The 2008 Democratic National Convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marx

Pixelated
Reaction score
"Breaking the mold of traditional political Conventions, Senator Barack Obama will accept the Democratic nomination for President of the United States at Denver’s INVESCO Field at Mile High. INVESCO Field can accommodate more than 75,000 people and will be the site of the 2008 Democratic Convention’s final day of programming on Thursday, August 28, 2008."

The Democratic National Convention is being held from August 25-28, 2008.

From who will be giving the keynote address to the break from the traditional choice for convention location and everything in between.

Discuss all things CONVENTION!

The official site
www.demconvention.com

Accepting from Mile High Stadium. How could anyone think he's arrogant?

I know you could easily care less but why not? I'm sorry but to some people actually think it is a big deal that in a nation that just 50 years ago a black person especially in the south could not eat at any restaurant they wanted to, work where they wanted to, vote in every election, Go to the college or university of their choice, among other things. A black person will be accepting the Democratic nomination to vie for the presidency of this nation..

A nation that has inched closer to the premise that all men are created equal when my great great grandmother was a slave. When I can tell my sons and my daughter that you can be whatever you want and mean it wholeheartedly regardless of the fact that their ancestors were slaves.

Let me be purely emotional here for a second before you threaten to ban me. :cwink:

Whether you like Obama or not it is a big deal to some of us. With some of the horrible things that I have experienced in my life because of my color it is a BIG DEAL to me and lot of other people black and white.

If I could be at the convention I would but I know a lot of people that are planning to be there on that Thursday night. On the anniversary of the articulation of a dream that so many black people never thought could be a possibility.

Yeah it's going to be a crowd.

Ya'll can rip me apart now :woot:

Hahaha!

I just don't understand the logic in criticizing Obama for making the decision to hold the convention in a high capacity place (he'll be able to personally address the maximum amount of people) and hold it in a place that will garner a little more media attention. Having a large crowd works well with cameras filming too, similar to the powerful image of Obama addressing the huge crowd in Berlin.

Maybe, for the sole purpose of getting rid of these arrogance claims against him, Obama should hold the convention in my bedroom. I'll invite my buddies Gerard, Seamus, Frank, I'll get some pringles and jaffa cakes. I'll film it with my camcorder and upload it to youtube so everyone can see how laid back and non-arrogant Obama is.

OMG! He's holding his Convention in a stadium! What audacity! What arrogance!

Speaking of audacity, I started reading The Audacity Of Hope today. Man, Obama sure can write a good book.

The criticism is it implies that he is somehow better than other candidates before him. That his candidacy is more important than other candidates for preisdent. So important that he snubs the traditional convention center in favor for a massive stadium. Same with the Berlin speech. There is a certain ammount of arrogance in the implication that his presidency is more important than any one elses'.

And sure, maybe Obama is somehow more important as Tag said. Doesn't change the fact that flaunting ones own importance does show at least a bit of arrogance. Its as LS said in the Obama thread the other day. Him showing a little humility would go a long way. Changing the original location of the speech to a massive stadium does not show any kind of humility. It paints a picture of someone who is entirely full of himself (whether it is true or not, that is how McCain will play it, that is how pundits will play it, etc). Obama hasn't won yet and giving any possible break in the defense at such a crucial stage is foolish.

I thought it was because Obama wants that rocky mountain high :huh: :huh:

The criticism is it implies that he is somehow better than other candidates before him.

Hes not the 1st to accept in a stadium :huh:

The criticism is it implies that he is somehow better than other candidates before him. That his candidacy is more important than other candidates for preisdent. So important that he snubs the traditional convention center in favor for a massive stadium. Same with the Berlin speech. There is a certain ammount of arrogance in the implication that his presidency is more important than any one elses'.

In regards to Invesco why could in not just be that a lot of people want to be there. If he does not fill the stadium you may have a point. But if McCain could fill Invesco do you think that he would nothold his convention there?

I guess you think MLK was arrogant and presumptuous too.

Not to mention JFK.

MLK was not running for president and Jack Kennedy was, if nothing else, a VERY arrogant man. Many words can be used to describe Kennedy and his family. Humble doesn't really apply to any of them.

And sure, maybe Obama is somehow more important as Tag said. Doesn't change the fact that flaunting ones own importance does show at least a bit of arrogance. Its as LS said in the Obama thread the other day. Him showing a little humility would go a long way. Changing the original location of the speech to a massive stadium does not show any kind of humility. It paints a picture of someone who is entirely full of himself (whether it is true or not, that is how McCain will play it, that is how pundits will play it, etc). Obama hasn't won yet and giving any possible break in the defense at such a crucial stage is foolish.

Reagan held his Inaugural Gala at Radio City Music Hall. Is that not a massive stadium? Obama obviously wants his message to be heard by the max capacity. I don't see them problem with this. At all.

Reagan held his Inaugural Gala at Radio City Music Hall. Is that not a massive stadium? Obama obviously wants his message to be heard by the max capacity. I don't see them problem with this. At all.

Key word, inaugural. He had already won. Apples and oranges.

JFK was more confident than arrogant; he didnt think he was better than anybody else; most of his appela was the everyman factor according to the history channel :o

JFK was very arrogant. He had a common man appeal because he was known to fight for them in his political career just as his family of politicans did (plus at the time, a good majority of the working class in America were Irish-Catholic, like Kennedy). He was still arrogant and would be remembered as such if he weren't shot.

If McCain thought he could have 75,000 people come to hear him speak at his convention you don't think he would do it?

Key word, inaugural. He had already won. Apples and oranges.

I had a feeling that argument would backfire on me.

Personally, while I disagree with you, I get your point. I've been disappointed with Obama as of late, but I don't think he's this truly arrogant. However, I can see how people can twist it like that. Truth be told, I'm not as enraptured with Obama as I was early on in the primaries. He seems to me to be more of the "lesser of two evils" than someone truly different and uniting these days.

If McCain thought he could have 75,000 people come to hear him speak at his convention you don't think he would do it?

I don't give a damn if McCain could. Saying something that is not reality does not justify anything Barack Obama does. Hell, even if McCain did do it, it still wouldn't matter. It would simply make the both of them arrogant, just as "If McCain could raise 200 million dollars he would back out of public financing," doesn't make Obama going back on his word any better.

JFK was very arrogant. He had a common man appeal because he was known to fight for them in his political career just as his family of politicans did (plus at the time, a good majority of the working class in America were Irish-Catholic, like Kennedy). He was still arrogant and would be remembered as such if he weren't shot.

JFK and Obama hold many parallells, in my opinion.

JFK and Obama hold many parallells, in my opinion.

Not really. Any parallells basically end with their young age. Certain pro-Obama pundits like to throw that around, but there are really very few similarities between the two.

Not really. Any parallells basically end with their young age. Certain pro-Obama pundits like to throw that around, but there are really very few similarities between the two.

I drew a few very minor, superficial comparisons.

So Obama should be maligned because 75,000 people want to come hear him accept the democratic nomination.

I am dumbfounded by this.

Has it occured to you that maybe--just maybe--the demand from a lot of voters has prompted this decision? A LOT of people want to be a part of this Matt...history is being made.

It scares me that you are so quick to attribute anything positive as a negative--and directly to Obama's character at that. :whatever:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"