Tech Demo: Facial Expressions

Middle one looks like Anthony Hopkins. I'm telling you, we're gonna be playing and controlling real people renders one day...

Wasn't something similar to this said to be featured in GTAIV? If so, the real-time use isn't nearly as fascinating as the tech demos.

That video right there is truly astonishing, but I don't think we'll be seeing that type of realism until the next era of consoles.

Wasn't something similar to this said to be featured in GTAIV? If so, the real-time use isn't nearly as fascinating as the tech demos.

That video right there is truly astonishing, but I don't think we'll be seeing that type of realism until the next era of consoles.

I don't think someone like this was used in GTA. I think it was just traditional motion capture.

Pausing it at 8 seconds = blow up doll hilarity.

The facial animation in those are slightly better.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/99022.html

mhdnx2.jpg

ehiuk8.jpg

316t0fo.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/123856.html

5uqwbm.jpg

Facial modeling and facial animation are two different things.

It's like that put too many pores on their face. Nobody has that many pores.

There stylized to be more gruff, the early unfinished head models were smoother and less detailed. If you make a head too realistic, you enter uncanny valley ALA Beowulf. Mass Effect kinda got that problem with the eye's alittle. The Tech demo kinda get's that more because there is 3 different heads doing the exact same animations.

cryspcscrnm1e9ep.jpg

Yeah, if you completely ignore the eyes, those faces are pretty much photorealistic, especially the female one.

There are tons of pores on people's faces. Just not that big and noticeable.

Obviously, you have not seen Lawrence Fishburn on the Mission Impossible III Blu-Ray. ;)

Or Tom Itagaki... He makes Lawrence Fishburn look like Natalie Portman, in that regard.

52e27130cn2.jpg

But yeah, I think they kind of went overboard w/ that Crysis model. It seems almost like it's drifting into racial caricature territory.

Yeah, if you completely ignore the eyes, those faces are pretty much photorealistic, especially the female one.

I think they used Ziyi Zhangs as an "unofficial" reference. It looks alot like her.

Obviously, you have not seen Lawrence Fishburn on the Mission Impossible III Blu-Ray. ;)

Or Tom Itagaki... He makes Lawrence Fishburn look like Natalie Portman, in that regard.

ninjagaidenii2008012910hy6.jpg

But yeah, I think they kind of went overboard. It seems almost like it's drifting into racial caricature territory.

The video''s don't really convey it, you don't really get that dead eye syndrome you get with Mass Effect, it's anatomically correct but stylized, they are charactertures deliberately for a reason ( not because they are closet racists) you don't get any odd awkwardness. From the tech demo above the models look somewhat stylized as well, presumably to try counteract the weird awkwardness. Still kinda freaky though.

Are the top and bottom images the "real" Emily?

If you stare at it long enough you can tell there's something a little off about the face, but at first glance you assume it's real. Which is the true test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"