The All New and Improved Batman Reboot Casting Thread

Merchant's tall and lanky frame (and rural accent :cwink:) would be better utilised for the Scarecrow

I don’t like when other superheroes have love interests who are reporters. Don’t hone in on Lois Lane’s turf!

I feel like "reporter" is overused as a superhero love interest role because. . . well, okay, its mostly "Because Lois Lane". However, beyond that, it is a profession that lets you have a love interest whose professional life is just as much "about" the superhero as their romantic life. After all, in any superhero story, the Dashing Reporter is almost certainly going to be reporting. . . first and foremost, about the superhero. Basically, its an aversion to granting secondary characters, *especially* romantic partners, any interests or goals or activities outside of the hero.

( Ironically, Lois Lane is actually better about this than most, because while she does often report about Superman, she usually gets some emphasis on her investigating and reporting on *other things*, with the Superman element sometimes solely being "Lois Lane found out villainous plot, Superman rescues her". For her, reporting actually *is* allowed to go beyond just being Superman's publicist. )

Merchant's WAAAAAAAAY too tall for Mad Hatter.

I feel like "reporter" is overused as a superhero love interest role because. . . well, okay, its mostly "Because Lois Lane". However, beyond that, it is a profession that lets you have a love interest whose professional life is just as much "about" the superhero as their romantic life. After all, in any superhero story, the Dashing Reporter is almost certainly going to be reporting. . . first and foremost, about the superhero. Basically, its an aversion to granting secondary characters, *especially* romantic partners, any interests or goals or activities outside of the hero.

( Ironically, Lois Lane is actually better about this than most, because while she does often report about Superman, she usually gets some emphasis on her investigating and reporting on *other things*, with the Superman element sometimes solely being "Lois Lane found out villainous plot, Superman rescues her". For her, reporting actually *is* allowed to go beyond just being Superman's publicist. )
Eh, I feel it actually has more to do with the fact that it's a lot easier to incorporate a reporter into a superhero story than any other profession.

Also, aside from TV shows, we haven't really seen that many love interest reporters in superhero movies. I'd be fine with seeing one for Bruce in the next film, especially since he's a detective, there's shared interests in that.

They could actually modernize the Animated Series Scarecrow. Just give him a plaid red jacket, a tattered hoodie underneath, dirty khaki overalls, and a mask similar to the Arkham games.
latest
I'm not really sure about a hoodie for Scarecrow. It kinda sounds too...... thuggish? It could probably work though. The plaid jacket and overalls would be interesting, like an actual scarecrow. I think he has so much potential in live-action; I feel like they've just scratched the surface with the fear toxin visuals.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure about a hoodie for Scarecrow. It kinda sounds too...... thuggish? It could probably work though. The plaid jacket and overalls would be interesting, like an actual scarecrow. I think he has so much potential in live-action; I feel like they've just scratched the surface with the fear toxin visuals.

Thuggish? Really Andy? Literally no one thought that of him in the Arkham games.

1ABB82B4-42F9-4B6A-A26F-D1093CD86359.jpeg

Thuggish? Really Andy? Literally no one thought that of him in the Arkham games.

View attachment 37526
That's not really a hoodie but I knew what you were going for the whole time nonetheless. I looked up the hoodie+overalls combination and tried to visualize the plaid red jacket over that, and it sounds interesting. I'd kinda prefer the hat since we haven't seen it in a movie yet, but I like it.

Admittedly, the first time I read your idea I just kinda skimmed through it because I was late for one of my class meetings. I just saw "hoodie" and "plaid jacket" and those two stuck out to me. But I like it much more now that I've visualized it.

Last edited:
Brad Pitt - Hugo Strange, thank you, goodbye.

I'm not so sure about that. I find Harris generally underwhelming or flat out bad in genre stuff. His Moriarty was average at best and (to my astonishment) I found him to be the weak link in Carnival Row. In the latter, he came off like he wasn't taking the material seriously. I feel like he's better when he stays away from fantastical stuff.

I like Guy Pearce for Hugo Strange. Or Jeremiah Arkham. I don't think a film universe/trilogy could support having both characters there--it seem's redundant, unless the succession from character to character is part of the story. I like using the Arkham name more because 1. no confusion with Marvel's Dr. Strange 2. further exploration of Gotham past / connection to the Wayne family.

imagev121f16ac9fe3fb25593cb2583b9072f0d-mulo69u2jhrowkrmjq2_t1880.jpg

What about some of the other villains we haven't seen in a longer time, or never before?

Mr. Freeze: Lance Reddick, 57
205447-1559989388.jpg

Mad Hatter: Stephen Merchant, 45
p07y9pxn.jpg

Scarecrow: Domhnall Gleeson, 37
image.jpg

Ventriloquist: Jonah Hill, 36
GettyImages-1097034632-e1554396186646-640x360.jpg

Dr. Kirk Langstrom: Billy Crudup, 52
Billy-Crudup-AP.jpg

Clayface (Basil Karlo): Jake Johnson, 42
a83a034b403d54b1-600x338.jpg

I do actually like a Johnson as Clayface, but Reddick is MMH.

I wish Peter Sarsgard was playing Strange. I find him incredibly unsettling. Jared Harris, Giancarlo Esposito, Claus Bang, and Guy Pearce would all be great. The latter was creepy AF in Brimstone.

I can also imagine Ethan Hawke as Strange. I think it could work.

I wish Peter Sarsgard was playing Strange. I find him incredibly unsettling. Jared Harris, Giancarlo Esposito, Claus Bang, and Guy Pearce would all be great. The latter was creepy AF in Brimstone.

I can also imagine Ethan Hawke as Strange. I think it could work.

I like Harris for Strange a lot and Hawke could be an interesting Scarecrow or a surefire Langstrom.

Lincoln March

How old? And let’s hear some casting picks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"