The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t freaking wait.

I’ve been reading Geoff Johns Aquaman run and I’m so glad he has a story and co-writer credit.

What’s so great about that run, more so than the stories in the characterizations. Love Johns’ run. Agree 100%

Honestly for me making Arthur back into the badass that he is. His characterzation of Mera and I love the Flashbacks of him and his dad. Currently on the final trade but I finished Throne of Atlantis yesterday and it was epic. I felt for Arthur as he tried to prevent the war as you got to see he really was trapped between two worlds. With the Death of a King storyline I’m loving seeing Arthur deal with the burden of the Throne.

giphy.gif

Wonder Woman survived going up against Guardians 3rd week, Spiderman Homecoming, Transformers, Cars, Despicable Me...etc so Aquaman is fine. Animated superhero movies don't do big business and the Transformers franchise is DOA.

Anyway can't wait for the trailer!!
WW is not Aquaman, WW & BP had massive social value and had been introduced in financially successful crossovers

I am not sure we should be that confident in the Aquaman BO when Variety reports a trailer for it should be coming as a footnote in an article mainly about A Star is Born and Mowgli. That shows a ton of apathy.

This excerpt from EW sounds promising.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/06/12/jam...gn=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com

"James has done an incredible job with his team," Warner Bros. boss Toby Emmerich exclaims. "The film is taking you to a different place and imagining the underwater world in a way you haven’t seen before." Producer Peter Safran, meanwhile, adds that Aquaman has "got the great action you expect, it’s got a lot of great humor, it works on so many levels … it’s a testament to James’ unique vision. I think it’s an extraordinary step in DC Universe that sets it on the right path." Sounds good, right?

Apparently, we'll not only get to see the seven undersea kingdoms but also giant octopi and Atlanteans riding great white sharks into battle. "The underwater stuff has never been executed like this before," Geoff Johns teases. "The visual effects shots coming in are just beautiful. James can switch modes from horror to big bright colorful action to really emotional scenes. He’s so able to hit all these different genres.

This is all very reassuring. I think this is gonna be a big crowd pleaser a la Wonder Woman.

Well, that all sounds well and good but I'll need to hear some praise from people who aren't on WB's payroll before I trust that this movie is going to be great.

WW is not Aquaman, WW & BP had massive social value and had been introduced in financially successful crossovers

That's true, but Aquaman doesn't have to be a massive breakout hit to be a success. Doctor Strange box office would be fantastic. That's a more reasonable target, as it was also a solo movie with no crossover elements, and no particular social significance.

This isn't a 250M dollar movie, to my knowledge, or a mash-up, so it doesn't need to do those type of numbers. What was a flop for Justice League would be a win for Aquaman, especially with good reviews and fan response (which it will need to get there anyway).

If Aquaman and Shazam can both deliver on that level, it will be a very positive step forward for the DC films. That will start to change expectations, along with the WW sequel.

I’m going crazy keep checking to see if the trailer dropped.

Yeah I wouldn't expect anything now. Just give it a month.

Give me Manta or give me death.

It does seem super early to release a trailer.

Give me Manta or give me death.

Definitely hoping for a look at manta and orm

Also have high hopes to see the classic aquaman costume but I’m not so sure that will happen

Well, that all sounds well and good but I'll need to hear some praise from people who aren't on WB's payroll before I trust that this movie is going to be great.

How about the positive notes out of the test screenings?

Like i said Aquaman should be fine. Bumblebee is not a huge movie (Transformers is more toxic than the DCEU) and animated superhero films don't make bank at the boclx office, like their live action counterparts. Aquaman just needs to be good, like WW and BP and it'll survive.

I think you’re underestimating the bad taste that JL left in people’s mouths. At least after BvS came out there were reviews that said WW was the best thing about it. I didn’t read a single review that made the same comment for Aquaman after JL.

I think this movie will be lucky to do Ant-Man numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"