TENET

Ok how about Sator’s dead man switch??

I thought once he dies, the algorithm is set off.

That is why they are going to give her the signal once they have it.

But why when Kat killed him before the Tenet disarmed the Algorithm ...it didn’t go off???

Hmmm plot hole anyone???

Saw it tonight and wasn't impressed, Nolan's movies have never been the warmest or had much in the way of any levity, but this was so clinical and cold, bar Pattison's foppy agent everyone was deadly serious or miserable, it was just very sterile.

I'll be honest I thought the concept was daft, I'm sure some will say I just didn't get it which is fine, I thought it was mumbo jumbo stuff that you just had to accept but it made things feel so random and hard to really get into as it was so confusing imo.

The fight scene shown from 2 perspectives, the car chase/heist and the big finale were the main action sequences and leaned into the reverse gimmick, which was visually cool but because I wasn't feeling the gimmick I just didn't get wowed by them, even though technically they were shot and edited impeccably.

John David Washington showed leading man presence in a role that was very stoney faced, and Brannagh was a particularly nasty villain, the rest of the cast were fine, Elizabeth Debicki's role was very similar to the one she had in The Night Manager.

I've been a fan of Nolan since Memento, I didn’t just jump on the train when he brought respect back to Batman, but if I'm honest I really haven't enjoyed any of his films since Inception, which I think is a masterpiece, but I'm still interested to see what he does next.

5/10

Ok how about Sator’s dead man switch??

I thought once he dies, the algorithm is set off.

That is why they are going to give her the signal once they have it.

But why when Kat killed him before the Tenet disarmed the Algorithm ...it didn’t go off???

Hmmm plot hole anyone???
I'd have to watch again (and I will, many more times!), but I'm pretty sure they said the dead man's switch would send off an e-mail or signal of some kind telling his co-conspirators where all the pieces of the algorithm were for them to use it, so they just didn't want her to kill him until they knew they were successful at "disappearing" it. She jumped the gun, but they got to it anyway, so no harm done.

Yeah, if the algorithm had somehow been tied to the stopping of Sator’s heartbeat humanity would have been FRACKED!

Saw it tonight and wasn't impressed, Nolan's movies have never been the warmest or had much in the way of any levity, but this was so clinical and cold, bar Pattison's foppy agent everyone was deadly serious or miserable, it was just very sterile.

I'll be honest I thought the concept was daft, I'm sure some will say I just didn't get it which is fine, I thought it was mumbo jumbo stuff that you just had to accept but it made things feel so random and hard to really get into as it was so confusing imo.

The fight scene shown from 2 perspectives, the car chase/heist and the big finale were the main action sequences and leaned into the reverse gimmick, which was visually cool but because I wasn't feeling the gimmick I just didn't get wowed by them, even though technically they were shot and edited impeccably.

John David Washington showed leading man presence in a role that was very stoney faced, and Brannagh was a particularly nasty villain, the rest of the cast were fine, Elizabeth Debicki's role was very similar to the one she had in The Night Manager.

I've been a fan of Nolan since Memento, I didn’t just jump on the train when he brought respect back to Batman, but if I'm honest I really haven't enjoyed any of his films since Inception, which I think is a masterpiece, but I'm still interested to see what he does next.

5/10

I miss the 2000s Nolan. I love every film of his from that era. Memento, The Prestige, Insomnia, the Batman movies even Following. It took me some time to warm up to Inception but I did. But post TDKR Nolan...I’ve been struggling with that stuff.

I miss the 2000s Nolan. I love every film of his from that era. Memento, The Prestige, Insomnia, the Batman movies even Following. It took me some time to warm up to Inception but I did. But post TDKR Nolan...I’ve been struggling with that stuff.

I forgot TDKR was after Inception, but yeah, Interstellar, Dunkirk and Tenet just didn't hit for me. I feel since Inception Nolan has fallen into the Shyamalan trap of thinking he needs to make everything complex and have a gimmick, when his best ever movie was a more straightforward but smart action crime thriller.

As a huge Tenet fan, I can't be any happier with my collection!

obl6y52kjc661.jpg

I forgot TDKR was after Inception, but yeah, Interstellar, Dunkirk and Tenet just didn't hit for me. I feel since Inception Nolan has fallen into the Shyamalan trap of thinking he needs to make everything complex and have a gimmick, when his best ever movie was a more straightforward but smart action crime thriller.

It is a mixed bag for me. I don't like TDKR or Tenet much, but Interstellar and Dunkirk are definitely top 5 Nolan for me (1. TDK, 2. Dunkirk, 3. Memento, 4. The Prestige, 5. Interstellar).

But even though I like Interstellar a lot, it does have some significant flaws that kind of go hand in hand with problems I have with TDKR and Tenet when it comes to convoluted plot eventually trumping character development, awkward editing and exposition in over-reaching back halves, etc. I thought Nolan had learned some lessons when I saw Dunkirk, with its minimal exposition and simpler story made alive through the daring and virtuosic technical approach, but then it is like he tried to apply only half of those lessons in Tenet. He heaped back in more exposition (but only for plot, little for character--which I would have preferred if I had to pick) and plot contortions than ever, which made for a bit of an unholy storytelling mess, imo.

I agree with you, I do think a lot of it has to do with this pressure Nolan seems to put on himself (ever since Inception) to make these elaborate genre blockbusters that are juggling a lot of different objectives. At this point I would love to see Nolan do a somewhat simpler story again that has a little more room to breathe on character and basic storytelling, while still applying his ambition and the technical excellence of his collaborators to how he tells that story.

That doesn't necessarily mean a smaller budget, but a smaller budget could help kind of set those parameters for him and reign him in a little. In movies like Memento and The Prestige there's a laser-like focus on communicating an interesting but resonant story--and that kind of focus simply isn't present in his later films, even the ones I love.

Last edited:
I can see the screenplay, behind the scenes book and poster, but is that 3 copies of the movie?

Yep, it's 3 copies - normal 4K, First Edition (limited to 3000 copies and includes a booklet) and Steelbook.

It is a mixed bag for me. I don't like TDKR or Tenet much, but Interstellar and Dunkirk are definitely top 5 Nolan for me (1. TDK, 2. Dunkirk, 3. Memento, 4. The Prestige, 5. Interstellar).

But even though I like Interstellar a lot, it does have some significant flaws that kind of go hand in hand with problems I have with TDKR and Tenet when it comes to convoluted plot eventually trumping character development, awkward editing and exposition in over-reaching back halves, etc. I thought Nolan had learned some lessons when I saw Dunkirk, with its minimal exposition and simpler story made alive through the daring and virtuosic technical approach, but then it is like he tried to apply only half of those lessons in Tenet. He heaped back in more exposition (but only for plot, little for character--which I would have preferred if I had to pick) and plot contortions than ever, which made for a bit of an unholy storytelling mess, imo.

I agree with you, I do think a lot of it has to do with this pressure Nolan seems to put on himself (ever since Inception) to make these elaborate genre blockbusters that are juggling a lot of different objectives. At this point I would love to see Nolan do a somewhat simpler story again that has a little more room to breathe on character and basic storytelling, while still applying his ambition and the technical excellence of his collaborators to how he tells that story.

That doesn't necessarily mean a smaller budget, but a smaller budget could help kind of set those parameters for him and reign him in a little. In movies like Memento and The Prestige there's a laser-like focus on communicating an interesting but resonant story--and that kind of focus simply isn't present in his later films, even the ones I love.

I wouldn't even nessicarily say go with a lower budget as I think Nolan is really a fan of creating spectacle and loves crafting action sequences, you can see his growth in this department from BB to Tenet. I just think he needs to realize he doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, you can tell an intelligent story that has twists without having to try and bend reality and time.

He can also warm up his characters a bit, focus a bit more on them than the boat loads of exposition, I felt he balanced those aspects better in Inception, as it was heavy on exposition due to the complexity of the concept but I felt the central characters were more human and less sterile pieces on the board used to just move the story like they are in Tenet.

Yep, it's 3 copies - normal 4K, First Edition (limited to 3000 copies and includes a booklet) and Steelbook.

Congrats man, it's always cool to get collectibles on a movie you love. :up:

Saw it again the 3rd time.

Neil said Sator’s dead man switch will send an email to whoever

Then the Protagonist said it will set off the Algorithm if Sator dies.

Kat killed him anyways before they can disarm and by LUCK everyone is saved.

I dunno it’s a good movie better than Dunkirk and Interstellar BUT it’s not a masterpiece like Nolan’s Trinity ( Memento, The Prestige, and Inception)

If another director writer made this exact movie EVERYONE would say this is pure garbage.

But since it’s Nolan, everyone will analyze the hell out of it to make it out as the most genius movie ever.

Predestination and Looper are actually more of a mind bending time blast movies than this.

If another director writer made this exact movie EVERYONE would say this is pure garbage.

All time travel plots have paradoxes. From Back to the Future to Terminator and onward. You can pick any of them apart till your brain turns to mush if you want. Time travel is ultimately just a narrative device used to tell a story. In Tenet, I think it distinguishes itself from other films like it because it seems to be a pretty fatalistic film and I think one of the major themes is that things play out a certain way for a reason and you kind of have to surrender to the will of the universe-- but that's also not an excuse to do nothing. Very similar to Interstellar in that sense.

And actually, your statement about how people would say its pure garbage itself could be kinda inverting cause and effect a bit :oldrazz:...because another director would not/could not have made this exact movie. In terms of the terms of in-camera practical effects, the soundtrack, cinematography, just concept overall. If you just showed me the prologue with 0 other knowledge about the film, I'd instantly be able to tell that this was a Nolan film and not an imitator. It's about the overall experience a film is able to deliver, not about how many "plot holes" you can poke at. This movie definitely could've been pure garbage in lesser hands. If anything though, people are also harsher on the movie because of the expectations the Nolan name brings. I mean it didn't exactly get rave reviews.

I'm still sorting out how I feel about it myself. It's somewhere in the middle of his filmography for me. at the moment I think it's a very handsomely and confidently made film, and I kind of like the way it keeps its core concept at arm's length for much of the runtime before going full-tilt with it in the latter half of the film. It does throw a LOT at you and I do think the movie risks alienating the audience by removing normal cause and effect from its biggest action setpieces. I think inversion was a fascinating concept a strikingly original take on time travel, but not something that's going to resonate with everyone either and that's OK.

Last edited:

But since it’s Nolan, everyone will analyze the hell out of it to make it out as the most genius movie ever.

Predestination and Looper are actually more of a mind bending time blast movies than this.

If you feel that way, why did you watch it 3 times in a relatively short period of time? :hmm

If you feel that way, why did you watch it 3 times in a relatively short period of time? :hmm

LOL

To understand it more.

I said , I did like it BUT not on same level of Nolan’s Trinity (Memento, The Prestige, and Inception)

If wasn’t for Nolan I wouldn’t even given it a second viewing at all.

I dunno it’s a good movie better than Dunkirk and Interstellar BUT it’s not a masterpiece like Nolan’s Trinity ( Memento, The Prestige, and Inception)

I’m confused. EVERYONE would call good movies “pure garbage” if they’re not by famous directors? That’s...not been my experience, lol.

There may be people who are more lenient with TENET because of Nolan but the opposite is equally common, if not more. There is a large number of people in the last decade that are waiting in the corner to trash Nolan's films every time one is released, if they feel it doesn't live up to the hype that was created and the expectations they formed themselves.

There may be people who are more lenient with TENET because of Nolan but the opposite is equally common, if not more. There is a large number of people in the last decade that are waiting in the corner to trash Nolan's films every time one is released, if they feel it doesn't live up to the hype that was created and the expectations they formed themselves.
If there really are people out there who are so disappointed in a directors work that they feel compelled to trash his latest film because it did not meet the overinflated expectations that they set for it, perhaps they should just shut up and go make the superior version of that film THEMSELVES!

Last edited:
How much global promotion did this film have? SUch a shame it may have been overlooked, a relatively unknown black star in a huge blockbuster!

5/10

I watched it a few days ago. Still trying to comprehend some parts. You nailed it with the part about being so confusing that you're not invested in the outcome. I didn't understand the final act though.

I did get "Back to the future part 2" vibes from going back into the airplane and car sequences

I did understand blue team going backwards to help out the red team like precognition/ESP

So can someone explain why Kat didn't need to wear a mask if she went back to the yacht?

I thought going back meant you needed a mask due to inverted lungs or air?

I can't even show this movie to friends or family because it would just confuse them to heck that they might just tune out or leave and not enjoy the Nolan experience.

What I found funny was that I accidentally pressed the rewind button a few times during the movie

I watched it a few days ago. Still trying to comprehend some parts. You nailed it with the part about being so confusing that you're not invested in the outcome. I didn't understand the final act though.

I did get "Back to the future part 2" vibes from going back into the airplane and car sequences

I did understand blue team going backwards to help out the red team like precognition/ESP

So can someone explain why Kat didn't need to wear a mask if she went back to the yacht?

I can't even show this movie to friends or family because it would just confuse them to heck that they might just tune out or leave and not enjoy the Nolan experience.

What I found funny was that I accidentally pressed the rewind button a few times during the movie

Kat is not inverted in the yacht scene. She just travelled back to a moment shortly before the events on the yacht (because future Sator travelled back there as well to kill himself), then got re-inverted (off-screen). The events on the yacht flow forward, not backward.

Last edited:

Watching Tenet on rewind must have been surreal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"