Infinity War Thanos' voice - thoughts?

A slightly up-pitched Michael Clarke Duncan could've been good, but having no personal history with the character outside the MCU, I think this Thanos sounds perfectly fine. He's one of the few film villains from whom I think monologuing would actually add to his menace, and I wouldn't mind listening to Brolin doing that here.

A slightly up-pitched Michael Clarke Duncan could've been good, but having no personal history with the character outside the MCU, I think this Thanos sounds perfectly fine. He's one of the few film villains from whom I think monologuing would actually add to his menace, and I wouldn't mind listening to Brolin doing that here.

Perfect

I think it's perfect. On the surface level Thanos is just another Evil CGI Space Creature. Cartoonishly deep voice would have fitted that mold really well. However, I have always thought that the contemplating nature of the character is Thanos's best quality. And Brolin's natural voice fits that better.

Exactly. I don't think any of us read Thanos in a menacing voice.

Remember his appearance in the Silver Surfer?

I don't have an issue with his voice.
Even in the Guardians of the Galaxy, I never minded his voice.

He doesn't need this loud, gargantuan voice and I do think that's
what some people were expecting out of him. A natural voice works better.

Thanos is one of my favorite comic characters, so his accurate portrayal is pretty vital to me. That being said, I've always read him with less of a "generic deep bad guy voice" and more of a shakespearean, unique tone to it. A lot of weight and gravitas to his lines, because to me classic Starlin Thanos has always been a true theatre actor disguised as a villain (that's the best way I can describe it right now lol).
So Brolin's voice does not bother me... I'm still not sold on all of his lines yet, but overall I think that aspect will end up bothering me more than the voice itself.

Thanos is one of my favorite comic characters, so his accurate portrayal is pretty vital to me. That being said, I've always read him with less of a "generic deep bad guy voice" and more of a shakespearean, unique tone to it. A lot of weight and gravitas to his lines, because to me classic Starlin Thanos has always been a true theatre actor disguised as a villain (that's the best way I can describe it right now lol).
So Brolin's voice does not bother me... I'm still not sold on all of his lines yet, but overall I think that aspect will end up bothering me more than the voice itself.

Spot on. Glad I am not the only one !

Thanos looks so much like Brolin here that any other voice coming out of him would sound strange. I'm surprised that so many people think that it's not deep enough. Personally I think it's perfect.
Granted, it's nothing how I imagine his voice when I read him, but this sounds more natural.

Tbh, I rewatched Suicide Squad (EC of course :woot:) yesterday and when Killer Croc uttered his first sentence it immediately brought this thread to my mind like "hm, even this reptilian guy sounds more intimidating than Thanos". :woot: But again, I think this voice will suit the character well, if he's not only an evil tyrant but this twisted scientist and philosopher (I hope). We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"