The 25 Days of Christmas - 2023 Edition

Don't Open till Christmas (1984)

Shudder is a treasure trove for Christmas horror movies :hehe:

This one is a zero budget shocker from shlock producer Dick Randall. Production values are practically non-existent and the film is barely coherent, but it almost redeems itself due to its seedy atmosphere of exploitation and sleaze. Almost.

MV5BMTljMjAxMzYtMzAxZC00MmViLTljYmEtMzdhYzVlNjUwNzlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_.jpg

acfJOpC.jpg

I went in after watching the trailer thinking this might be a decent enough Home Alone/home intruder story with Damian, as Batman seemingly had gone to some whatever mission and Alfred somehow is missing as well, and not so much more. But it was way more to it storywise. I had zero expectations, and got myself a highly enjoyable combination of slapstick cartoon action AND some surprisingly heartwarming and thoughtful moments (without too much simple sentimentality)

They used the classic villians in a great and fun way, and the voice casting was really good over all IMHO. Some fun movie references as well (Freeze and Bane for instance). I've had my issues with Damian as a character, often considering him being very annoying. This is one of the great exceptions though. Over all, a great little Christmas Batflick.

s-l1200-1.webp

Nutcracker Fantasy (1979)

I highly doubt I'll ever see a better version of the Nutcracker. An outrageous Japanese stop-motion puppet animation from the late 1970's, with a wonderful synth score, with prog and schlager elements peppered in. There's a Hello Kitty cameo of sorts! Nutcracker Fantasy is an endlessly fascinating and delightful barrage of color and artistry.

Fanny__Alexander_elokuvajuliste_Erkki_Ruuhinen.jpeg

Fanny and Alexander (1982)

Five stars, this one instantly became one of my favorite films. It's gloriously well-made and truly intriguing, mixing reality and fantasy with unexpected grace. I'm very much looking forward to watching the five-hour version.

krampus_2015_teaser_original_film_art.jpeg

Krampus (2015)

9th annual watch party with friends, it's still a lot of fun. This time I baked some chocolate potato chip cookies, much recommended :funny:

Fanny__Alexander_elokuvajuliste_Erkki_Ruuhinen.jpeg

Fanny and Alexander (1982)

Five stars, this one instantly became one of my favorite films. It's gloriously well-made and truly intriguing, mixing reality and fantasy with unexpected grace. I'm very much looking forward to watching the five-hour version.
A true classic. It's one of Bergman's maybe "easiest to get into" films compared to his earlier cinematic work, since it has some lighthearted humouros moments at first. It gets darker through out, but very captivating all the way. As you said, the mixing of reality and fantasy works really well. I'd say it's not the first time Bergman has done things close to that, but atm I can't come up with a title. Maybe I'm to tired lol.

A huge part of the cast here was a legacy of legendary Swedish actors/actresses, and sadly very few of them are alive today. I remember when watching this back then as a 15-16yo how confused and horrified I was by Jan Malmsjö's totally evil character. Growing up in the 70s/80s we were all used by him playing totally opposite light hearted characters. In other words, typically perfect casting by Bergman lol.

Last edited:
A true classic. It's one of Bergman's maybe "easiest to get into" films compared to his earlier cinematic work, since it has some lighthearted humouros moments at first. It gets darker through out, but very captivating all the way. As you said, the mixing of reality and fantasy works really well. I'd say it's not the first time Bergman has done things close to that, but atm I can't come up with a title. Maybe I'm to tired lol.

A huge part of the cast here was a legacy of legendary Swedish actors/actresses, and sadly very few of them are alive today. I remember when watching this back then as a 15-16yo how confused and horrified I was by Jan Malmsjö's totally evil character. Growing up in the 70s/80s we were all used by him playing totally opposite light hearted characters. In other words, typically perfect casting by Bergman lol.

This was only the second Bergman I've seen, after The Seventh Seal. I've loved everything I've watched so far, but there's a lot to discover. Scenes from a Marriage is next. Any recommendations from his vast filmography?

This was only the second Bergman I've seen, after The Seventh Seal. I've loved everything I've watched so far, but there's a lot to discover. Scenes from a Marriage is next. Any recommendations from his vast filmography?
Yeah, there's truly a vast filmography there, lots and lots I haven't watched myself.

I have one favourite myself: Smultronstället/Wild Strawberries (1957), starring an elderly Victor Sjöström (Sjöström was both an actor and director of many films, a classic he directed is Körkarlen/The Phantom Carriage way back in 1921). Wild Strawberries is a story about aging which has a quite well known dream sequence (unfortunately in very low quality here):

I would also recommend Jungfrukällan/The Virgin Spring (1960). It won the Best Foreign Language cathegory at the Academy Awards that year. Starring Max Von Sydow. It's a pretty dark story set in the 14th century, but really good IMHO.

Watching Christmas with Krankes…and sure won’t finish that.
Should be called Christmas with the Cringe and be buried somewhere.
Dan Akroyd should be ashamed of his acting in that piece of ****.

Violent Night is still just a delightfully fun flick. I know there's a sequel in the works but I want a prequel still, exploring the past of Nicomund the Red.

Watching Christmas with Krankes…and sure won’t finish that.
Should be called Christmas with the Cringe and be buried somewhere.
Dan Akroyd should be ashamed of his acting in that piece of ****.

It's truly terrible. All I can really remember about it is the hickory honey ham they keep waffling about for 98 minutes. All that for canned meat...

I've got Home Alone on right now and Kevin drinking milk with dinner is kind of on point because it puts him in the same category as other famous movie psychopaths like Alex from A Clockwork Orange, Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men, Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds, and the girlfriend from Get Out. :o

1703472044067.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"