The 25 Days of Christmas - 2023 Edition

The Holdovers

paul-hunham-and-angus-tully-looking-at-each-other-the-holdovers.gif

Is it too early to start posting in this thread? Yeah, probably, but I was blown away by this film. Instant Christmas classic, really won me over by the end.

You guys should check it out while it's still in theaters.
Payne is a POS but I am looking forward to this one. It's not showing anywhere near me yet, though.

I'll be respecting the Thanksgiving truce and holding off on Christmas movies until then, but I pulled the trigger on switching my avi over to ole Arthur. Need some festive spirit to get through these next few weeks of classes.

I started watching Christmas movies when Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas started on Oct. 20th. At night I would watch Horror movies/content and in the mornings I was watching Christmas movies that I had DVRed.

So what about that Christmas movie with The Rock (where he took that record breaking paycheck) and Chris Evans on Prime? Wikipedia says that it‘l be released 2023 - but no trailer yet.
I doubt that they’ll release it after Christmas. And then they have to wait a full year.

Yeah, this is a weird one; Red One.

I assume they had it ready for this Thanksgiving/Christmas until the strike. Obviously they weren’t going to put it out without The Rock going all out selling it with that 50M paycheck!

Now that the strike is over, maybe they feel it’s too late to properly sell it in time for Christmas. Especially if they were planning a theatrical release. Was it going theatrical?

I think they may just sit on it till next Thanksgiving/Christmas.

I watched EXmas this morning and it was good but nothing special. It stars Leighton Meester and Robbie Amell. It has some funny moments but other moments that just fall flat. Basically Leighton and Robbie are ex's and Robbie's family invites Leighton for Christmas because Robbie isn't coming and he comes home. But when Leighton first sees Robbie her reaction for some reason had me lmao. I would probably give it a 6/10 I want to watch it again to see if I wasn't paying enough attention or if it's just really a 6/10. On a side note I don't think I've ever watched a movie with Leighton Meester were I didn't like her. But it's not like I've seen everything she's been in either. Also they play a Werewolf game in the movie that I want to play with my family.

A Christmas Horror Story (2015)

This has been on my radar for ages but I never knew it was a Canadian production :hehe:

Anyway I'm a sucker for seasonal scary movies and horror anthologies so there was no way I wasn't gonna love this! Sure it's no Trick 'r Treat but I still enjoyed the heck out of it. I also appreciated how the film plays it straight (for the most part) and gratefully leaves most of the snark at the door...

MV5BODg3NTAwNzk5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjA4OTE3MDI@._V1_.jpg

A Christmas Horror Story (2015)

This has been on my radar for ages but I never knew it was a Canadian production :hehe:

Anyway I'm a sucker for seasonal scary movies and horror anthologies so there was no way I wasn't gonna love this! Sure it's no Trick 'r Treat but I still enjoyed the heck out of it. I also appreciated how the film plays it straight (for the most part) and gratefully leaves most of the snark at the door...

View attachment 73325
Christmas Bloody Christmas (2022)

Continuing the Christmas Horror Movie marathon :hehe:

Found this little gem on Shudder.

Black Christmas meets The Terminator. And you know what? I freaking loved it :oldrazz:

View attachment 74049
Haha, you managed to combine your two loves. :funny:

These posters are epic! I think I might enjoy these from the look of them. I'm also all for efficiency so if I can get my Halloween and Xmas movies done in half the time I'll take it. :D

Can't wait to start the marathon tomorrow, I have a great line-up prepared :loving: ...and an evening ticket for Godzilla Minus One. I'm sure I can make the time for a little Christmas film as well.

Okay, so in the past week I kicked things off with -

1) Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
miracle-on34th-street-christmas.gif

The family always kicks off the season with this, because what could be better? It starts on Thanksgiving, ends on Christmas. 70+ years later, Ed Gwenn remains the definitive Santa Claus.

2) Arthur Christmas
b994062a838000ecee071960017ddafc8078264b.gif

One of the most underrated Christmas movies out there, and a big fave of my own, as the seasonal avi gives away. Such a clever gem.

3) Muppet Christmas Carol
3216c4b6a7ee49e9b09ef7f2a4b00005.gif

4) Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger
6e4caea1a1bc9f5698b93ff517a24d430a3c03c9.gifv

DO NOT buy Jack Black from Shein!

Mr. Poppy is insufferable, but this has enough adorable kids, laughably absurd nonsense and David Tennant to make it a good time with slightly intoxicated friends :funny:

Deck the Halls (2006)

Believe it or not, this is my first time seeing this.

I kinda liked it - at least it feels like a Christmas movie...

MV5BMTIzNjA4OTM0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDgwODkzMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

IMG_3524.jpeg

2/10 - Lasted about 30 minutes before I turned it off. Unbelievably irritating.

IMG_3525.jpeg

8/10 - That’s more like it. Very heartwarming and just what I needed after Eight Crazy Nights.

Family Switch (2023) - what a mess. one of the most disasterously bad movies I've seen all year. The acting, writing and directing all managing to make the worst possible choices all at once. And it doesn't even feel like a Christmas movie, more like Netflix dug a script out of their trash bin and dipped it in some tinsel because they needed an obligatory holiday family release. Fun to make fun of, but that's it.

Genie (2023) - certainly better than Family Switch, but that doesn't make it good. Melissa McCarthy is at least charming in her role, though, so that makes the paper-thin script palatable.

Better Watch Out (2016)

The Christmas Horror Movie Marathon continues :basicgrin:

This one was just kinda 'meh' for me. The two kids were annoying AF...

MV5BNmE5NWQyYjktMmMzYi00YjY2LWFmNTUtMWQyMzcwNWM2NWYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

MV5BMTkyNmU2ZjUtNzIwMy00MWRlLWE4ZWQtYzJhYjU0MmUxZjhiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDgyODgxNjE._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpeg

Tokyo Godfathers (2003)

Simply excellent. It's one of the best Christmas movies I've ever seen, so much heart, personality, and style.

die-hard.jpeg

Die Hard (1988)

The perfect holiday blockbuster. I haven't seen any of the sequels, maybe that would be a worthy investment of time in the near future.

MV5BOWMyNjE0MzEtMzVjNy00NjIxLTg0ZjMtMWJhNGI1YmVjYTczL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpeg

A Christmas Story (1983)

A mega classic, that until now I hadn't seen. I had a great time, it's surprisingly funny too.

This Christmas (2007)

First time seeing this. Another classic under my belt :pcg:

MV5BMjE0NDY5Mzk2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzI3MDM4._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Black_Christmas_1974_poster-1.jpeg

Black Christmas (1974)

Both one of my favorite Christmas and slasher films. It's still genuinely creepy, those phone calls are chilling. I like how mysterious it is and it's a shame that the remakes apparently spell the whole story out. I'm planning on watching them both this week, so I'll know soon enough.

s-l1600-1.jpeg

Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas (1997)

I was hoping for a cute and inoffensive little film, but it was actually pretty terrible and somehow made the original film worse. Oof, the only thing I'll remember about it in the long run is the stereotypically Jewish axe.

Sieppaa.jpeg

Violent Night (2022)

This was pretty good, but it's a little overlong for what it has to offer. If it was a snappy 90 minutes it would probably work a lot better. I also kept thinking about how much funnier the movie would be if instead of a badass Viking Santa, it was starring a classic jolly Saint Nick, who in the same scenario just happened to find out he had a taste for violence and a bulletproof coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"