The 100 Greatest Quotes from Fundamentalist Christian Chat Rooms

And I don't think Jesus would judge people cus think about it he was screwing around with a hooker who is he to judge.

BEEP WRONG please pick up a book MM was not deemed a ****e until the 5th century,
Until then she was considered Jesus companion and at that time companion was short for wife.

BEEP WRONG please pick up a book MM was not deemed a ****e until the 5th century,
Until then she was considered Jesus companion and at that time companion was short for wife.

ooooooh, controversial.

It's interesting that those people all have anglo-saxon derived names...

were there many german/english families living in israel at that point in history :huh:

The whole Bible is translated from foreign languages (Aramaic and Greek). And, names get translated along with it. It's a common occurrence throughout history outside of the Bible, as well. Take Charles the Great from history. He's also known more famously as Charlemagne or even Carolus Magnus, depending on what you're reading.

Biblical names are no different:

1. Peter is a version of "Petros," the Greek word for "rock." He's also known as Cephas (Aramaic for "rock") in the Bible.

2. Matthew is an Anglicized version of the Hebrew "Mattityahu" which translates into Greek as "Matthaios."

3. Mark is an Anglicized version of the Latin "Marcus."

4. Luke is from the Greek name "Loukas."

5. John is from the Hebrew "Yochanan" which translates into "Ioannes" in Greek and "Iohannes" in Latin.

6. Paul is from the Roman name "Paulus."

And, let's not forget Jesus, who in all likelihood (being a Jew who lived in Jewish lands) was called "Yeshua" by his disciples--"Yeshua" and its variation "Yehoshua" being Hebrew names that more commonly translated into English as "Joshua." "Jesus" more closely approximates the Greek translation of Yeshua, "Iesous."

Heck, my last name had an "e" on the end of it when my ancestor arrived here from Scotland. It's not there, anymore. :cwink:

Um yes, the writers of the gospels lived and talked with Jesus and they wrote down what Jesus said and did. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, James..... and more of them lived with Jesus and wrote books in the Bible.

That's not true, all of them had Divine revelations/hearsay, there is no way all of them would have been 250-300 years old to have written anything in the bible. They didn't start writing it until 300-400 years A.C. They were hunted by the Romans at the time and killed, also paper was very rare and didn't last long. It was impossible to write and save anything back then, unless in stone. The Romans burned and destroyed anything Christan. All of them even Paul said it was Divine revelations that helped them write in the bible. I am not 100% on the time-line but i prefer to take a scientific/historical view rather than hearsay or Divine revelations.

That's not true, all of them had Divine revelations/hearsay, there is no way all of them would have been 250-300 years old to have written anything in the bible. They didn't start writing it until 300-400 years A.C. They were hunted by the Romans at the time and killed, also paper was very rare and didn't last long. It was impossible to write and save anything back then, unless in stone. The Romans burned and destroyed anything Christan. All of them even Paul said it was Divine revelations that helped them write in the bible. I am not 100% on the time-line but i prefer to take a scientific/historical view rather than hearsay or Divine revelations.
Did you not read my earlier post?

It is believed and generally accepted by most scholars that the first gospel that was written -- Mark -- was written by a disciple of Peter. It wouldn't have been first hand, but second is very close. It is thought that this gospel was written only a decade or so after Jesus's death. The target audience were Jews and so it written towards them.

Matthew was written shortly after, targeting Samaria and so was writen a little differently. It is believed that Matthew was an actual disciple.

Luke was written about 60AD or so by Luke, a close friend and disciple of Paul. Paul did not know Jesus, but he did confer many times with Peter in Jerusalem hashing out doctrine. Luke targets the Gentiles and so was written differently towards them.

The last Gospel written was John, supposedly by John, a very young and close disciple of Jesus. It was written around 90 or so, supposedly after the Temple destruction in 70AD. It was written in a sort of protest against organized church rituals which is why the breaking of bread in the Last Supper never takes place. That later was converted into the ritual of Communion which made some early Christians nervous I guess. It also shows a higher Christology, folks by then more fully believed Jesus was fully divine and had been so from birth.

All the different books had different targets and were written at different times in the devoloping churches. Not all these guys consulted with each other so what should be more remarkable is not how the books differ, but how they are similar. At any rate, Jesus died around 33AD or so, the last book was written around 90 or so, that's still pretty close, especially when you consider this was a culture that prided itself on memoriazation and its oral tradition.

The four cannonical gospels of the NT and the Acts of the Apostles were all written by 100AD or so. It wasn't until 300 or so that the New Testament book was complied, there is a difference. All the books had been written long before that as testified by church historian Eusebius. The compliation was made to fight heresy as many later non-cannonical books had begun circulating, no doubt by the Gnostics. You might want to pick up a copy of Eusebius, the Church History by Paul Maier and read this for yourself. See also Triumph ( a history of the Catholic Church) by H. W. Crocker III. You might also find The Historical Reliability of the Gospels by Craig Blomberg quite helpful in clearing up your confusion. :)

Dear aggravating n00b please know, with an attitude like that (one that takes a post that is clearly a joke seriously) you will get nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"