• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TENET

Tenet definitely would have faced hurdles even without the pandemic given some of the reactions I have read on here and other places, but it still frustrates the hell out of me that it wouldn't have performed nearly this badly IMO had Warner Bros just been patient and waited to release it next year. Even if they had to wait to release it later in the year it would have possibly done a lot better as long as all the right procedures were being followed.

Tenet definitely would have faced hurdles even without the pandemic given some of the reactions I have read on here and other places, but it still frustrates the hell out of me that it wouldn't have performed nearly this badly IMO had Warner Bros just been patient and waited to release it next year. Even if they had to wait to release it later in the year it would have possibly done a lot better as long as all the right procedures were being followed.

I agree. The only problem is we have no idea when we'll be out of this and we can get some sort of normal theater going again. It could be a lot longer.

I agree with Nolan about adapting but I think the immediate issue is more that the studios have a bunch of movies, made with a pre-Covid budget, sitting in the can. Sounds to me that Nolan wants the studios to sacrifice these movies with a big budget and risk huge losses so that the theaters get a boost. At the end of the day, the studios should do whatever is best for them and not give in just keep the theaters afloat

Flip side of the coin, though: you can't release the movies in theaters post-Covid if the theaters aren't there.

This doesn't mean they should release the movies now just to help the theaters, mind, especially since it almost certainly wouldn't work. They *should*, however, put serious thought into how they should help theaters survive the pandemic, out of sheer self-interest.

Flip side of the coin, though: you can't release the movies in theaters post-Covid if the theaters aren't there.

This doesn't mean they should release the movies now just to help the theaters, mind, especially since it almost certainly wouldn't work. They *should*, however, put serious thought into how they should help theaters survive the pandemic, out of sheer self-interest.

I think this is where a lot of the effort should be going now, but just IMO.

I don’t know how the studios can help the theaters unless they release big blockbuster movies that would attract people back but then risk losing losing a lot of money in the process. It’s always easier to tell other people/companies what to do when your own money isn’t on the line.

The theaters’ best chance is to ask for a government bailout and hope its given, IMO.

giphy.gif

Can't wait.

Watch with the subtitles on. I didn’t understand s*** with the bootleg I watched.

I've seen Scottish movies that were easier to understand than what was said in Tenet.

The movie itself had audio problems but it's not like bootlegs are famous for their glorious sound, regardless the film.
It was a good quality bootleg. And there was subtitles. But it was in Mandarin.

Yeah, I am not sure I have ever looked forward this much to subtitles for an English language film, haha.

Saw my family this weekend and I guess most of them had seen Tenet at various points but, like myself, no one had really enjoyed it much. It was kind of sad because we usually love talking about Nolan's movies after they've come out but this time we all just kinda looked at each other and shrugged.

I am still hopeful that it will grow on me a bit but I do think it has some fundamental storytelling issues where its approach is often at odds with what it is trying to achieve or invoke.

The last time I needed subtitles to understand what characters were saying in an English-language movie (other than Tenet, I mean) might have been Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse. But that was mostly because the characters had thick turn of the century accents, and the sound mixing didn't exactly help either (the dialog wasn't clear enough over the sound effects some of the time).

Before that, I actually would've appreciated subtitles on Dunkirk as well, mostly for the same reason as in Tenet - incoherent sound mixing, but Dunkirk had the added problem of everyone yelling in a British accent. Mind you, I don't normally find British accents hard to understand in most movies, but in Dunkirk, it was made worse because characters were yelling and speaking extra fast.

I also needed subtitles on Robert Eggers' The Witch for that matter, but that was for a different reason, as all of the dialog was in unfamiliar Old English.

I still can’t believe the protagonist is called
the protagonist

Nolan truly said **** it. I struggle to write characters. Imma stop. Just stop.

I actually suspect that time is going to be more kind to this movie than people may think. I think more people are going to dig it when they're able to watch it at home (and with subtitles), and it's the type of movie that rewards multiple viewings, and is more fun the more you have your head around it.

I don't think it will be at the top of anyone's Nolan list, and people will hate it (as has been the case for *checks*....all of Nolan's movies thus far) but I think there is something really cool, badass, and fun about this film. A Bond film with a healthy does of existential sci-fi, but not overbearing so you can't just enjoy it as a spy action thriller. Very clearly defined good and evil. Cool, likable characters you can root for even if you don't know a ton about their backstory. A take on time travel that is totally original and has not been done before.

Actually...thinking about the villain's motivations in this film, and how small and petty they are at the end of the day. Makes me think of a certain someone.

Last edited:
The villain was the most over the top Russian stereotype I've seen. It was straight outta the height of cold war paranoia.

Well, uh, based on current events of the past few years-- what's old is new again.

Well, uh, based on current events of the past few years-- what's old is new again.

So? Trump isn't a Russian caricature. He is the caricature of a psychopathic New York billionaire. How does that justify this character?

Last edited by a moderator:
So? Trump isn't a Russian caricature. He is the caricature of a psychopathic New York billionaire. How does that justify this character?

I'm not sure you're getting my point. I'm saying that the Cold War isn't just a relic of the 80s anymore. It's happening now. As evidenced by the fact that they tried to destroy our democracy from within in the most brazen and obvious way possible. So allusions to Cold War-era don't feel so trite to me anymore, especially in a big, larger than life action movie that is clear meant as an homage to classic Bond movies.

The Sator character is a throwback to mustache twirling Bond villains of old more than anything. And his "if I'm going down, I'm taking everyone with me" motivation just feels oddly resonant given current circumstances. Was just something that occurred to me as I was thinking back on him.

Pre-orders are live!

Pre-ordered the HMV Steelbook, along with the 4K limited First Edition (with 64-page book).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"