The Amazing Spider-Man: The Game - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I know that part. It's story based and happens at the VERY end. Even then, it's purely just a part of the linear story, it doesn't effect the open world (except when you can 'select' it as a time of day after finishing the game).

But before that point, all you have is a fake twitter feed to contribute to the sense of drama and panic. When you create an exciting backdrop like that, why the hell would Spidey be hanging out with Bruce Campbell in a blimp? Or doing the SAME car chase mission.

To be honest, I think all the main side missions should have been ambient, totally ambient, and there should have been either at least twice as many missions like the Bank Robbery OR those missions should have continued and had multiple steps to it.

That's not a deal breaker, the games still fun, but it would have been the difference between saying 'Hey, this is a great Spidey game' and simply 'Hey, this is a great GAME, full stop'.

Yea the side missions should of been completely organic, and more diverse. There should of been 2 or 3 diff ways to stop a getaway car, other than just webbing the windshield. This game could of used a UGC system the likes of inFamous 2

Yea id agree with that, but can you name one open world superhero title that didn't feel like that? I can only think of one, being the inFamous series. Previous SM titles were just as stale
Arkham City. Ive seen lots of comments comparing the two games and how they should take more cues from that game, well this is one area where they could. Just finished playing a bit of AC and realized and remembered that they did a great job of making a very vibrant and populated world that I never felt was stale or lacking. From the police radar you can hack into, the criminals having random conversations about things that have happened as well as reacting and getting scared when they suspect Bats might be in the area, to the various side missions which were integrated well and not detached from the prison, it all added to this. And of course there's plenty of minor touches within the buildings with the riddles and references to Batman lore throughout AC which add to the personality and life of what was created. Spidey's world does seem rather bland in comparison. Before people start making excuses for why Spidey games dont, I think one needs to take a step back and realize its possible bc it already has been done

I doubt it. ASM2 comes out in 2 years and Beenox will most likely be doing a movie tie in for that. If they do get one next year, it could be their smaller team that worked on EoT while the main guys are working on ASM2. Not sure how people would feel about that
Something to be expected and a game to be ignored

I just posted this in another thread but might as well have it here too:

One of the main things I want to be much improved on next time is for the supervillains and bosses to be much more towering and fearsome. The cross-species in ASM were too small and looked not threatening and cinematic enough.

A great example of a boss fight done totally right in what I'm pointing at is the Anti-Venom fight in EoT. No matter how flawed that game might be, that boss fight is an example of how I want my boss fights to feel like.

Rhino should be bigger and more devastating. Scorpion should be bigger as well. I felt this same kind of problem with many fights in Shattered Dimensions, Spider-Man 2 etc. It is in occasions like this that the Arkham games e.g. takes good use of the unrealistic but stylish look. The villains (and characters overall) look much more special and interesting.

I want the villains to have some kind of controlled, self-secure presence that makes Spidey look like the underdog. It's just something with the movement and animations of the non-robot bosses in ASM that makes them feel dull, non-cinematic and amateurish. For example, almost everyone of them can suddenly move away in lightning speed, but it doesn't even look like they're using their legs but just gets put there. It's very hard to explain, but they should move much more realistic as Spidey does. Also, there should be lots of dialogue.

Another example of how bosses feel more towering and not so small and insignificant is the old Spider-Man games for PS1.

Due to this, I've actually started to think that maybe a Spider-Man game that tries to have realistic looking style to everything isn't the way to go. And no, I don't want cell shaded graphics, but I think it'd be cool to have a style that's a little exaggerative and fancy but still not cartoonish, much like the Arkham games but with Spidey's own touch.

Due to this, I've actually started to think that maybe a Spider-Man game that tries to have realistic looking style to everything isn't the way to go. And no, I don't want cell shaded graphics, but I think it'd be cool to have a style that's a little exaggerative and fancy but still not cartoonish, much like the Arkham games but with Spidey's own touch.
Its why I loved the art styles found in SD and EoT. I thought those games had good character models and visually stylistic world

Its why I loved the art styles found in SD and EoT. I thought those games had good character models and visually stylistic world

I didn't really like the style in SD because even there villains in human form felt too small and unsignificant. Also, it looked too cartoonish many times for me and I'm not a fan of cell shade graphics.

Edge of Time is actually a very good example of having a cool stylistic look that works for Spidey. I loved how Anti-Venom, Sloan and the Spider-Men looked.

I didn't really like the style in SD because even there villains in human form felt too small and unsignificant. Also, it looked too cartoonish many times for me and I'm not a fan of cell shade graphics.

Edge of Time is actually a very good example of having a cool stylistic look that works for Spidey. I loved how Anti-Venom, Sloan and the Spider-Men looked.
Well SD had 4 (well 3 if you consider Ultimate and Amazing similar) styles.

Well SD had 4 (well 3 if you consider Ultimate and Amazing similar) styles.

Yeah and the only one I really liked was the Noir one. That style would work very well too when it comes to character models and looks (but with colors and a present time look of course)

Yeah and the only one I really liked was the Noir one. That style would work very well too when it comes to character models and looks (but with colors and a present time look of course)
Not even 2099 bc that was what was used for EoT, which you seem to like

I actually LOVED how Spidey and the world looked in the 616 portion of SD, I just hated the facial design for a lot of characters like the henchmen and Kraven etc. If they had that but based on an established Marvel artist or something, I'd definitely be down for that, in the 616 universe. I'm with what Pat has wanted for ages too, give us the Sinister 6, give us the best and bad villains, in a living, breathing 616 world. Random, small time villain encounters, the odd team up with NY ONLY based heroes (DD etc) and my PERSONAL, wish list... I've always wanted a set of missions where Punisher is trying to take someone out, maybe even Kingpin, and Spidey is tracking him down to run interference. It could be so damn cool and original since Spidey is just trying to stop Punisher rather than take him out and Punisher would have to be using non-lethals only.

Not even 2099 bc that was what was used for EoT, which you seem to like

Hmm, to me they don't really look the same. They look alot the same but EoT still looks more stylish and cinematic. And I don't like everything when it comes to visuals in EoT either. Human goons look too small there as well and some environments are boring.

What I mean when it comes to visual style and boss fights I want this:

[YT]JkS0vpm-0ps[/YT]

The graphics and visual style are just perfect there to me. The boss fight itself is perfect too. It feels cinematic, exciting, brutal and epic! The camera angle is perfect as well (closer to the ground). This is how I want a Spider-Man game to feel like throughout, with every boss battle as epic as this.

I actually LOVED how Spidey and the world looked in the 616 portion of SD, I just hated the facial design for a lot of characters like the henchmen and Kraven etc. If they had that but based on an established Marvel artist or something, I'd definitely be down for that, in the 616 universe. I'm with what Pat has wanted for ages too, give us the Sinister 6, give us the best and bad villains, in a living, breathing 616 world. Random, small time villain encounters, the odd team up with NY ONLY based heroes (DD etc) and my PERSONAL, wish list... I've always wanted a set of missions where Punisher is trying to take someone out, maybe even Kingpin, and Spidey is tracking him down to run interference. It could be so damn cool and original since Spidey is just trying to stop Punisher rather than take him out and Punisher would have to be using non-lethals only.

Yeah Kraven looked really bad to me! I'm not a fan of cell shaded graphics, but I liked how NY looked in the 616 tutorial and maybe a game looking like that could be really cool afterall.

Sinister 6 would be awesome! :up: And I really like your idea with Punisher.

EDIT: About Sinister 6. I actually posted some ideas of having an epic boss fight where you fight two supervillains at once where they use their team work to their advantage but where you at the same time can use them against themselves. It would be epic to have e.g. Sandman and Vulture team up in a battle against Spidey.

Prior to this gen I thought Ultimate Spiderman was the best looking game. The art style literally looked ripped from the comics and the cel shading worked effectively

I think too many of the problems Spidey faces are purely physical and not moral. That's such a large part of the character, him being challenged morally and being given the chance to be the hero and show that 'with great power, bla bla bla'. A character like Punisher could really bring that out of him.

Anyone else sick of cross-species? I felt it was all a bit one note for story and villains. I'll be glad if I never have to see another one. I think they mishandled villains like Scorpion and Rhino by reducing them to near mute brainless monsters (I also hated Scorpion's design).

I think if they are going to tackle more of Spidey's villains (and possibly in another movie game or DLC) then they should stick closer to the source material.

Anyone else sick of cross-species? I felt it was all a bit one note for story and villains. I'll be glad if I never have to see another one. I think they mishandled villains like Scorpion and Rhino by reducing them to near mute brainless monsters (I also hated Scorpion's design).

I think if they are going to tackle more of Spidey's villains (and possibly in another movie game or DLC) then they should stick closer to the source material.

I completely agree to 110%! I've stated my concerns about that before too. I hated how they mistreated Scorpion. As I've said, Scorpion could be a human in a suit just like the comics and that would still fit perfectly in the story and setting of the game (make Smythe create him as a human Spider Slayer that's got only Spider-Man as target to kill).

I think too many of the problems Spidey faces are purely physical and not moral. That's such a large part of the character, him being challenged morally and being given the chance to be the hero and show that 'with great power, bla bla bla'. A character like Punisher could really bring that out of him.
It would be interesting if they did incorporate morality into a Spidey game. Not blatant good vs evil like in Infamous 2 but maybe some more ambigious decisions like in Infamous 1 and in the movies. Like do you go to save a bus full of kids or stop the villian which effectively stops him from hurting more people in the future. Having consequences from his decisions affect missions and sidequest could be an interesting concept if done right, but unfortunately this type of thing rarely is

But they did stick close to the source material; source material here being the film, not the comics since this isnt a game based on the books They took the basic premise behind the movie and expanded upon it here so that we had something original which wasnt merely a retread of the film. I appreciate what they did, but yeah Im not a fan of the whole cross species concept. I guess it makes more sense and is less silly than grown men donning suits and naming themselves after animals, which I think fits within the movieverse

I don't know about that whole morality thing. It's cool in a game like inFamous where the protagonist doesn't have any large history like Spidey. But with Spider-Man, we know him so well that with many possibilities of choices it could easily feel "non-Spidey".

What I mean is that if the villain tries to escape and at the same time there's a bus full of kids that only Spider-Man can save, Spider-Man would always chose to save the kids. That is a fact that many of his villains use to their advantage. Having the ability to chase the villain instead would instantly feel not like Spider-Man at all and making you feel like him is more important than to have choices IMO.

I think the whole choice thing is very overrated when it comes to games. I'd much rather have a precise and great story.

But they did stick close to the source material; source material here being the film, not the comics since this isnt a game based on the books They took the basic premise behind the movie and expanded upon it here so that we had something original which wasnt merely a retread of the film. I appreciate what they did, but yeah Im not a fan of the whole cross species concept. I guess it makes more sense and is less silly than grown men donning suits and naming themselves after animals, which I think fits within the movieverse

It didn't feel like it stuck that close to the film material to me either.

I don't know about that whole morality thing. It's cool in a game like inFamous where the protagonist doesn't have any large history like Spidey. But with Spider-Man, we know him so well that with many possibilities of choices it could easily feel "non-Spidey".

What I mean is that if the villain tries to escape and at the same time there's a bus full of kids that only Spider-Man can save, Spider-Man would always chose to save the kids. That is a fact that many of his villains use to their advantage. Having the ability to chase the villain instead would instantly feel not like Spider-Man at all and making you feel like him is more important than to have choices IMO.

I think the whole choice thing is very overrated when it comes to games. I'd much rather have a precise and great story.
That was just an example. Like in the first movie, he had a choice between a bus of kids or MJ. In Infamous 1, Cole had a choice between saving his gf, Trish or doctors (who could help and save many lives). Both scenarios are ambigious choices which dont lend themselves to a good vs evil situation. I think something more along the lines of that. But he could still save the day for both, but it would make it that much harder to get to the second person(s) and there's the possibility he could fail

It didn't feel like it stuck that close to the film material to me either.
well Rhino, Scorpion, etc... werent in the movie so they had alot of creative freedom to go whichever route they wanted to with them. The whole cross species concept however was and it was based off that. Felt like a natural take going off the movie's plot

well Rhino, Scorpion, etc... werent in the movie so they had alot of creative freedom to go whichever route they wanted to with them. The whole cross species concept however was and it was based off that. Felt like a natural take going off the movie's plot

That's what I meant when I said I didn't feel it was faithful. I disagree that it's a natural take from the movie's plot. To me it felt a needless escalation of the sci-fi aspects to an absurd degree. I didn't feel the movie established a lot of what cross-species could do (and it certianly didn't give an indication that it was in the range the game felt it was) and I feel that the game simply threw in animal themed villains with the idea that they could do anything they wanted with the cross-species banner.

He should just let Punisher shoot Kinpin while eating an apple or chewing hot dogs, and aid Punisher if Kingpin was too much trouble
That would be awesome, pretty out of character, but better than staying as a "bleeding heart hero", I agree with Frank's methods against irredeemable foes

EDIT: I really hate lagging and unintended double posts :argh:

Ah! I finally got the game (I'm late, I know).
I'm gonna watch the movie later today then play the game.

Arkham City. Ive seen lots of comments comparing the two games and how they should take more cues from that game, well this is one area where they could. Just finished playing a bit of AC and realized and remembered that they did a great job of making a very vibrant and populated world that I never felt was stale or lacking. From the police radar you can hack into, the criminals having random conversations about things that have happened as well as reacting and getting scared when they suspect Bats might be in the area, to the various side missions which were integrated well and not detached from the prison, it all added to this. And of course there's plenty of minor touches within the buildings with the riddles and references to Batman lore throughout AC which add to the personality and life of what was created. Spidey's world does seem rather bland in comparison. Before people start making excuses for why Spidey games dont, I think one needs to take a step back and realize its possible bc it already has been done

I totally agree that Spidey's world needs to be far more lively, and earlier offered ideas to help this (in this or the other thread, can't remember).

One thing to take into account in terms of AC, however is it's size. It is MUCH smaller than ASM's world, and therefor more can be done. Beenox can put just as much effort into ASM2 as there was for AC, but it would still feel sparse in comparison just due to the size of the environment alone. We are forced to ask ourselves: do we want a large, yet mostly bland city to swing through, or a considerably smaller, more vibrant world? And remember, there are people already complaining about ASM being too small...

Personally, I think there is an Option C, though it would never happen for a movie game.

Does anyone remember the Judas Traveler story from the Clone Saga (I know, I know) where Judas claims that Spider-Man will destroy NYC? He proves this by sending Spider-Man 24hrs into the future to see the destruction. (the end of the story shows that it's actually Judas whose irresponsible use of his powers creates the destruction, and Spidey has to stop him).

Having a game take place in this alternate world where Spidey must figure out how to reverse/stop Judas' Armageddon would be awesome, and solve a lot of aforementioned issues. How many times will we swing through the same NYC in a Spidey game. It got old after 3 games already. Imagine swinging through a NYC in total destruction. Fires and crumbled buildings, skeletons of skyscrapers, etc...THAT would be a sight to behold. The city could be smaller, since it's destroyed, but it would still be big enough to have fun with simply because its a new take on the city. I think a story like this would give us the best of both worlds - a big (yet mostly empty) destroyed world ripe for swinging and exploration, but with pockets of immersive areas and detailed characters/survivors that AC is known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"