The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man: Tie it in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It just seemed like you do, because you said, "If we are to talk about not being perfect like the comics, do you really want to bring the idea of perfection in a thread for The Amazing Spider-Man?"

Only after Picard decided to name everything not-so perfect with the MCU films.

Also, you said there is nothing wrong with adapting something when talking about MCU films, when certain people (not including you this time) talk about how unfaithful TASM is with this skating Peter.

Giving Peter a skateboard isn't really an adaption, because I rarely even see kids with skateboards in 2012.

Depends on where you live though. This year I've only seen one kid on a skateboard, but I don't live in New York.

I still don't think the MCU films are as "perfect" as people make them out to be, and not as accurate as fans claim them to be. Thor didn't have his human counter-part Donald Blake, Tony Stark got drunk ONCE when he is supposed to be an alcoholic, Jarvis is AI and not a human being, Pepper Pots and Happy Hogan are portrayed differently, Abomination looks very different from the comic books, the costumes are different for SHIELD, etc.

Honestly, other than Iron Man 1 and the Avengers, the rest were kind of "meh." The Amazing Spider-Man IMO was better than most of the solo films.

Truer words never spoke before
If Marvel makes a Spider-man movie,there is more chance of it being mediocre and servicable or a 2 hour trailer like Thor or CapAm rather than as good as IM1 or TA

There's nothing wrong with adapting something and making it work such as Jarvis being an AI, or Thor not having a human counter-part with there being no reason(especially with the updated career for Jane Foster), Tony Stark only getting drunk once when it was said we'll never get a story of Iron Man being a real alcoholic, Abomination looking different in a 'real' setting of his creation, and blah, blah, blah.

If we are to talk about not being perfect like the comics, do you really want to bring the idea of perfection in a thread for The Amazing Spider-Man?

Plus, while Iron Man and The Avengers are really the only, imo, 9 out of 10 films in the MCU, Captain America and Thor are still 8 out of 10 with Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk being 7 out of 10.....still, and once again imo, better than my 6/10 rating for TAS-M.

Im very surprised you rate Thor and CapAm over TAS-M

^I think what he is trying to say is that people (including yourself apparently) give a pass to all the MCU films when they make updates and changes to the source material but if Peter Parker owns one skateboard, then everybody loses their minds:hoboj:

Thank you. Same with the Nolan films. I love TDK trilogy, but we all know there are multiple changes from the comic books, even going back to character origins, but if a Spider-Man film is any different, there is outrage!

Giving Peter a skateboard isn't really an adaption, because I rarely even see kids with skateboards in 2012.

At my college in NY, a large number of students have skateboards. Maybe where you are its rare, but its pretty big in NYC.

If Marvel makes a Spider-man movie,there is more chance of it being mediocre and servicable or a 2 hour trailer like Thor or CapAm rather than as good as IM1 or TA. Im very surprised you rate Thor and CapAm over TAS-M
Thank you, once again. :up:
Captain America was okay, but nothing great. People want to complain about TASM's marketing flaws, but what about this film? Most of the action scenes looked pretty darn epic in the trailer, but it turns out it was part of this montage of action sequences. I really was expecting an awesome battle when he barges through the doors of that warehouse shooting his way in.
Thor was another one I didn't care for. I felt that both Cap and Thor were 2 hour trailers for the Avengers... why not add Iron Man 2 to the list as well?

Now, I would certainly rate them higher than Spider-Man 3, but that's not saying much.

Depends on where you live though. This year I've only seen one kid on a skateboard, but I don't live in New York.

I've been to NYC a few times and it seems very rare to spot anyone with a skateboard. Maybe that's the reason Peter is the only one who has a skateboard in the film :funny:

But, I do find this similar to the pilot of Smallville. They tried to give Clark a skateboard, but that episode is the only episode you see of Clark's infamous skateboard. I'd bet a dollar we don't see the board in the sequel.

If Marvel makes a Spider-man movie,there is more chance of it being mediocre and servicable or a 2 hour trailer like Thor or CapAm rather than as good as IM1 or TA

Truer words have been spoken when reading this post, lol.

In no way did Thor or Captain America ever feel like a "two hour trailer". Iron Man 2? Yes, because it was crammed into to help out other films, such as Thor, but the two films you speak of were fine and did not feel like they were crammed in by anything to build up into the Avengers. IM 2 has been the only film to do that.

Im very surprised you rate Thor and CapAm over TAS-M

Surprised? As much as I talk about what I didn't like about TAS-M, you're surprised I ranked it lower than two films that were actually great? Lol.

Thank you. Same with the Nolan films. I love TDK trilogy, but we all know there are multiple changes from the comic books, even going back to character origins, but if a Spider-Man film is any different, there is outrage!

You have me confused over someone who lists off things that are not exactly like the comics. I am aware of TAS-M's changes, but still, I did not like the film. This is like saying we should like any CBM that decides to gives its characters a different change or we should appreciate every adaptation in a CBM.

Thank you, once again. :up:
Captain America was okay, but nothing great. People want to complain about TASM's marketing flaws, but what about this film? Most of the action scenes looked pretty darn epic in the trailer, but it turns out it was part of this montage of action sequences. I really was expecting an awesome battle when he barges through the doors of that warehouse shooting his way in.

Ehhh, I hear some expected more in TDKR with the criminals trashing Gotham besides being used for a montage during Bane's speech, but that and that montage of Captain America just seemed fine to me.

You have me confused over someone who lists off things that are not exactly like the comics. I am aware of TAS-M's changes, but still, I did not like the film. This is like saying we should like any CBM that decides to gives its characters a different change or we should appreciate every adaptation in a CBM.

I can agree with this because I don't even mind when people dislike all things that are different to the source material, just when there are double standards. What annoys me is when people say some movie is bad BECAUSE it is different from the comics, but then applaud the director of some other movie because they provided a fresh spin on the source material. Of course it would be ridiculous to say that everyone needs to like something even though it is different from the comics, you can dislike it and you don't even need to provide reasons for why you dislike it. It's your opinion, and if someone cares so much about what your opinions are, then you might just have a secret admirer. I personally think it is better to say, "I'm not a fan of this adaptation." and not give a reason then to call something bad for the same reason that you think something else is good.

In no way did Thor or Captain America ever feel like a "two hour trailer". Iron Man 2? Yes, because it was crammed into to help out other films, such as Thor, but the two films you speak of were fine and did not feel like they were crammed in by anything to build up into the Avengers. IM 2 has been the only film to do that.
Surprised? As much as I talk about what I didn't like about TAS-M, you're surprised I ranked it lower than two films that were actually great? Lol.

Not great,mediocre at best

Their Action sequences were puke-worthy.The Villians were underdeveloped
Atleast IM2 had good action sequences

Underdeveloped villains? Loki and Red Skull were finely developed, hence why Loki didn't even need any more development in Avengers. And no villain is as underdeveloped as Vanko.

And I definitely disagree with the action scenes as well. That's one thing that has been really stellar with the MCU films, even to the films that weren't that great such as IM2 and Incredible Hulk.

About Iron Patriot in Iron Man 3, Kevin Feige said “It is not Norman Osborne in there, as opposed to the comics. We were inspired by that look and that suit, and again symbolism –what those icons mean.” Maybe I'm looking to into this, but I find it interesting he didn't mention that they can't use Norman.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Thor more than Captain America, Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk. I thought those movies were awful. Especially the villains. Loki was developed well in Thor which is why they didnt need to do much for him in Avengers. Which explains why he was so weak in that movie.

I've been to NYC a few times and it seems very rare to spot anyone with a skateboard. Maybe that's the reason Peter is the only one who has a skateboard in the film :funny:

For the record, I live in the city, and have seen many people skateboard. You have visited "a few times," but I don't think you have really been exposed to it enough to judge that fairly.

Captain America felt like a 2 hour trailer to me, but we are kind of heading into "opinion territory" at this point. You say that Captain America and Thor are "actually great" like you are stating a fact.

Ehhh, I hear some expected more in TDKR with the criminals trashing Gotham besides being used for a montage during Bane's speech, but that and that montage of Captain America just seemed fine to me.

The Captain America montage killed it for me, and that's when the film went downhill IMO. TDKR montage wasn't too bad, but the two montages serve different purposes. In Captain America, it felt like the montage was out of laziness. With TDKR, they can't really show us a full 20-30 minutes of Gotham getting wrecked?

And you are mistaking me for someone who thinks we should like any CBM that makes changes from the source material. My point is that people seem to bash Spider-Man films for changes, but allow for MCU or Nolan's Batman to get away with them.

EDIT:
The "relationship" in the Captain America film was so forced, too. There might as well have been no love interest at all. It was worse than Peter and MJ in Spider-Man 2, at least that's how I felt while watching it. Didn't feel a connection.

Last edited:
Captain America felt like a 2 hour trailer to me, but we are kind of heading into "opinion territory" at this point. You say that Captain America and Thor are "actually great" like you are stating a fact.

Sorry I didn't use 'imo'? :o

Plus, needless to say, Captain America does have ties to Avengers the most so it had to be tied with Avengers, even being called Captain America: The First Avenger. While it did tie into Avengers, it was, in no way, as much of an Avengers trailer Iron Man 2 was.

And you are mistaking me for someone who thinks we should like any CBM that makes changes from the source material. My point is that people seem to bash Spider-Man films for changes, but allow for MCU or Nolan's Batman to get away with them.

Who's brought up TAS-M's changes as their reasons for not liking the film?

EDIT:
The "relationship" in the Captain America film was so forced, too. There might as well have been no love interest at all. It was worse than Peter and MJ in Spider-Man 2, at least that's how I felt while watching it. Didn't feel a connection.

I feel the opposite. Really could say the relationship was forced, but I felt the chemistry was just fine between Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell although I think anyone would have great chemistry with the beautiful Hayley Atwell.

I enjoyed Thor more than Captain America, Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk. I thought those movies were awful. Especially the villains. Loki was developed well in Thor which is why they didnt need to do much for him in Avengers. Which explains why he was so weak in that movie.

If I had to rank the films of the MCU, I'd say...

- The Avengers
- Iron Man
- Thor
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Iron Man 2
- The Incredible Hulk

So, we'd be in agreement with Thor being the best over Captain America, IM2 and TIH.

And you know what's funny? You hear people bashing the fact that Bane "worked for" Talia, but no one complains about Loki working for Thanos in Avengers.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't use 'imo'? :o

Plus, needless to say, Captain America does have ties to Avengers the most so it had to be tied with Avengers, even being called Captain America: The First Avenger. While it did tie into Avengers, it was, in no way, as much of an Avengers trailer Iron Man 2 was.

Iron Man 1 tied into the Avengers, but it was its own film. I even thought that The Incredible Hulk was more of a solid film than IM2, Thor, & Cap. They weren't nearly as bad as IM2 of course, but they still all feel like 2 hour trailers for the Avengers. I don't think Thor or Captain America are really worthy enough to have their own movies. Luckily for them, however, they are part of a cinematic universe, and are pretty darn cool when part of the Avengers. The Hulk is a character that is very hard to sell for a 2 hour film (I mean, a giant CGI monster), though he works a lot more in a television series, despite him looking really stupid by today's standards:

images

However, TIH was reminiscent to the series, which is still considered a success for its time, and is a big part of pop culture even to this day. The movie's opening was a nod to the opening of the series, and even threw in the "Lonely Man" theme song. Although not a great film, it still manages to have some good action scenes (although pretty few), some good casting (Ed Norton, William Hurt, Tim Roth), and feel like its own movie, while still part of the MCU. Bruce Banner was trying to recreate the super soldier serum that made Captain America, but Captain America is never mentioned, and left for viewers to pick up on themselves. Tony stark's cameo was really cool here, as it just gave enough of a hint to "the avengers."

Who's brought up TAS-M's changes as their reasons for not liking the film?
Well, I've always said that I like change if its done well.

I feel the opposite. Really could say the relationship was forced, but I felt the chemistry was just fine between Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell although I think anyone would have great chemistry with the beautiful Hayley Atwell.

So if anyone could have great chemistry with her, I wonder what it would have been like if William Shatner was playing her love interest.

In all seriousness, I don't think there was any chemistry. To me, it felt like she was just there so he could have a love interest in the first place.

If I had to rank the films of the MCU, I'd say...

- The Avengers
- Iron Man
- Thor
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Iron Man 2
- The Incredible Hulk

So, we'd be in agreement with Thor being the best over Captain America, IM2 and TIH.

1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Captain America
5. Thor
6. Iron Man 2

Last edited:
Iron Man 1 tied into the Avengers, but it was its own film. I even thought that The Incredible Hulk was more of a solid film than IM2, Thor, & Cap. They weren't nearly as bad as IM2 of course, but they still all feel like 2 hour trailers for the Avengers. I don't think Thor or Captain America are really worthy enough to have their own movies. Luckily for them, however, they are part of a cinematic universe, and are pretty darn cool when part of the Avengers. The Hulk is a character that is very hard to sell for a 2 hour film (I mean, a giant CGI monster), though he works a lot more in a television series, despite him looking really stupid by today's standards:

images

However, TIH was reminiscent to the series, which is still considered a success for its time, and is a big part of pop culture even to this day. The movie's opening was a nod to the opening of the series, and even threw in the "Lonely Man" theme song. Although not a great film, it still manages to have some good action scenes (although pretty few), some good casting (Ed Norton, William Hurt, Tim Roth), and feel like its own movie, while still part of the MCU. Bruce Banner was trying to recreate the super soldier serum that made Captain America, but Captain America is never mentioned, and left for viewers to pick up on themselves. Tony stark's cameo was really cool here, as it just gave enough of a hint to "the avengers."

No question The Incredible Hulk was its 'own' film, but the same feeling I have with TAS-M in that the deleted scenes really took that film down a notch as well, but I don't see how Thor is a trailer for Avengers. It built up on certain elements that was featured in Avengers, but it had least made sense without certain elements being forced as in Iron Man 2.

And I already said about Captain America. Heck, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s even going to play an important part in The Winter Soldier as well. It's inevitable to use S.H.I.E.L.D. with a Captain America film.

Well, I've always said that I like change if its done well.

Okay, but you're bringing up people are saying changes is why TAS-M isn't a good film, but who's been saying that besides what you're assuming?

So if anyone could have great chemistry with her, I wonder what it would have been like if William Shatner was playing her love interest.

In all seriousness, I don't think there was any chemistry. To me, it felt like she was just there so he could have a love interest in the first place.

William Shatner would be a fantastic Captain America. And he's a fantastic leader as is, so the Avengers would only be a more of a top-notch team with the Shat as Captain America(sarcasm).

Well, once again I'll just say we are in disagreement, lol. I thought the chemistry was great and that final line by Rogers about missing something was a very heartbreaking moment to end the film.

He has his flaws,which every teenager should have
Tobey's Peter and the one in the comics were almost flawless,maybe thats why you feel that way

Peter in the comics is by no means flawless. He is the exact opposite of flawless and has his "typical Parker luck" attached to him, which is what makes Spider-Man one of the most relatable superheroes of all time, if not the most relatable. Peter is just your average awkward guy struggling with relationships, a job, and bills to pay that tries his best to do what is right even though it may not always work out. He is not the ideal superhero like how Superman and Batman are but that is part of what makes him such a great character.

Lets see:

Tobey's Peter/Spider-man
-Financially down
-Works at Daily Bugle
-More of a nerd(imo)
-More mature
-More of a Photographer
-Has a better relationship with his Uncle and Aunt

I myself prefer Webb's Spidey/Peter myself but I think the difference is not that much

I can argue against those points:
-Financially down
Peter in the Webb franchise is still a high school student. Obviously you won't see him struggle financially until he moves out of the house and goes to university, which will probably happen in TASM 2 or TASM 3. But once he gets there, you'll see him financially down just as much as you saw Tobey's Peter be financially down or even more.

-Works at Daily Bugle
-More of a Photographer
They didn't ignore the Bugle. They're setting it up and foreshadowing it. They already set up the idea that Peter is a freelance photographer and we've seen DB newspapers all throughout the first film. He'll definitely get a job at the Bugle at some point, possibly in TASM 2.

-Has a better relationship with his Uncle and Aunt
They both have a good relationships with their uncle and aunt but Andrew's Peter's relationship with them is more realistic and more like the relationship in the comics. Peter was never a golden angel that never did anything wrong in the comics to begin with (like how many people assume) but at the same time, he wasn't a bad kid either. TASM got that perfectly. Plus, I like how TASM helped you get to know Uncle Ben more before killing him off. In SM1, you don't feel as sorry for Ben's death because you don't know him as well. All you know is that he is important to Peter and that's the main reason you have to feel bad for the tragedy.

-More of a nerd(imo)
Already discussed this. For an "in a nutshell" overview, I find TASM to have captured the nerd aspect of Peter better because it didn't just tell you that he is a nerd but also showed it to you while the Raimi films just told you he was a nerd. Plus, as I said before, there are multiple types of nerds and Peter was never the George McFly type of nerd in the comics like how Tobey's Peter was.

-More mature
The definition of what is and isn't mature varies from person to person so I can't say anything on this. I do, however, hope that you're not comparing a man in his 20's like Tobey's Peter with a high school kid like Andrew's Peter and argue that he is more mature thus Tobey's Peter is more like the comics. You have to compare them at the exact same ages in that case. I can't say TASM's high school Peter is more mature than SM1's high school Peter since we barely see much of SM1's high school Peter but I do feels TASM's Peter feels more mature than SM1's Peter. But then again, what I view as maturity is different from what you would view as maturity.

^I think what he is trying to say is that people (including yourself apparently) give a pass to all the MCU films when they make updates and changes to the source material but if Peter Parker owns one skateboard, then everybody loses their minds:hoboj:

So true. I feel a lot of the MCU films get a pass just for being MCU films. Movies like Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America, despite not being bad movies, were not exactly great movies either. At least not great movies in the way people refer to them (people say they "revolutionized" comic book films and stuff like that). I feel that only Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Avengers are great films that did a lot for the comic book movie industry while there rest were just good/alright. I may have said in the past that the MCU films are up there with the Nolan films but whenever I said that, I was only thinking about IM1, TIH, and Avengers.

I will give Marvel credit where it's due though. Although some films are a lot better than others, they have yet to make a bad movie.

I agree but that's not because they're not capable of doing a great Spider-Man movie but because they're far too busy with many other projects and because they feel the need to add tons of Avengers promos and things that lead up to Avengers into their solo films which take away from the solo films themselves.

1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Captain America
5. Thor
6. Iron Man 2

I agree with your list except that I would switch Iron Man 2 and Thor. If I were to add TASM in there, it would be in between Hulk and Cap.

Well as a guy who actually is in highschool and skateboards, a good portion of the people at my school are skaters

Well as a guy who actually is in highschool and skateboards, a good portion of the people at my school are skaters

And do you, as well as the skateboarders at your school, happen by any chance to be teenage rebel punks? I'm curious since many people are saying that Peter is automatically that just because he skateboards. Let's put the theory to the test :funny:.

Last edited:
So true. I feel a lot of the MCU films get a pass just for being MCU films. Movies like Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America, despite not being bad movies, were not exactly great movies either. At least not great movies in the way people refer to them (people say they "revolutionized" comic book films and stuff like that). I feel that only Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Avengers are great films that did a lot for the comic book movie industry while there rest were just good/alright. I may have said in the past that the MCU films are up there with the Nolan films but whenever I said that, I was only thinking about IM1, TIH, and Avengers.

I will give Marvel credit where it's due though. Although some films are a lot better than others, they have yet to make a bad movie.

I agree but that's not because they're not capable of doing a great Spider-Man movie but because they're far too busy with many other projects and because they feel the need to add tons of Avengers promos and things that lead up to Avengers into their solo films which take away from the solo films themselves.

I agree with your list except that I would switch Iron Man 2 and Thor. If I were to add TASM in there, it would be in between Hulk and Cap.

:up:

I would go:

1- Avengers
2- Iron Man
3- The Amazing Spider-Man
4- The Incredible Hulk
5- Captain America
6- Thor
7- Iron Man 2

Underdeveloped villains? Loki and Red Skull were finely developed, hence why Loki didn't even need any more development in Avengers. And no villain is as underdeveloped as Vanko.
Vanko was underdevolep terribly,as was Hammer
I would say the same for Red Skull and Loki(To a lesser extent though)
His motivations werent clear at all

And I definitely disagree with the action scenes as well. That's one thing that has been really stellar with the MCU films, even to the films that weren't that great such as IM2 and Incredible Hulk.
Just look at the Metal guy attack scenes in Thor,The CGI is ridiculous
I seriously felt an ametuer sitting at home could have done better
Same with CapAm,laziness at its best
Though those in IM,IM2 and TA were excellent

I didn't care for the action in Thor, and the action in Captain America is so/so. I don't think there have been any scenes that really get my heart racing in those movies. The action in Iron Man 2 was really bad for the most part, though the first movie had plenty of really cool action sequences. The Incredible Hulk had one decent battle between him and Tim Roth, and although the final battle was really cool, it was awkward watching two giant CGI monsters fight for 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"