The 2-Guys-and-1-Girl Formula

This is because the key movie demographic is guys ages 15 - 25. I don't know why that is, just that that's it here in the states. I've never watched girl flicks lol, so I'm unsure - but just by the trailers it seems those movies are the exact same just the mirror reflection - the cliche dream boyfriend girls want rather than the cliche dream girlfriend guys want.

Last edited:
Something I've been piecing together.

Name almost ANY major franchise, and your three central protagonists will be 2 guys and 1 girl. More often than not, one guy will hook up with the girl, while the second guy is not viewed as a sexual prospect by the girl. Maybe the second guy is there for comic relief and he can't be looked at sexually. Or maybe he's the main guy's best friend or brother.

Simply put, it's all about mathematics. Three is the number that provides writers the most flexibility with character interactions while still keeping the characters' personalities and roles within the group from overlapping with one another. It balances between giving each character time and room to develop and improving the odds that the viewer will find a character s/he likes. It's also interesting to note that three is the smallest number needed to create a family unit or group ~ thereby making the main characters appear more complete.

As for the 2 guys, 1 girl pattern... most writers are male and are more comfortable writing male characters. However, having both genders represented is important to widen appeal (and allow the creators the ability to provide fan service for both sexes). Lastly, the general audience see 'male' as the default and 'female' as a variation thereof. This all leads to the situation where if there are only to be three main characters, it would be more natural for the writers for it to be in the '2 guys, 1 girl' configuration.

P.S.: Sorry for sucking all the artistry out of literature. :p

Tell me more! I'm interested in Egyptian mythology.

It was kind of like the Egyptian version of Cain and Abel only more exciting and featuring a woman in one of the leading roles. Osiris and Seth were brothers but Seth was consumed by jealousy and killed Osiris and stole his throne. Isis, who was the wife/sister of Osiris, went on a quest to resurrect Osiris and was successful. They then conceived a son, Horus, who went on to overthrow Seth and regain the throne of Egypt although Isis convinced Horus to spare him. Osiris continued to rule as the Lord of the Dead.

Simply put, it's all about mathematics. Three is the number that provides writers the most flexibility with character interactions while still keeping the characters' personalities and roles within the group from overlapping with one another. It balances between giving each character time and room to develop and improving the odds that the viewer will find a character s/he likes. It's also interesting to note that three is the smallest number needed to create a family unit or group ~ thereby making the main characters appear more complete.

As for the 2 guys, 1 girl pattern... most writers are male and are more comfortable writing male characters. However, having both genders represented is important to widen appeal (and allow the creators the ability to provide fan service for both sexes). Lastly, the general audience see 'male' as the default and 'female' as a variation thereof. This all leads to the situation where if there are only to be three main characters, it would be more natural for the writers for it to be in the '2 guys, 1 girl' configuration.

P.S.: Sorry for sucking all the artistry out of literature. :p

Another big reason trios are popular is that each character represents one of the three aspects of the human psyche (Ego, Superego & Id). Three males are quite popular too in large part because there are places where a female doesn't really belong (ex. war movies). 1 Male & 2 Females and 3 Females both occur, but less frequently. If the franchise is big enough and has enough characters there can be secondary trios too. Lord of the Rings has both Frodo/Sam/Gollum and Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli, for example.

I couldn't begin to guess as to the first film to use the 2 Male, 1 Female format as unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the silent era. It is definitely there in The Lost World from 1925.

Last edited:
Uncharted - Drake, Elena, Sully

I guess 2 guys, 1 girl formula is better than 2 girls, 1 cup :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back