The Abyss....rewatched

Hate this movie. It looks terrible, its just boring imo...do not like.

Same with Titanic. Dont like it either. Everything else is gold.

Hahahahaha. People like you must not watch movies. Titanic is maybe the best movie ever made.

On topic: Abyss is a beautyfull movie, with one of the best cinematographies ever. The whole wersion is truly amazing. This is brilliant movie.

i absolutly adore this film, the the exeption of the ending

i need to watch this movie again before Avatar. the glowing aliens looked fantastic.

I also love this movie. I dont know why people think its bad....its better than true lies, thats for sure.

There's this odd stigma around this movie, I have a few friends and know a couple people on other forums who have bad mouthed this movie for no reason, who haven't watched the movie since they were kids.

I was lucky enough to find the special edition a year or so ago, it's a great look into the film.

the movie is very slow. and a lot of people like faster movies. not talking about the action. but characters and story in general.

plus they dont change the locations. its almost always in the same place.

I liked The Abyss and seing the longer cut I liked it even more. I like it's message.

There's this odd stigma around this movie, I have a few friends and know a couple people on other forums who have bad mouthed this movie for no reason, who haven't watched the movie since they were kids.

I was lucky enough to find the special edition a year or so ago, it's a great look into the film.

It's the usual Hateraid stand crap. They seen it in the early 90's, and it bored them, so boo, it still sucks.

I know my parents were pretty disturbed by the drowning scene, perhaps that's part of that negative stigma.

the thing i love about this movie is that (almost) everything feels real. it's not until the end that it starts getting fantastical, but up until then you can believe that everything can happen in the real world. imo, that's what sets good movies apart from bad ones. even though the ideas are otherworldly, Cameron found a way to make the movie feel so real that your emotions are invested in these "real" characters in very dark, grim, and "real" situations.

Pretty narrow view of cinema. You wouldn't enjoy something like the Fountain with that mindset.

Yeah, I've always had this feeling that The Abyss is a overlooked gem in Cameron's filmography. Unlike other Cameron films (Terminator 1+2, True Lies, Aliens, Titanic, ect), whenever I mention The Abyss to friends or co-workers, I typically get this look indicating they either haven't seen the film in a number of years, or know hardly anything about it.

Which is really unfortunate.

I must say, i think this movie is great. I can sit down and re-watch it still and i dont get tired of it. I never got the 'hate' from some people towards it, but oh well. To each their own i guess.

ed harris slapping his wife back to life is one of the most emotionally intense scenes i've seen in a while

The theatrical cut falls apart at the end. It's one of the few Extended Editions that's a huge improvement.

I think it's a movie that's saved from being really mawkish by its actors. It still falls into that category every now and then, but it stays on the right side of the line mostly. The drownings in the movie add a real gravitas. Michael Biehn's role though falls on the wrong side of cartoonishness though. You wonder why his own men don't notice. The "aliens" don't really fit very well into the overall plot.

I enjoy the film, but like Titanic, I think it reveals a lot of Cameron's limitations as a writer. I certainly wouldn't call the husband/wife relationship adult. Cameron's better when he aims for pulp rather than trying to be insightful.

I'd call it good, but flawed. A great technical achievement attached to a story that's ambitious but beyond Cameron's skills to really pull off.

ed harris slapping his wife back to life is one of the most emotionally intense scenes i've seen in a while

Definately, one of the few movie scene's to actually make me shed a tear, I get emotional in emotional scene's in movies, but never close to tears, that scene brought a tear to my eye, great scene.

never cared to see it... looks massively boring.

Pretty narrow view of cinema. You wouldn't enjoy something like the Fountain with that mindset.
first off, i was indifferent about the Fountain. i liked the first half, then the second half got too abstract and i lost track of what was happening. i got the feeling that Aronofsky wanted the viewer interpret their own conclusion, but it's too open for my taste. it was a good film otherwise.

second, i don't get how you came to that conclusion. i said what sets good films apart from bad films is how they deal with unbelievable scenarios. bad films take unbelievable scenarios and put them on film without taking the effort to flesh them out and make them feel real while good films take unbelievable scenarios and put in the effort to make them feel like they could actually happen. Fountain is a film that combined abstract scenes and visuals and combined them with realistic scenarious...which falls into neither of the categories i just mentiond. the Fountain is a VERY unique movie because it deals with scenes that are not only unbelievable, but ABSTRACT. i don't only watch movies that have unbelievable plots/premises and they're not the only kinds of movies that make good films. i'm just saying that when it comes to movies that DO have unbelievable scenarios, the ones that flesh out those scenes enough to make you believe that they could actually happen are the movies that end up being well done. sorry if you were confused by my post.

Last edited:
It's amazing, but the movie is boring. However, I consider The Godfather to be simultaneously the most boring and most perfect movie ever made. The Abyss sort of falls into that category. The fact that it can be so slow and tedious, and so good at the same time speaks volumes about the quality of the film and Cameron as a director. Like The Godfather, I usually come across this movie on tv and leave it on for background noise while I'm doing something else. Before I know it, it's several hours later, and I've been sucked into watching it - sitting on the edge of my bed, staring with my mouth open. It just does that to me.

same here. imo, that scene shows just how hard Cameron pushed those actors. they did so many takes and on one particularly good take they either didn't have the camera running or they ran out of film and Mary (the actress) lost her mind right then and there. the fact that Cameron was able to get those kinds of performances out of those actors in such a stressful time when they've already been shooting physically and mentally exhausting underwater scenes is a testament to both Cameron and the actors involved. this is why i think it's such a shame that this movie didn't enjoy the success that i think it deserves.

It's amazing, but the movie is boring. However, I consider The Godfather to be simultaneously the most boring and most perfect movie ever made. The Abyss sort of falls into that category. The fact that it can be so slow and tedious, and so good at the same time speaks volumes about the quality of the film and Cameron as a director. Like The Godfather, I usually come across this movie on tv and leave it on for background noise while I'm doing something else. Before I know it, it's several hours later, and I've been sucked into watching it - sitting on the edge of my bed, staring with my mouth open. It just does that to me.
A movie can be slow without being boring. In the same time a movie that is fast can also be boring. When a movie is boring it means that you lose interest for some reason. if you lose interest in the movie, then its not perfect.

I watched this film today for the first time and I think it is a pretty good film but the aliens felt misplaced to me. It was a very human story until the aliens appeared and then it is when it got a bit weird because it just didn't seem to fit in with the tone of the film that had already been established. The film was more about the relationship between Bud and Lin and everyone else trying to survive. The film could have been incredibly emotional if everyone slowly died, one by one.

I watched this film in parts and not in one go so I may have missed something but was it explained why the aliens are on Earth?

And what is with the ending? The huge alien spaceship rises out of the water and then the film ends?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"