The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved this trailer and I’m pumped for the movie now more than ever. I like Moma as Aquaman. He is brash, cocky, a bit of an outsider, and when he is comfortable in a role he has a commanding presence. You can tell he is enjoying being Aquaman and that plays a major part in my enjoyment of the film. Just like Christopher Reece, RDJ, Gal Gadot, and a few others. The role isn’t a burden to him, he doesn’t regret being Aquaman. This trailer checked all the boxes that DC needs right now. It was fun, adventurous, and epic. Some of the CGI needs some cleaning up but that’s to be expected. I don’t understand some of the complaints about to much CGI... it’s a movie that takes place underwater, in Atlantis , with battle sharks, sea dragons, and merpeople. Obviously it’s gonna be CGI heavy. This movie looks like adventure on the high seas. Exactly what I want from an Aquaman movie. Also this is his origin film, the character he starts as will probably have some development and growth. The “dudebro” attitude may find itself taking a backseat to the nobel warrior king

I'm not sure if it was Justice League, the trailer, or a combination of both but I'm still kinda "meh" about Aquaman. I think it'll turn out fairly well and looks pretty good visually but I'm not sold like I am for Shazam!

Still not sure how I feel about Momoa in the role and Amber Heard's line delivery didn't really sell me in the trailer.

Basically, I'm not worried about Aquaman, or Shazam!, or the WW84 movie, in terms of the DCEU. I think these will be three strong movies.

After seeing the trailer, my interest level definitely raised a few points. I have some concerns:

We'll see how Nicole Kidman works out. She and Natalie Portman are similar in that... there are times that I can love both actresses, but there are other times where it feels like they are sleepwalking through roles.

The humor aspect of this movie worries me. I'm bummed that out of all the lessons to take from the MCU, the one that WB went with was "it must have humor." I was looking forward to a Wan directed, dark and scary Aquaman movie.

The actress with the bright red hair looks silly to me. Not a big fan of the changing eye color either. The grabbing of the trident by the young Arthur seemed awkward to me. Like, why would you catch it like that? Some of the material... I'm no leader, I'm not King.... we'll see how it goes. I could see how this could almost come off as soap opera-ish if done poorly.

I certainly liked Black Manta.. that was the highlight for me. I'm excited to see Momoa in the roll. I've seen him used to great effect, so I hope that this role is a good fit. It looks like it could be. My hope is that he doesn't become a caricatur and is a three dimensional character in the film though. 2 hours of Momoa looking cool isn't gonna do it for me.

For me, I'd give the trailer a 6.5 out of 10.

This looks terrible, awful, terrible.. I can't think of another word.
I'm getting JL teas.

After seeing the trailer, my interest level definitely raised a few points. I have some concerns:

We'll see how Nicole Kidman works out. She and Natalie Portman are similar in that... there are times that I can love both actresses, but there are other times where it feels like they are sleepwalking through roles.

The humor aspect of this movie worries me. I'm bummed that out of all the lessons to take from the MCU, the one that WB went with was "it must have humor." I was looking forward to a Wan directed, dark and scary Aquaman movie.

The actress with the bright red hair looks silly to me. Not a big fan of the changing eye color either. The grabbing of the trident by the young Arthur seemed awkward to me. Like, why would you catch it like that? Some of the material... I'm no leader, I'm not King.... we'll see how it goes. I could see how this could almost come off as soap opera-ish if done poorly.

I certainly liked Black Manta.. that was the highlight for me. I'm excited to see Momoa in the roll. I've seen him used to great effect, so I hope that this role is a good fit. It looks like it could be. My hope is that he doesn't become a caricatur and is a three dimensional character in the film though. 2 hours of Momoa looking cool isn't gonna do it for me.

Wonder Woman catches a sword in her movie in a similar way (battling Ludendorff). To stop a weapon coming at them quickly.

Is that a lesson from the MCU or something shouted at the top of their virtual lungs by fans in places just like this for years now, which, I'm sorry to tell ya'll that keep bringing up JL but... Yeah, it turning out like it did can partially be laid right at your own feet for the crazed gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes that was done for literally years online.

It’s panic, not panick.

I’m sorry, I’m was on my phone while out with friends last night and typing quickly and making some errors. I actually was trying to type panicking. But all good like I said no hard feelings man :up:

Last edited:
I liked the trailer a lot and I'm certainly more hyped than I was yesterday. I'm never really the one to complain about CGI, especially in a movie like this. I agree with superman-mos. The amount of things this movie has to cover, CGI wise, is pretty expansive so I get how incredibly difficult it is to tune everything perfectly. Also, I'm more realistic in that, yea it's about 5 mos out and sure they have time to fine tune it, but usually what I see is a slight improvement in many parts. I'm OK with that though. I'm not a filmmaker by any means and I don't know what the process is, so forgive my ignorance. I do wonder if knocking the CGI is really an issue that should be attributed to James Wan or the people in charge of Aquaman. I never quite understood why it's always just attributed to the director. Wouldn't that be more of an issue with the companies in charge of the CGI animation? Aquaman is using the likes of ILM and Weta, among a few other well established companies, so I don't know what's feasible and what's not. I also agree with Krypton Inc re: humor injected. I didn't think it was that bad in the Aquaman trailer though.

I’ve seen a few people say it looks like JL and I just.....don’t get it?
How does it look like JL? :funny:

I do not get how anyone can say this movie looks cheap. I saw someone say it looks like the CW. What? Lawd, this is a movie where you can see the money on the screen and it looks like Wan went all out. Im just not understanding the complaints about the visuals, this movie looks orgasmically beautiful.

Is it just the heavily stylized look that some arent clinging to?

What's with him saying "awesome" so much? I counted at least two, possibly three times he said it in a single trailer.

Definitely is reminiscent of GL. The dialogue is awful, the CGI looks incredibly fake. And I hate how obvious it is that everything underwater was shot dry with bubbles and distortion added in post. JL might've stumbled a little bit in its presentation, but the underwater effects looked far better than what was on display in this trailer.

Everyone talking normally is ludicrous to me.

Saying the CG looks like JL is an insult to the people at WETA and ILM. I mean not even the same CG companies are working on this film

What's with him saying "awesome" so much? I counted at least two, possibly three times he said it in a single trailer.

Definitely is reminiscent of GL. The dialogue is awful, the CGI looks incredibly fake. And I hate how obvious it is that everything underwater was shot dry with bubbles and distortion added in post. JL might've stumbled a little bit in its presentation, but the underwater effects looked far better than what was on display in this trailer.

Everyone talking normally is ludicrous to me.

Please tell me you're joking :huh:

Saying the CG looks like JL is an insult to the people at WETA and ILM. I mean not even the same CG companies are working on this film

Weta worked on justice league, but not ILM. I don’t know what exactly they did though.

Please tell me you're joking :huh:

The landscape shots of the cities look good, but when people are onscreen? It looked awful to me. It makes that shot of the waterfall in BP look fantastic in comparison. The concept of achieving the effect was seriously misguided, as was the idea that everyone talks normally. I could buy telepathy, sign language, the bubble from JL... even garbled speech, but this?

I don't have any issues. But I can see where the complaints are coming from, it's the under-water effects they have done, that is making the under water cinematography slightly blurry, to emphasize that this is an under-water world, is making people complain Bad CGI.

Double posted, but maybe since weta has done a lot of mo cap stuff, they may have worked on steppenwolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"