TENET

I am like an hour into this movie with the wife and making popcorn. Gotta say, this movie is hard to follow. Unlike say Inception, this movie to this point has not made me understand the rules of the inversion nearly as much as I understood the dream layers. I have a feeling I may not be as favorable to this movie as other Nolan films

I am like an hour into this movie with the wife and making popcorn. Gotta say, this movie is hard to follow. Unlike say Inception, this movie to this point has not made me understand the rules of the inversion nearly as much as I understood the dream layers. I have a feeling I may not be as favorable to this movie as other Nolan films
It’s definitely not a movie you can have on while doing other things, lol.

Just finished it. This movie is very visually cool and dynamic. But.....I can't say I liked the movie. This movie is a chore to sit through.

Last edited:

Making popcorn...no wonder you got lost.
I just watched the movie and had to rewind several times because I refiled my glass from a bottle at hand's reach, 5 sec out tops.
Inception is toddler stuff in comparison to this movie.
It's cool that Nolan managed to get the funding for such movie.

Edit: It's certainly not a movie I will want to re-watch.

I just watched the movie and had to rewind several times because I refiled my glass from a bottle at hand's reach, 5 sec out tops.

This movie def sounds better in theory than execution. If I compare this to Inception, that movie asks a lot of the audience but it does enough to convey how the world works so you are never lost. This movie does a much poorer job explaining the science fiction of the movie and similar to other time travel stories, it only kind of makes sense at the end. But along the way, I was far too lost and asking too many questions. It prevented me from getting engrossed in this movie. I commend it for reaching high, but ultimately it falls flat.

This movie def sounds better in theory than execution. If I compare this to Inception, that movie asks a lot of the audience but it does enough to convey how the world works so you are never lost. This movie does a much poorer job explaining the science fiction of the movie and similar to other time travel stories, it only kind of makes sense at the end. But along the way, I was far too lost and asking too many questions. It prevented me from getting engrossed in this movie. I commend it for reaching high, but ultimately it falls flat.

Yes, it asks too much, you're very right.
Bold part : I disagree, unless you are familiar with time travel story and how to wrap your mind around it.
Green part: I agree. The science fiction explanation was not as accessible as Inception in comparison.

Last edited:
Got the bluray for Christmas... oh sweet lord is the sound mix on this movie bad. The music is literally drowning out the dialogue, it's like the actors are whispering.

What on earth was going through Nolan's mind?

Well I was dəfinitely checking my phone while watching it so, I couldn't understand much. Though I thought Robərt Pattinson was underused in the film.
At the very least, this movie does seem to have INCREASED people’s anticipation for Pattinson Becoming The Batman.

Edit: It's certainly not a movie I will want to re-watch.

they say you’re not even supposed to blink when you’re watching this movie. Lest you lose vital information. It’s a shame this movie is in 24 FPS be cause that’s 36 frames of lost info per second.
It's not an ideal to watch a movie that's supposed to be in English.

it’s not an ideal movie.

they say you’re not even supposed to blink when you’re watching this movie. Lest you lose vital information. It’s a shame this movie is in 24 FPS be cause that’s 36 frames of lost info per second.

it’s not an ideal movie.

Well, when I watch a movie, I do want immersion. And normally want to do it without subtitles unless there are some choices words or dialogue pieces I might've missed, or certain things about locations or parts of an important narrative puzzle. So it's not that I abhor subtitled, but if it's an English language movie I would want to watch it without them to get truly immersed in it.

I've been watching chunks of the movie for the past week or so. Starting to get more and more familiarized with it.

I have to say, it sounds awesome on my Sonos Arc soundbar. Having that channel separation really helps for clarity. I could also totally see how this would be a nightmare on a regular 2.1 soundbar. It's just fortunate in my case that this happens to be the year I finally invested some good home theater gear.

Also, I think I've pinpointed the two scenes in particular that probably set people off with the mix. The planning sequence for the 747 crash, and the scene on the speed boat with Sator. In the case of the former, it is clearly not intended for you to catch every word when Neil is gathering intel there. They are intentionally drowning out the dialogue with the score there. There's one specific point where the dialogue starts to trail off and the music gets louder where it's clear this is an intentional choice and the dialogue isn't essential there. It's more just about the adrenaline rising for this big thing they are about to pull off.

The scene on the boat, yeah, that's probably the hardest for me to understand. You've got the loudness of the boat and the score really cranked there, plus Sator's accent. I swear though, I really do prefer the realism of that to what we got with the revised Bane prologue in TDKR. Having the dialogue overpowered puts me more in the moment. It feels more like I'm out on that boat, and I feel more connected to the Protagonist as a result. That sense of immersion > me catching every detail on first viewing. Yes, they went in an extreme direction and there was probably an in-between that could've worked there-- but it's still the lesser of two evils to me.

Aside from those two isolated moments, the hardest things to understand are all a result of people speaking in accents. Which...I mean, it is what it is. It's an international spy flick. I think people have forgotten the complaints that you could barely understand a word Saito says in Inception. And he has a much bigger role than say, Priya in Tenet (who I REALLY struggled understanding at times).

The score is so freaking cool. It's been in my head on loop.

One negative I have to say. I really like a lot of what JDW does in the film. But I think he has a little trouble with some of the Nolan-sposition. I recently watched Inception, and man-- while you could make jokes about Leo being over the top, he SELLS the sh** out of whatever he's saying like it's the most important thing in the world, at any point in that film. It works. There are just a few moments in Tenet where I feel like it could have maybe benefited from a more seasoned actor to help sell the gravity of certain moments better. That said, I still think he was a good pick for the role and it was certainly refreshing to have a non-white dude as the star of a Nolan flick for a change. Great physical performance though, and he does have a charm about him. I'm just not sure if I buy the heavier dramatic stuff from him as much.

Last edited:
I've been watching chunks of the movie for the past week or so. Starting to get more and more familiarized with it.

I have to say, it sounds awesome on my Sonos Arc soundbar. Having that channel separation really helps for clarity. I could also totally see how this would be a nightmare on a regular 2.1 soundbar. It's just fortunate in my case that this happens to be the year I finally invested some good home theater gear.

Also, I think I've pinpointed the two scenes in particular that probably set people off with the mix. The planning sequence for the 747 crash, and the scene on the speed boat with Sator. In the case of the former, it is clearly not intended for you to catch every word when Neil is gathering intel there. They are intentionally drowning out the dialogue with the score there. There's one specific point where the dialogue starts to trail off and the music gets louder where it's clear this is an intentional choice and the dialogue isn't essential there. It's more just about the adrenaline rising for this big thing they are about to pull off.

The scene on the boat, yeah, that's probably the hardest for me to understand. You've got the loudness of the boat and the score really cranked there, plus Sator's accent. I swear though, I really do prefer the realism of that to what we got with the revised Bane prologue in TDKR. Having the dialogue overpowered puts me more in the moment. It feels more like I'm out on that boat, and I feel more connected to the Protagonist as a result. That sense of immersion > me catching every detail on first viewing. Yes, they went in an extreme direction and there was probably an in-between that could've worked there-- but it's still the lesser of two evils to me.

Aside from those two isolated moments, the hardest things to understand are all a result of people speaking in accents. Which...I mean, it is what it is. It's an international spy flick. I think people have forgotten the complaints that you could barely understand a word Saito says in Inception. And he has a much bigger role than say, Priya in Tenet (who I REALLY struggled understanding at times).

The score is so freaking cool. It's been in my head on loop.

One negative I have to say. I really like a lot of what JDW does in the film. But I think he has a little trouble with some of the Nolan-sposition. I recently watched Inception, and man-- while you could make jokes about Leo being over the top, he SELLS the sh** out of whatever he's saying like it's the most important thing in the world, at any point in that film. It works. There are just a few moments in Tenet where I feel like it could have maybe benefited from a more seasoned actor to help sell the gravity of certain moments better. That said, I still think he was a good pick for the role and it was certainly refreshing to have a non-white dude as the star of a Nolan flick for a change. Great physical performance though, and he does have a charm about him. I'm just not sure if I buy the heavier dramatic stuff from him as much.

Considering the bulk of pretty much everyone's dialogue in Inception involves efficiently rattling off swaths of exposition, I think the whole cast does a great job selling what they’re saying in ways that have animation and conviction. And some like Tom Hardy’s Eames even give it a little flair while they’re at it.

Shows the difference an A+ lineup can make in material like this. Gives it that little extra oomph.

Furthermore, some of the dialogue Nolan writes would be hard to catch even if the sound mixing was decent. “This siege is a blind for them to vanish you”. How is this acceptable dialogue for a guy in a gas mask? I honestly would never catch this without subs. Even with clear sound mixing.

There was also the “polyester” rant by the Japanese guy in Inception. Imagine giving a Japanese guy with a thick accent a rant about polyester? Nolan lacks sense sometimes.

I still think Nolan gets a lot more focus on this issue, since he's a huge director and it's just become a thing he's known for. But in reality...there's plenty movies/shows where dialogue can be hard to make out at times. Especially if there are accents or different dialects involved.

I just watched The Wire this year and....my god. The show was one of the best things I've ever seen. But a lot of the times it's mumblecore with extremely intricate plotting that you really have to pay close attention to keep up with. Yet this also adds to the feeling of intense realism the show is after. I was rewinding constantly because I missed lines though.

It was also clear after watching The Wire how much the Nolans loved that show and let it influence TDK (very late to this realization I know).

I will he honest, the sound mixing wasn't any worse to me than say TDKR or something, so that wasn't a complaint of mine. The script and poor immersion into the sci-fi was.

I mentioned the dialogue before but when you keep repeating it it sounds so clunky

The Protagonist : This reversing the flow of time... doesn't us being here now, mean it never happened? Could we stop them?

Neil : Optimistically, I'd say that's right.

The Protagonist : Pessimistically?

Neil : In a parallel worlds theory, we can't know the relationship between consciousness and multiple realities. Does your head hurt yet ? Try to get some sleep.

Spoilers Questions:

Ok so those elevators are time machines but when you go through you become inverted and need oxygen.

So how come when they keep traveling back in the past ....they don't need oxygen masks anymore or be inverted ??? Like Kat in the Yacht in Vietnam

It's like a revolving door

Blue side- you're going backwards in time

Red side- You're going forward in time

When Neil and the Protagonist try to save Kat they go backwards in the airport(Blue side)

When they enter the turnstile in the freeport they come back in the red side(Forward time but a week in the past)

Nolan also needs a new sound editing & mixing person. :o

Honestly everything since TDK has been atrociously mixed to me. The last movie that sounded properly mixed was Batman Begins.

I was astonished 6'3 Debicki actually got the lead role. She's 99% taller than every leading man in Hollywood and damn folks thought Sigourney Weaver was an Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"