• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man v.2 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me Spider-man fans want to read Peter as Spider-man...so why continue to put people who arent Peter in the costume?

peters body is in costume atleast

I agree Artistsean, there are some interesting possibilities with this angle and the change is of course never permanent, but there are some things about the story I'm sceptical about.

Here's a list of what I'm not to keen on (off the top of my head).

- new Spider-man is essentially just the old, but with a different personality (as far as we can tell he's going to keep the same supporting cast and just pretend to be Peter to everyone. Makes you wonder why they bothered with a new Spider-man at all).

- they seem to be teasing some nasty implications due to said body swap (telling us Spidey & MJ 'get back together')

- saying this is the new 'status quo' for the foreseeable future (giving the impression this could be more than just one year)

- We already have several 'darker' Spider-men about (frankly we have too many 'spider-men' in general)

Though I should probably say that I don't actually expect anything to happen with MJ or anyone else that believes Ock is really Peter. I think Marvel is just taking the mickey there (which is a bit annoying). Mind you, I can't deny there's a little voice in my head asking "what if they are that stupid?". Wacker's comments on the matter are less than encouraging on that front to be honest.
Well in an interview I heard, Marvel asked Slott what comic he wanted to work on in the Now comics and he said Spider-Man. He didn't want to change and had been planning this since before 600. So my guess is that they only had the whole revamp stuff because of its connection to the Marvel Now thing. Imagine if there was no Marvel Now, wouldn't it just seem like another Spider-Man story? Like when Peter got a sidekick?
The change to his costume and title are part of the new character inside if Peter. He decides to alter the costume to fit his own personality. But the title is probably part of the Marvel Now, but also its that the new Spider-Man wants to show he can not only be a hero, he will be the best hero ever! it fits the new Spider-Man's character. And probably after some time Peter will return and might keep the title and the costume for a while. And then switch back, sort of like when he kept the Ben Riely costume for a while.
I think they introduced the MJ story into the comics because is something that would have needed to be addressed anyway. I am sure they wont have them sleep together. I say worry about it when it happens, drop the book or something. But not before you know whats going to happen. For all we know MJ and Carlie talk, compare notes and figure out whats going on with Superior Spider-Man. And maybe Superior pushes MJ away feeling guilty because now he wants to be a hero (after melding minds with Peter in 700). I don't know what Wacker said but Slott has said that he is offended that people assume he will put that creepy thing into the comics. So he is sort of saying that it hasn't happened yet so don't jump to conclusions.
I don't remember reading or hearing that this is the status quo from now on, but I have heard it might take more than a year. But in terms of story maybe thats how long it will take to tell the full Superior Spidey story. Cap didn't return in a year and he is back now and great. Peter will return and I'm sure.

HUH? Peters dead, Dock ock is using his body and living peters life, its a perversion of the character, it s that elephant in the room. people who read a comic with spider-man will just get a creepy disgusted vibe.
Peter will return just like Batman returned, Captain America returned, Superman returned, Hal Jordan returned, Martian Manhunter returned, Wonder Woman returned, Barry Allen returned, the New Gods returned, Thor returned, Ted Kord retu... well, I am sure Peter will return. And like I said earlier there are lots of ways they can get around the creepy thing. I agree the idea is creepy. Superior pretending to be Peter, taking his life and contemplating sleeping with MJ. But didn't that all happen before the mind meld? And at the end he didn't want to be Spider-Man anymore but had no choice. And now he is going to do his best to be a hero. Heroes don't do creepy things right?

And probably after some time Peter will return and might keep the title and the costume for a while. And then switch back, sort of like when he kept the Ben Riely costume for a while.

Ummm Peter never wore Ben's version of the Spidey costume. He wore his own costume in Spider-Man 75 and continued to wear his version after Ben's death. Ben's version was all torn up from the battle with Norman.

I wonder how much longer Slott's run will last? JMS' was from '01-'07 and Slott has been on this since '08. I'd imagine he'd finish his run in '14 to coincide with the ending of his Superior storyline and the release of the new movie. That would match up nicely, we'd have had nearly a year and a half of Octto as Spidey which translates to about 30-something chapters, which back in the day of course would have been two years and some change.

Are these "killing Spider-Man" rumors true?

Yes. They killed Peter Parker. And for the people saying things will change when the movie comes out what makes you think that? I mean Otto has all of Peter's memories and has his body. When you have readers jumping in as the movie draws near they won't notice a difference unless fans tell them because he is pretty much Peter Parker.

On the surface he died but there may have been some early indications that Peter is still swimming around in his own mind while Ock takes that s**t for a joyride.

Peter will return, at some point in the future. Maybe later this year, maybe next year, maybe wityhin 3 years, maybe more. But he will return, and I am sure before Slott is done with his job on Spider-Man. He is a huge fan and loves writing him, so I doubt he will keep Superior Spidey around as long as he can. He has a plan and a determined time. I think what he plans is a fun interesting character study with the new Spider-Man trying to be a hero. And then the fun story of how Peter Parker returns.

Anyone else think the next guy up for a run on Spidey after Slott is Chris Yost? His work on The Many Loves of the Amazing Spider-Man was some of the best characterization of Peter-Spidey I've seen in a while, and even though Marvel has handed him Ock-Spidey in Avenging I think he did a great job with 15.1 as well. I really hope this Avenging run is really just prepping him to take over for Slott in the next 2-3 years.

I think Slott has at least 2-3 more years left in him. A lot can happen in that time at Marvel in terms of new writers coming aboard. Yost is good pick now because of his work on Scarlet Spider (which I've learned to like more as time has passed) but in a few years he may not even be involved heavily in the comics end. He's writing the Avengers cartoon and scripted the Thor sequel. He may head off to higher profile gigs in Hollywood.

I'd say 2 other strong candidates are Christos Gage (Slott's frequent collaborator) and Mark Waid, who was part of the BND rotation and his stories were always solid. But back to what I led off with, Slott isn't leaving this book anytime soon as far as I'm concerned.

I think Slott has at least 2-3 more years left in him. A lot can happen in that time at Marvel in terms of new writers coming aboard. Yost is good pick now because of his work on Scarlet Spider (which I've learned to like more as time has passed) but in a few years he may not even be involved heavily in the comics end. He's writing the Avengers cartoon and scripted the Thor sequel. He may head off to higher profile gigs in Hollywood.

I'd say 2 other strong candidates are Christos Gage (Slott's frequent collaborator) and Mark Waid, who was part of the BND rotation and his stories were always solid. But back to what I led off with, Slott isn't leaving this book anytime soon as far as I'm concerned.
I said in the next 2-3 years. And I'd rather they bring in someone who hasn't been involved at all with the main Spidey titles up to this point to get a completely new start.

I'd like Hickman on the book :up:
I don't think Hickman is a good fit for Spidey.

I just read an interview with Chris Yost about Avenging Spider-Man in the Superior era.....

SLEEPWALKER is coming back for an issue!

coolcoolcool
:word::word::word:

He was great on FF which in some respects shares the same kind of storytelling as Spider-Man. Granted, Spidey was just shoehorned in FF and didn't do much, but I think it would be different if he was the focus.

I hope Slott sticks around Spidey for a very long time... :up:

:yay:

I remember euroq saying the same thing about JMS, and look how that turned out :o

I don't know why people are getting upset. This move will last at MOST a year and a half. There is no way on this green earth that by the time Amazing Spider-Man 2 nears it's theatrical release that Peter Parker (mind and body) wont be in the world famous red and blues.

Not. A. Chance.

The more I think about this the more I feel that we'll be pleasantly surprised by the end of this story. I/we have survived the clone saga (and the JMS run) and I'm betting that Slott has this more well thought out than that; so I'm here for the ride for better or worse. (Besides I can't break up my complete Spider-man run after all these years.)

I remember euroq saying the same thing about JMS, and look how that turned out :o
not sure if you mean he left after only 7 years or he had a bad run because of OMD. I'm pretty sure Marvel had more to do with OMD than JMS himself.

I have never read Avenging Spider-Man, but have considered giving it a look. Is it a $2.99 or $3.99 book? Also, it is just monthly, right?

.......and poor MJ is deformed.
deformedmj1qs2o.png

if you cover up the wide jaw bones with your thumbs, she looks much better.

The lop sided eyes are what get me......I know her heads supposed to look tilted but they are very uneven....one is definitely set higher.......looks totally bizarre!:wow:

Clone saga, relaunch, the other, sins past, omd, bnd, 700.... Spidey fans have been through a lot

Yes Marvel hates traditional Peter for some reason. They've been on a vindetta since the mid-90s.

I have never read Avenging Spider-Man, but have considered giving it a look. Is it a $2.99 or $3.99 book? Also, it is just monthly, right?
It's $3.99 and yes, it's monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back