Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987 TV series)

BlueLightning

Caballero de la Luz
Reaction score
I realized there is no thread for the classic cartoon, so I made one. I recently started to watch some of the episodes, when I was a kid I always liked it, but I never followed the series in order. So to start the discussion, I found that perhaps the writers were fans of Watchmen.

For example, in "Enter The Fly", when Baxter is in the disintegration chamber with the fly, he looks like Dr. Manhattan getting blasted in the chamber:
BaxterFly.jpg

I thought it was a little farfetched at first, but then I saw something more.

And in "Splinter No More", the monster that comes out of the dimensional portal is very similar to Ozymandias alien:
DimensionalMonster.jpg

And that's that. Discuss.

I always associated Baxter's Transformation in the disentegration chamber with the transformation from the " Fly ", and the tentacle monster with HP. Lovecraft.

Anyone picking up the complete series? I might just order mine next week.

I realized there is no thread for the classic cartoon, so I made one. I recently started to watch some of the episodes, when I was a kid I always liked it, but I never followed the series in order. So to start the discussion, I found that perhaps the writers were fans of Watchmen.

For example, in "Enter The Fly", when Baxter is in the disintegration chamber with the fly, he looks like Dr. Manhattan getting blasted in the chamber:
BaxterFly.jpg

I thought it was a little farfetched at first, but then I saw something more.

And in "Splinter No More", the monster that comes out of the dimensional portal is very similar to Ozymandias alien:
DimensionalMonster.jpg

And that's that. Discuss.
I suppose they could've been fans and plus it was very commom for TV cartoon writers who worked on multiple shows that shared exact episode stories.

Amazon has all 10 seasons fit nicely into a Turtle Van holder for roughly $85.00

^ wow that Turtle van DVD set looks cool, if I were a die hard TMNT fan I'd scoop it up but unfortunately when turtlemania came in the 80's I was into girls.

I'm watching the old episodes in order, and though the series is not a masterpiece, it is very funny! It has some very funniest moments and it is not afraid to poke fun at itself. Now that I'm older, I can appreciate the efforts done in the writing, though the animation could have been better.

Just found out that Uncle Phil James Avery was Shredder. I had no idea. Wow, he was fantastic as shredder

Did the episode where Baxter Stockman gets transformed into the fly freak anyone else out as a kid?

Why isn't this board more active, man! I'm shocked!

Anyway, I grew up with this show and had a good deal of the toys. I also lived for the three live action films (yes I know, the third one is a turd but as a kid it rocked) and would torture my parents with my constant playing of the VHS's. Those were the days.

While the 2K3 series is my favorite I still adore this version. It's goofy, its campy but it's so much fun and the humor and wackiness is very much intentional. I especially love all the winks and nods to pop culture in the show-something I can appreciate as an adult.

The gets a bit stale and worn around season 5 but picks up again during season 7. I actually really enjoy the "Red Sky" years. I'm glad they focused on new villains. The Shredder/Kraang dynamic was well worn out by then. They needed to mix it up.

This is also a show that holds up visually. Ya, many jokes have been made about the animation goofs, but the actual animation itself is still pretty great. It's bright, its well lit and textured and the movement is more fluid than a lot other 80s cartoons.

I got mostly all the ninja turtles cartoons form 1980s o n dvd I love that show.

So...I'm trying to remember names of episodes, trying to leap back into the series...but the two episodes I'm thinking of are:
-one has the turtles trying to stop little creatures that hatch when they're microwaved on pizzas
-the second one has the turtles and Splinter looking for a rare plant to cure and illness(poison) April has.

I only remember these because I think these two were on video together when I was a kid...

So...I'm trying to remember names of episodes, trying to leap back into the series...but the two episodes I'm thinking of are:
-one has the turtles trying to stop little creatures that hatch when they're microwaved on pizzas
-the second one has the turtles and Splinter looking for a rare plant to cure and illness(poison) April has.

I only remember these because I think these two were on video together when I was a kid...

1. The Case of the Killer Pizzas
2. Enter: The Fly (I think)

1. The Case of the Killer Pizzas
2. Enter: The Fly (I think)

Thanks for the help, I'll look into it.

Has anybody purchased the complete set in the turtle van case? Is it a good buy?

Target has the whole season 3 DVD for $14.99 so I picked it up, this was originally released as 4 separate DVD's.

I'm getting into it more now than before since now I know what top notch of pedigree voice talent are in the show, everytime I hear Cam Clarke as Leonardo I'm hearing still Lancer from Robotech or Kaneda from Akira.

R.I.P to James Avery aka Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince and the original voice of the Shredder.

R.I.P to James Avery aka Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince and the original voice of the Shredder.

RIP James Avery…it was actually very bizarre for me hearing this news since I mentioned to my mother yesterday when discussing the new film, and mentioned if she knew he voiced Shredder. :csad:

I've got all of season 7 on DVD and, even though I consider the European Vacation episodes to be some of the worst, I still enjoy watching it. Bebop and Rocksteady are my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"