The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the trailer about 100 times and comparing to underwater videos and photography, I have to say that the cgi is at least 85%-90% on point. It's a bit difficult to nitpick. Something did seem a bit off at first and then I realized that the movie itself looks a bit too neat and clean. Amber is definitely wearing way too much makeup. She looked better in JL. The only other thing is that the trailer music is putting me off. I really hope the official music is good.

Let me say that after watching the trailer few times, I'm convinced that this movie will look glorious on big screen, they will fine tune CGI .

As ILM is still working on it and they still have more than four months left to do it, it will look great. I have no issues.

https://heroichollywood.com/aquaman-star-wars-inspired-vulko/

‘Aquaman’ Director Reveals ‘Star Wars’ And Kurosawa Films Inspired Vulko

by CARLOS CHAMON on JULY 21, 2018

Aquaman director James Wan has revealed that Willem Dafoe’s character Vulko was inspired by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Toshiro Mifune.

Wan revealed that part of making Aquaman relatable to movie audiences was including a training montage showing the character’s growth into the demi-god we see in the film:

"There was a part of me that wanted to have a Miyagi/Daniel-san moment in the movie where he’s training him on the beach, basically. The only thing he’s not doing is the crane kick."

The montage, Wan reveals, was very important for Willem Dafoe as well, who modeled himself after Toshiro Mifune in the classic Kurosawa films:

"For me anyway, what makes origin stories and origin superhero stories really fun is just watching the training sequences. Watching how they become who they are, and that is a sequence in the movie where his mentor, played by Willem Dafoe, Vulko, trains the boy. How to potentially use the trident. When Willem and I spoke very early on, we always saw him as an old school samurai warrior, like an Obi Wan Kenobi training Luke Skywalker. That was the influence, and Willem is such a big fan of Toshiro Mifune. He’s modeling himself after Toshiro Mifune in all the classic Kurosawa films. Even down to the way Willem looks in the movie. His hair is pulled back into a bun like a samurai warrior, and his sword’s behind his back."

After watching the trailer about 100 times and comparing to underwater videos and photography, I have to say that the cgi is at least 85%-90% on point. It's a bit difficult to nitpick. Something did seem a bit off at first and then I realized that the movie itself looks a bit too neat and clean. Amber is definitely wearing way too much makeup. She looked better in JL. The only other thing is that the trailer music is putting me off. I really hope the official music is good.

Rupert Gregson-Williams (who composed for Wonder Woman) is also working on this, so I'm hopeful.

Unpopular opinion: I like the costume designer of Aquaman more than Michael Wilkinson

I have to side with those who are slightly underwhelmed with the trailer, unfortunately. It just seemed to be edited strangely, it's way too busy (and showed way too much for a first trailer), the dialogue is cheesy, the CGI whilst impressive in scope definitely has a strong feel of 'flatness' (for lack of a better term), and the music choice was poor.

However, they have plenty of time to work on the CGI and an underwhelming trailer doesn't always equate to an underwhelming film (WW proved that) so I'm definitely still more than willing to give this movie a chance. Roll on trailer #2. :cwink:

Also:

ap,550x550,12x16,1,transparent,t.u1.png

:woot:

I don't people's 'quibbles' with the plot, it's just the origin story from the source material played out in film format, how can people have a 'issue' with it, if people have, then people must have a problem per say with Aquaman.

This isn't against you personally, its just I've noticed many posts indicating this and it' a genuine ??? to me why folks are saying 'issue with the plot' when it's a story known for years.

I am worried about the plot, I worried because I didn't like the particular source material this is working from.
This film seems to be based almost exlusively on Johns New 52 Aquaman run, which I am not a fan of.

I don't have a problem with Aquaman as a character, just one particular story from the comics

I’m sad more people aren’t loving the trailer.

If I was as paranoid as other people online I would think there really is an anti DC bias. Obviously people can dislike it, I’m just surprised so many people aren’t as pumped as I am

Funny how he picked WW out of all movies to slander me. lol I remember loving the trailer and calling out the trolls. Gal accent was never a problem for me either, maybe cause i'm not a gringo idk. So i dont know what's he talking about.
Reminder than MOS is still probably my favorite DCEU movie, and i was stanning BVS back then.

Just beacuse i was right about JL (i mean the trailers were obviously bad, and i believed 100% in ViewerAnon review) this don't make me a hater. Mr dhandler01

Now I think that if you don't like something and you've made your point clear, you don't need to come to say the same thing over and over again, to ruin other people's joy (particularly the obvious trolls/haters),
and that's all
mRq5drP.gif

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that knowing something isn't real is what causes people to say CGI is bad these days.

People don’t know what the **** they’re talking about but that won’t stop them.

The shades here lol. You don't need to be an expert in VFX or know about cgi or whatever. Get off your high horses people, these movies are directed to us, the GP (general public). And just cause aynone is not an expert on such a subjects, doesn't mean that you cant formulate an opinion based on what you see, especially something as common as a movie.
If a movie looks bad, well looks bad and people will notice it.

You don't need to be a singer to judge wether someone is good at singing. You dont need to be a professor to judge wether your teacher is bad at teaching, etc.

Anyways, if the script is really good the movie will be fine. Isn't this what the critics have hated the most? idk anymore

Last edited:
I don't have any issues. But I can see where the complaints are coming from, it's the under-water effects they have done, that is making the under water cinematography slightly blurry, to emphasize that this is an under-water world, is making people complain Bad CGI.

No. No, it's not. JL did the same thing (shooting dry for wet), but managed to make it at least plausible that the scenes are taking place underwater. Other moves have also been able to handle water effects quite well. With Aquaman, there's no doubt that it was shot on stage with actors behaving normally, with some ripples and bubbles slapped over the picture to create a very poor illusion of water. There's a special quality that skin and hair have when seen through water, and that element is clearly missing in the trailer footage.

And again, it's not just the VFX itself that's the problem (at least for me), but the fact that the Atlanteans are speaking underwater as if they were on land. Sound (not to mention mouths and lungs) don't work that way underwater. Yes, Atlanteans can breathe just fine down there, but that doesn't change the physical way sound travels. I could almost buy it if they have some Star Trek-like tech that achieves it, but it still would seem a little too hand wavy, and completely takes me out of the scene when I'm watching it.

It's like Aquaman surfing the parademon from JL. Gravity and physics doesn't work that way. I can buy superheroes flying because they still have operate by their own in-universe rules. There's nothing in Aquaman's power set that magnetizes him to enemies, and it didn't look like he was exerting any force to glue himself to the parademon.

Not sure if this was simply a misunderstanding on your part or an intentional straw man.

I’m sad more people aren’t loving the trailer.

If I was as paranoid as other people online I would think there really is an anti DC bias. Obviously people can dislike it, I’m just surprised so many people aren’t as pumped as I am

It's not that bad. Not liking one trailer doesn't mean they won't like the movie. From what I'm seeing on social media, most people do like the trailer and it made them more interested.

That's exactly the kind of shot I'm talking about. It looks awful. Because it's not just how skin/hair/lighting looks underwater, but weight and gravity, too. Things don't stay glued to the ground like on land, they float. Have you ever tried standing on the bottom of a pool without something weighing you down? It doesn't work.

I loved it when it was just a few of us posting in this forum. Felt like a nice, friendly community. The usual knobs are around now with the dumbest comments imaginable. Complaining about storyline straight from the source material or incomplete CGI from a movie that still has 5 months of CGI polish to go. I'm out. Can't handle such stupidity.

I remember people saying that about GL, or any film that had bad VFX in the trailers. 90% of the time what's shown in the trailers is final. Especially a massive VFX heavy film like Aquaman. This isn't simple signage change like GitS or BR2049, or JL changing the hue of the third act from blue to red. The kind of problems this film has would involve huge amounts of footage to be redone, likely costing tens of millions of dollars.

Last edited:
That's exactly the kind of shot I'm talking about. It looks awful. Because it's not just how skin/hair/lighting looks underwater, but weight and gravity, too. Things don't stay glued to the ground like on land, they float. Have you ever tried standing on the bottom of a pool without something weighing you down? It doesn't work.

lol what don't you understand about them being Atlanteans? You know that you float because of air inside you right? Fill yourself up with water and you will sink too. Gravity still exists in water. You aren't making sense!

-_-

Wait, a magic spell sunk them and made them interact with water this way. What you're complaining about is similar to complaining about the way Aquaman moves through water like a rocket.

I've never seen a person swim that way.

It's almost as if Atlanteans relationship with water differs from humans.

You talk about lighting not working that way underwater but there is no natural light at that depth so the filmakers were kind enough to just light the scenes anyway so that we can actually see the movie. I appreciate it.

Solid trailer, Black Manta looks incredible and very close to the comics, it'll be interesting when the second trailer drops, I assume it'll be with Fantastic Beasts

lol what don't you understand about them being Atlanteans? You know that you float because of air inside you right? Fill yourself up with water and you will sink too. Gravity still exists in water. You aren't making sense!

Humans also float because they have a relative density of 0.98 compared to water. Oxygen in the body certainly makes a difference, but a body would still float regardless. Besides, Atlanteans still breathe oxygen, right? It's just filtered differently.

But let's just say Atlanteans have denser bodies than humans. To me, after watching people my entire life and how they interact with water, it just looks unnatural and goofy. I never warmed to how Snyder depicted Superman flying, either. There are plenty of shots that look awkward, or are obviously wire work.

Maybe Aquaman as a concept is too silly to work in live action, at least imo. I had the same problem with Green Lantern; using thoughts to create huge green objects with your mind might work on paper, but it doesn't exactly translate to the real world.

I've been concerned about this film since it was announced. I don't mind Momoa in the role, but I've never liked any of James Wan's past work, and many of the changes of design compared to JL (the costumes, Mera's hair, RGW composing) are inferior.

Last edited:
I loved it when it was just a few of us posting in this forum. Felt like a nice, friendly community. The usual knobs are around now with the dumbest comments imaginable. Complaining about storyline straight from the source material or incomplete CGI from a movie that still has 5 months of CGI polish to go. I'm out. Can't handle such stupidity.

God forbid people only post when there’s something new to talk about like a trailer. Didn’t realize these boards were a private club where only groupthink is allowed.

Humans also float because they have a relative density of 0.98 compared to water. Oxygen in the body certainly makes a difference, but a body would still float regardless. Besides, Atlanteans still breathe oxygen, right? It's just filtered differently.

That's not what reality and science says. Bodies don't float regardless. Dead bodies sink without air in lungs. Oxygen doesn't make everything float. It's about buoyancy. Fish have a swim bladder to control their density. THEY CAN CONTROL SINKING AND FLOATING. It's not that hard to imagine Atlanteans doing something similar. They can choose to sink. Everything doesn't just float in the ocean.

I guess they just prefer to live in an echo chamber where no dissenting opinion can dare exist. That just goes to show their own insecurity in the product as they need everyone to tell them how flawless it is no matter what in order to feel good.

Exactly. This level of insecurity wouldn't exist if DC had 20/20 good films instead of 1/5.

Last edited:
I too wonder about the underwater physics of this SCI-FI FANTASY movie :loco:

Last edited:
That's not what reality and science says. Bodies don't float regardless. Dead bodies sink without air in lungs. Oxygen doesn't make everything float. It's about buoyancy. Fish have a swim bladder to control their density. THEY CAN CONTROL SINKING AND FLOATING. It's not that hard to imagine Atlanteans doing something similar. They can choose to sink. Everything doesn't just float in the ocean.

I didn't mean that a human body would never sink, just that after death it takes a certain amount of time. Even fish, who sink when dead, float after awhile due to bacteria and chemical build up.

And just because an Atlantean might be able to control it, being in water still wouldn't be comparable to land. Loose objects like clothing would float, their hair would fan out around them, any changes in the current or water pressure (like hundreds of people simultaneously raising their arms and shouting) would push them around. At the very least it would create some kind of wavefront.

Last edited:
I didn't mean that a human body would never sink, just that after death it takes a certain amount of time. Even fish, who sink when dead, float after awhile due to bacteria and chemical build up.

And just because an Atlantean might be able to control it, being in water still wouldn't be comparable to land. Loose objects like clothing would float, their hair would fan out around them, any changes in the current or water pressure (like hundreds of people simultaneously raising their arms and shouting) would push them around. At the very least it would create some kind of wavefront.

this COMICBOOK SUPERHERO movie isn't trying to catch realism if ya hadn't noticed :oldrazz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"