Infinity War Thanos' voice - thoughts?

random_havoc

The Golden Guardian
Reaction score
Am I the only one who was really disappointed in Thanos' voice? I pictured something more like Vin Diesel's voice, something super deep or something like that, so that it would be intimidating.

Instead I got just Josh Brolin's regular voice, which doesn't match Thanos' look at all to me. I feel like they should've at least digitally altered it.

Thoughts?

I'm not a fan at all of the voice. I don't even like the Josh Brolin casting (or his casting as Cable). I've watched the trailer several times and have come to really enjoy it...but my initial issue was that I couldn't warm up to Thanos (the character's ever changing appearance doesn't help)

I thought it worked pretty well honestly, but i never pictured THanos as having an extremely deep voice. Brolin sounds intimidating imo

I think Thanos' voice is deep enough without going overboard on modulation. Just my opinion, though!

It sounds kind of dude bro-ish honestly.

Yeah. I mean...James Earl Jones and the dude from Candyman can't do the voice of every villain...but his voice doesn't make me fear him. Ultron at least sounded creepy (though what he was saying kind of ruined it).

The appearance changing doesn't matter when his screen time has been less than five minutes.

The voice is fine too. Modulation would have been cliche and generic.

Am I the only one who was really disappointed in Thanos' voice? I pictured something more like Vin Diesel's voice, something super deep or something like that, so that it would be intimidating.

Instead I got just Josh Brolin's regular voice, which doesn't match Thanos' look at all to me. I feel like they should've at least digitally altered it.

Thoughts?
My Facebook status from Aug 12, 2013 at 8:10pm:
Vin Diesel as Thanos

This. Must. Happen.
When I heard he'd be in GotG, I thought "yes!". Oh well :D

I like Brolin a lot as an actor, but he's not who I'd pick. The way he sounds vaguely of reminds me of the monster from Flesh Gordon.

I honestly love it. It's the perfect amount of menacing IMO, because it's not overly enhanced like Vader. Brolin is really able to sell the threat level just by talking in his natural voice.

I love the voice. It seems the Russo's are trying to humanize Thanos (for a lack of a better word) and treating him like a galactic Kingpin, as apposed to a Saturday morning cartoon. This seems to me why they striped him of his helmet and armor. They want him to feel like a real villain, instead of a cartoon. It seems to match up with the Russo's approach to these movies.

I think they need to deepen it. Nothing to the extent of Batman's modulator but just in any capacity, decause it doesn't sound like they've done anything to it at all, and if that's still the case in the second trailer I may start worrying.

Man, a lot of hate for Brolin and his voice in this thread..

I do like the modulated deep voice in GOTG but this is just fine, as is his performance and especially the CGI.

Why do they need to do anything with it? Why do we need Thanos to have a Darth Vader type voice?

I love the voice. It seems the Russo's are trying to humanize Thanos (for a lack of a better word) and treating him like a galactic Kingpin, as apposed to a Saturday morning cartoon. This seems to me why they striped him of his helmet and armor. They want him to feel like a real villain, instead of a cartoon. It seems to match up with the Russo's approach to these movies.

Yeah if you want cartoony looking villains with funny looking helmets, I give you:

justice-league-steppenwolf-social.jpg

Why do they need to do anything with it? Why do we need Thanos to have a Darth Vader type voice?

I explained my stance already...I find his voice to be not at all threatening or scary...you know...for a universe destroying titan.

It's cool if people disagree...but lets not turn this into a "Marvel is perfect, no reasonable person can disagree and no aspect can possibly be criticized" type of conversation.

It's a fantastic trailer...I just find Thanos to be "less" than he was in Guardians off the Galaxy...which is odd. Then again, I hated the post credit scene at the end of Age of Ultron as well...so Thanos is a bit damaged in my eyes at the moment.

I explained my stance already...I find his voice to be not at all threatening or scary...you know...for a universe destroying titan.

It's cool if people disagree...but lets not turn this into a "Marvel is perfect, no reasonable person can disagree and no aspect can possibly be criticized" type of conversation.

It's a fantastic trailer...I just find Thanos to be "less" than he was in Guardians off the Galaxy...which is odd. Then again, I hated the post credit scene at the end of Age of Ultron as well...so Thanos is a bit damaged in my eyes at the moment.

I don't recall saying you couldn't criticize Marvel. Like... at all. So anyway...

For me, this trailer made Thanos more intimidating than all of his appearances in the MCU combined. Because we finally see him doing things and being a threat. We see him casually chokeslamming Spider-Man and punching Iron Man out like its nothing. He is carrying himself like a confident being who no one can stop, and he's doing things to back that up. That is a direct contrast to his appearance in Guardians where he did nothing but make idle threats to Ronan (I love Guardians but Thanos is one of the weaker aspects of that movie for me).

That matters more to me, I guess, than how his voice sounds. For me, what makes Thanos threatening isn't how his voice sounds, its what he wants to do and how he is going about doing it. That is what makes him a powerful character to me, not his armor and helmet or the cliche idea of what a scary villain is "supposed" to sound like.

I find his voice to be very effective. It doesn't have to be modulated to sound intimidating. However, we've had since the first Guardians of the Galaxy to get used to it.

I grew up with Gary Krawford as Thanos from the Silver Surfer cartoon, but that doesn't mean I expected him to sound like him in the movie.

I'm hoping that his voice sounds a bit closer to what it sounded like in GOTG as the one in the trailer doesn't seem to be as deep.

Man, this thread attracted people who really dislike Brolin, didn't it? I don't think I've seen some of you even post in the main thread. :funny:

Anyway, he's fine. I think his voice is deep and booming enough without any kind of modulation.

Of course what he wants to do and the actions he takes will matter the most. I'd probably be singing a different tune if they had shown him throwing that moon. But...lets face it...this is not the first MCU trailer that has shown a villain looking like a threat. Ultron was down right terrifying in those trailers. Punching Iron Man down is something many people have done already (though he did drop like a bag of rocks this time)...so I did want a bit more from Thanos to get me excited. I've never thought he had a great look...and he sounds like a *****e...so I'm not feeling it yet.

Thanos sounding like a d-bag...is a criticism now?

giphy.gif

Man, this thread attracted people who really dislike Brolin, didn't it? I don't think I've seen some of you even post in the main thread. :funny:

Anyway, he's fine. I think his voice is deep and booming enough without any kind of modulation.

I love Brolin, his voice just doesn't fit Thanos imo without at least some deepening. It's like, sure, I love Samuel L Jackson, but if they'd had him do the voice of the Hulk I would've been pissed off.
When you have a character as large and powerful as Thanos and is supposed to be intimidating, Brolin's voice just seems way off.

My Facebook status from Aug 12, 2013 at 8:10pm:
When I heard he'd be in GotG, I thought "yes!". Oh well :D

I like Brolin a lot as an actor, but he's not who I'd pick. The way he sounds vaguely of reminds me of the monster from Flesh Gordon.

Yes! Vin Diesel's voice would have been great!

I love Brolin, his voice just doesn't fit Thanos imo without at least some deepening. It's like, sure, I love Samuel L Jackson, but if they'd had him do the voice of the Hulk I would've been pissed off.
When you have a character as large and powerful as Thanos and is supposed to be intimidating, Brolin's voice just seems way off.

Nah man, I understand that. If you don't like it, it's fine. It's just that some of the criticisms I've read in this thread are just mindboggling.

I think his voice sounds fine, and I'm gald they chose Brolin, but wouldn't have minded it being slightly deeper. I've always found a deeper voice more menacing, and would fit (in my mind) well with his size.

As always, opinions can differ, so haterz of those who don't instantly love everything need to be strong ;) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"