The Dark Knight Rises TDKR palette.

OutOfBoose

#ReleaseTheAyerCut
Reaction score
I don't know if this topic was brought up in the past, but I find the palette of TDKR to be quite annoying. Everything is bluish and skin is orange. Especially in outdoor scenes. It felt ill. Maybe it was done on purpose, but more natural colors, like in other Nolan movies, wouldn't hurt.

Or am I wrong?

Also, overall image quality. I'd post some examples and comparisons, but I can't until I get the BD.

I like it personally. But maybe thats just cause blue is my favorite color, hah

It was bluish because they had to give the sense that it was cold, even though most of the major sequences were shot in the summer. :funny: It was actually quite impressive, especially in the football stadium and the City Hall fight scene. IIRC it was in the 80s and humid when they shot both scenes, but it feels COLD when you watch the film.

I thought this had the most natural looking palette out of all three films, but I'm certainly not an expert on this stuff.

I love the color pallet in the film. It gives it a distinctly monochromatic look that gives it a unique visual language from the other two films, which also had their own color schemes.

I thought this had the most natural looking palette out of all three films, but I'm certainly not an expert on this stuff.
Yeah. It isn't as noticeable as the other two.

I love the color pallet in the film. It gives it a distinctly monochromatic look that gives it a unique visual language from the other two films, which also had their own color schemes.

But does it have a watermark, Mr. Bateman?

Pfister always goes for the natural , realistic style , and not the flashy or over-stylized compositions. He kinda preaches naturalism in the shots he create (dont confuse this with no lighting , or to lit a scene with only natural lighting). He doesn't even do digital intermediate for color correction.

The outside shots are tremendous , specially knowing when they filmed it (the snow usually is used for high contrast , but in here its captured in a much more natural way). He has great eyes to be able to achieve that , because usually they go for some blocking (i think americans call it flags) , diffusion panels and bam. He's a really talented guy. And he does all this , even with Imax , we cant forget its a little more difficult to hide some artificial lights , yet everything feels very homogeneous (and its also very hard to maneuver). A fantastic technical achievement.

I noticed a progression of palettes. When Selina meets Stryver with her insurance (the Congressman), the palette is reminiscent of Begins. While Batman is pursing the mercenaries and being chased by the GPD, the palette is similar to that of The Dark Knight. Then you get to the palette for TDKR.

But we even see the color palette of BB during some areas on TDK though. It's not the first time we've seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"