to him for a reconciliatory heart-toheart in which she smiles through an invasive inquiry about her genitals.”

“The movie’s emotional climax uses her transition with a vulgar blatancy of purpose, just so Thomas can give her the pep talk that instantly dissolves her dysphoria,” the review says.

I’ll refrain from commenting on whatever the new controversy is. At this point it’s all just sort of a flavor of the week sort of thing.

Anyways regarding the film’s below average reception, it’s a shame but not unexpected by any means. I used to really appreciate Taika’s older filmography, his sense of humor/pathos and quirky personality translated well into his filmography but now I feel that it’s all in the past. I’m of the opinion that Taika got swollen up by Hollywood and unfortunately what were getting back nowadays is a regurgitated version of himself and his projects.

A bit harsh maybe but I do feel that he took some bad turns in his career/personal life which directly impacted himself and his work and I doubt we’ll see a good/great Taika project in the near future. Maybe one day when he decides to straightens up a few things, get back down to earth and really focus on himself/projects that he might be able to do some sort of a comeback. Meanwhile i guess we’ll just have to brace ourselves to what misstep might be next and to what point will the studios keep having faith in a loose and unreliable cannon.

He got himself into this position and he can get himself out of it, once he understands where things started to go wrong and what changes are need to be made in his own life.

I’ll refrain from commenting on whatever the new controversy is. At this point it’s all just sort of a flavor of the week sort of thing.

Anyways regarding the film’s below average reception, it’s a shame but not unexpected by any means. I used to really appreciate Taika’s older filmography, his sense of humor/pathos and quirky personality translated well into his filmography but now I feel that it’s all in the past. I’m of the opinion that Taika got swollen up by Hollywood and unfortunately what were getting back nowadays is a regurgitated version of himself and his projects.

A bit harsh maybe but I do feel that he took some bad turns in his career/personal life which directly impacted himself and his work and I doubt we’ll see a good/great Taika project in the near future. Maybe one day when he decides to straightens up a few things, get back down to earth and really focus on himself/projects that he might be able to do some sort of a comeback. Meanwhile i guess we’ll just have to brace ourselves to what misstep might be next and to what point will the studios keep having faith in a loose and unreliable cannon.

He got himself into this position and he can get himself out of it, once he understands where things started to go wrong and what changes are need to be made in his own life.
In what world is transphobia a "flavor of the week"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"