The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread - Part 5

Discussion in 'Aquaman' started by Thread Manager, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micromind New World New Rules

OK people still think that CGI is of same level and GL movie and Momoa is still playing dudebro.

I guess it's difficult to get people onboard when people have high expectations. It's amazing MCU movies manage to fulfill such high expectations on a regular basis. Those who didn't like the underwater CGI effects may just skip the movie (just a suggestion) as the movie is set underwater for more than 80 % of it's run-time.

#876 Micromind, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. Micromind New World New Rules

We never saw this shot that was teased before did we ?

[​IMG]

3. Sawyer High King

I'm willing to admit that I might have jumped to a conclusion.

[​IMG]

4. brandeezy89 Registered

To each it's own, I see no other way for them to achieve these effects. It's pretty much uncharted territory filmmaking wise. Especially if Wan's "two thirds take place underwater" statement is true. The only thing I can think of was Harry Potter's underwater sequence.

5. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

I agree. This movie looks rough.

I think what looks the worst is actually some of the on land scenes, like that shot with teenage Arthur catching the trident. Don’t know if it’s the green screen or the lighting.

Here’s hoping the leads have chemistry and the fun of the adventure at least carries the film.

#880 FeedOnATreeFrog, Jul 22, 2018
  6. Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

Watching it again I liked it even less, the CGI is a mess and a half, every time Heard comes on screen she pulls you out of it, the plot is cliched and has been done to death, and Mamoa's bro-isms are even more cringe worthy than in JL to the point they might as well call this movie Aquadude. Thank God for Shazam.

7. Micromind New World New Rules

CGI companies keep refining and improving CGI effects till the movie is close to release date, so the parts that look rough now (in the first trailer) will be improved upon in the movie, I'm sure of that.

8. combocaz Registered

I loved it. It looks amazing cant wait to see it.

9. Micromind New World New Rules

WETA worked on Steppenwolf vs Amazons on Themyscira part of Justice League movie. The effects in rest of the movie were done by Scanline, Double Negative and MPC. (and other smaller vfx studios.)

10. Godkiller Registered

I think people only complain about CGI if the movie was already bad enough. Generally, if the movie is good even really bad CGI is forgiven. It's fair to nitpick at a trailer but the movie has more important things to get right.

11. Astro13Zombie Registered

Have these been posted?
    Better look at that statue/the classic suit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#886 Astro13Zombie, Jul 22, 2018
  12. Yowza Registered

The trailer seemed a bit mixed to me which is what I expected to a degree. This film was made at sort of a recoup point but seems to infuse the newer direction throughout without losing the dramatic weight totally.

There was a section of the trailer right after going down to underwater Atlantis where things really seemed to soar but then bit choppy at points with infused lightness. They put a lot into it I can see from an effects point.

13. The Guard Registered

What?

There are like three, maybe four jokes in this trailer, and a visual gag with the stadium spectators. And the jokes aren't even overtly jokes. They're like...dry humor. Certainly not MCUesque.

This is a fairly serious trailer all the way around, and its loaded with conflict and drama. I don't get this complaint at all.

#888 The Guard, Jul 22, 2018
  14. jemoen Registered

Absolutely. So disappointed.

No shade, but you always act the same way when people don't like some DC trailer.
    Remember your posts about how epic JL's trailers were.
    [​IMG]

#889 jemoen, Jul 22, 2018
  15. The Guard Registered

I'm starting to think that knowing something isn't real is what causes people to say CGI is bad these days.

And the whole Aquabro thing…Mamoa is capable of being a lot more charismatic, and probably will be.

This is just the initial trailer. The dialogue scenes we saw with Arthur were just bits of exposition that are part of this story trailer. As we saw in Justice League, he’s not going to be quiet and stoic all the time. He’s actually going to talk to people about things, not make one word grunts the whole time.

16. Willi Berg On The Run

This was discussed before the trailer came out...but any ideas on who the guy on the left could be? Young Vulko? I used to think it was young Tom Curry but we saw from the trailer that Vulko trains young Arthur...Seems like an Atlantean character, not Tom Curry or Dr. Stephen Shin.

[​IMG]

#891 Willi Berg, Jul 22, 2018
  17. Godkiller Registered

Yeah, movie magic is gone because people know too much.

There's also a bit of a disconnect because people are watching on sorts of devices and don't know what to expect. When you're in the theatre, you get absorbed into the story and don't really think about CGI.

I also think people don't know WTF things look like underwater. lol If you been to aquariums, they have weird lighting and things actually look a little strange and fake like "CGI".

18. Wheels Groovy

Nah, Cesar isn't really there the apes franchise and I still feel like he seems tangible. I don't necessarily find the CG distracting in Aquaman from what I see but it's not tangible, which hardly any CG is, but I like the design of everything and how it looks.

19. Astro13Zombie Registered

Did you see Wan’s reply to the tweet telling him that Aquaman didn’t look wet enough for being under water? :funny:
    People don’t know what the **** they’re talking about but that won’t stop them.

20. Godkiller Registered

A hairy, gritty ape with normal gravity and light is going to feel more tangible that a smooth weightless shark underwater.

21. Wheels Groovy

True.

22. Godkiller Registered

Is the CGI in the trailer really that off from this?

[YT]rpbVJ1XATPw[/YT]

23. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

I’m really glad they let Jason have his normal eye color in this and they only change color at certain times. His eyes looked so weird in Justice League.

24. Kane52630 SILVER SHAMROCK USER

25. Willi Berg On The Run

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.