Taika Waititi - Next Goal Wins

HammerDown

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to water...“
Reaction score

Before Taika Waititi heads back to the Marvel universe, he’ll take on a mysterious new project.

Sources tell Variety that Waititi is attached to write and direct an untitled project as his next film with Fox Searchlight landing rights to distribute. Plot details are currently unknown.

Waititi recently signed back on for “Thor: Love and Thunder,” which forced him to postpone his “Akira” movie at Warner Bros., as the size of the anime adaptation would not give him enough time to focus on “Thor,” which Marvel wants him to shoot at the top of 2020. Garrett Basch is producing the Fox Searchlight pic as are Jonathan Cavendish and Andy Serkis through their Imaginarium banner.

Once Waititi was on board, Fox Searchlight worked aggressively to land the rights to the film, which has already been greenlit for a fall shoot. Fox Searchlight and Waititi recently worked together on his satire “Jojo Rabbit,” and the studio plans to give the movie a strong awards-season campaign after its October release.

It's great to see Waititi having success in both the blockbuster scene with Thor as well as doing his smaller films, but on a Hollywood scale. I'm really looking forward to Jojo Rabbit and getting another Fox Searchlight film in between that and Thor just feels like a nice, unexpected bonus.

We can now report that the film is called Next Goal Wins, an adaptation of the 2014 documentary of the same name. The original film was directed by Mike Brett and Steve Jamison and follows the National Football Team of American Samoa as they attempt to turn around their disastrous record (they infamously lost 31-0 to Australia in 2001) and qualify for the FIFA World Cup with the help of new Coach Thomas Rongen. Waititi wrote the screenplay with Iain Morris.
Taika signing in to do another movie for Fox Searchlight tells me 2 things. That FSL loved working with him and that they are very happy with how Jojo Rabbit turned out.

Regarding the concept for the movie I think it might be interesting. Gotta watch the documentary.

Taika signing in to do another movie for Fox Searchlight tells me 2 things. That FSL loved working with him and that they are very happy with how Jojo Rabbit turned out.

Regarding the concept for the movie I think it might be interesting. Gotta watch the documentary.
It tells me Disney is very happy having him at their studios. :hehe:

It tells me Disney is very happy having him at their studios. :hehe:
Yep i think so too. I thought WB blinked with Taika and Akira so Disney immediately jumped in and took him away to make T4. By the looks of it they really want him in their ranks. All of these are under the Disney(FSL and Fox) umbrella.
Ragnarok - Actor / Director
AEG - Actor
Jojo Rabbit - Actor / Director / Writer
Mandalorian - Actor / Director
Next Goal Wins - "Actor" / Director / Writer
Free Guy - Actor
Thor: Love and Thunder - "Actor" / Director / Writer

Last edited:
I'm no betting man but looking at that description and taking into account what Jason Momoa said a while ago i wouldn't be surprised if this is the "art" he was talking about back in March.

Could be. And you know the Rock will want some kinda cameo.

Also someone made a very good observation that the trailer for the documentary is basically a Taika Waititi movie and now i can't unsee it. :D With that in mind i see this fitting Taika's style quite comfortably.

Oh great more diversity being shoved down my throat.

More please.

Oh great more diversity being shoved down my throat.

More please.
No-one demands you see the movie.
If you aren't interested just let it go and move on with your life.

I'm no betting man but looking at that description and taking into account what Jason Momoa said a while ago i wouldn't be surprised if this is the "art" he was talking about back in March.

Could be. And you know the Rock will want some kinda cameo.
Honestly, with Momoa, The Rock and Taika so high profile, I'm shocked we haven't gotten a major blockbuster based in Polynesian mythology at this point. It would be pretty great, I'd say.

Feels like ages since I last him in anything.

Don’t really know her. Who is she? Is she good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"