The Abyss....rewatched

I'm trying to watch the movie for the first time ever right now. I'm about an hour and ten minutes in and...not much has happened.. :p

But, I'll try to finish it by tomorrow night.

Its a pitty this movie didnt meet the expectations. There wasa big hype built around it and it had a huge level of secrecy. Unfortunately, copycats killed the movie. There were two other underwater movies the very same year (Leviathan and Deep Star Six), so it was already a tired overkill for the audiences to see a third one already with the same basic premise. And lets not forget the 89's Batman which started Batmania and was pretty much the first superhero mvie that wasnt corny and didnt include people in spandex and colored underwear, so that was something really new.

It WAS a hit, but just felt short of expectations, especially since the budget was so big

So its a pitty. Even oppose to those other two movies which only simulated being underwater and were shot in smoke, he actually filmed it all really under water in giant nuclear plant. It was also the movie he invested the most in AND it was also the most expensive movie ever at the time ($70 mill)

Oh and the cast was oscar worthy. Mastrantonio, Garris and Biehn especially

Last edited:
bit movie, the theatrical version ending is almost nonsensical. the special edition pretty much fixes the ending.
I really don't have a problem with cameron's dialogue or plot. he isn't the best writer in thw world but bet he certainly knows how to keep to gripped or become emotionally attached to the characters.

one thing I don't like about the abyss is under the water the alien ship has an almost ethereal quality to it, above the water their ship has a metal clunky quality to it. yuck!

Just watched it for the first time. Saw the director's cut. The first 100 minutes were kinda meh, but it really kicks into gear and boy it just keeps running with it.

The entire Harris/Mastrantonio drowning/resuscitate sequence was emotionally epic and stole the movie. The ending was very surprising to see as I can see how much it has influenced other similar sci-fi films that came after it.

The directors cut is the only way to go. I can't believe they didn't use that ending. It was way more epic in scope.

I just found a used copy of this that has a second disc of bonus features...I never even knew this set existed. I can't wait to watch the documentary on the making of/production.

James Cameron is the epitome of "perfectionist" and the more of perfectionist someone is, the less compromise there is. i admire Cameron's perfectionism because if he weren't the way he is then we wouldn't have as many great movies...including the ones inspired by Cameron and his films.

it's kinda one of those movies that you have to be in the mood to watch, but it's definitely a classic.

Yeah...Cameron films for sure have a different feel to them than many other films. When you watch one of his films you KNOW who directed it. I'm not sure what it is...it's just a specific feel.

Cameron is not a perfectionist in all the areas of filmmaking. He clearly puts the least effort in his screenplays.

Stanley Kubrick was a total perfectionist.

Cameron is not a perfectionist in all the areas of filmmaking. He clearly puts the least effort in his screenplays.

Stanley Kubrick was a total perfectionist.

hmm...but it's the stories that seem to grab people the most.

The Abyss is fantastic. Never watched the Theatrical Cut, don't want to ruin what I hold as very dear, and I can't resist putting on the DC if I'm going to watch it. Vastly under-rated. It's Cameron's version of 2001.

I just found a used copy of this that has a second disc of bonus features...I never even knew this set existed. I can't wait to watch the documentary on the making of/production.

I have the 2 disk set and that making of documentary is almost as riveting as the movie. Ed Harris is very frank about some of his bad feelings toward Cameron and tells a story of about how he almost drown...seriously.

Forget the movie about the blue people and the boat that sank, to me, The Abyss is the quientessential Cameron movie. It has a young, ambitious James Cameron's stamp all over it.

i have the original issue of the 2 disc with the theater/extended cut. and while the movie is great i REALLY wish they would re issue it in 'anamorphic' it is on the blu ray but does not have all the extras and i think it is theater cut only. as of now it looks like CRAP on my 32" LCD Bravia :cmad:.

The Abyss
HBO Now has kicked off the new year by adding both James Cameron’s “The Abyss” and “True Lies” to their service, both in HD and their correct aspect ratio. The bad news is “The Abyss” is theatrical cut only, no special edition, and there’s conflicting reports indicating this is likely NOT the 4K remaster Cameron has worked on that will hopefully arrive sometime in 2020 on disc and more widespread streaming services (ie. Amazon, iTunes, Vudu, etc.). [Source: Bloody Disgusting]

The director's cut of the movie is a masterpiece. The theatrical cut removes the whole message and subtext about the film.

Space.com: "The Abyss" is often a neglected Cameron classic that was a pioneering film in so many ways. What can you tell us about concept art created for it and will there be a high-definition 4K transfer at some point?

Cameron: Yeah, we finished the transfer and I wanted to do it myself because Mikael [Salomon] did such a beautiful job with the cinematography on that film. It is truly, truly gorgeous cinematography. That was before I started to assert myself in terms of lighting and asking the cinematographer to do certain things. I'd compose with the camera and choose the lenses, but I left the lighting to him. He did a remarkable job on that movie that I appreciate better now than I did even as we were making it.

I'd also like to point out that he took one look at the first day's dailies of the underwater lighting and he went out and learned to scuba dive. He came in the following Monday morning, the worst diver in the world, but he reinvented underwater lighting. He went for indirect lighting and he got everybody doing things that were not just outside their comfort zone, they'd never even thought of it. Suddenly the underwater shots start to live up to the surface photography.

So I just recently finished the high-def transfer a couple of months ago so presumably there’ll be Blu-rays and it will stream with a proper transfer from now on. I appreciate what you said about the film. It didn't make much money in its day, but it does seem to be well-liked over time. The designers were basically Ron Cobb on the one hand, and Steve Burg on the other, who was lead designer of the NTIs, the non-terrestrial intelligence, the look of their city and bodies and faces. Steve was a guy that I worked with on "Terminator 2" after that. He was quite young at the time and fairly new to design.

Whereas Ron Cobb was quite well seasoned. He'd done "Blade Runner" and "Alien" and worked with me on "Aliens." Ron did all the lived-in tech of the underwater oil rig. I’m sure there were people that saw the film and thought that we just went and filmed on one of those underwater oil rigs that they have. Which they don't! But it looked real enough that you believed it was a real facility. It looked like the real deal if there ever was such a thing.

Steve of course got to be completely fanciful and use very flourishy design language. I used the same motif I did on "Aliens," which is to cast seasoned artists to do different design cultures. So there’s the human technology culture and then there was the alien culture.

James Cameron recounts 50 years of cinematic art in lavish 'Tech Noir' book (exclusive) | Space

This movie has nothing on Abyssal Spider. :o

Just kidding. I loved this film back in the day but for the life of me, I can’t remember if I saw the theatrical cut or the director’s cut. What are the primary differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"