Inhumans The Anson Mount is Black Bolt Thread

cherokeesam

SHIELD Director Coulson
Reaction score
black-bolt_zps9e010a27.jpg

Discuss news, speculation, and fancasting for Blackagar Boltagon, aka Black Bolt....silent leader of the Inhumans. His voice is one of the most powerful sonic weapons in the universe.....even his softest whisper can level entire cities!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bolt

Last edited:
Throwing out the first bit of speculation about casting for Black Bolt. There have been rumors to this effect for awhile now, but now that Inhumans has officially been announced, it's worth revisiting a Tweet from Vin Diesel several months ago:

"I get the strange feeling that Marvel thinks I'm Inhuman… Haha."

Keep in mind that Vin tweeted this fresh on the heels of the release of GOTG, and months before there was any confirmation at all of an Inhumans movie.

http://www.thewire.com/entertainmen...e-or-is-he-trolling-marvel-movie-fans/375886/

Also, even further back than that, Vin stated that Marvel planned to use him for a live action film --- not just the voice-acting for Groot --- later on in 2016 or 2017.

“What we were initially talking about was a fresh IP and that was the focus of our conversation, which was a fresh IP that would come out in 2016 or 2017, and potentially launch the third phase. And when we went to Comic-Con we realized that people wanted something a little more immediate…”

http://screenrant.com/vin-diesel-new-marvel-franchise-inhumans/

So, *if* Vin is lined up for Black Bolt, do you love it? Hate it? Wait and see? Want to sell somebody else for the role?

I reckon he was just teasing to throw people off the scent.

I have no idea who they can get to play black bolt. Whoever they get though will surely steal the show from almost every character save lockjaw

I wouldn't have a problem with Vin in the role at all. I think he's a better actor than many give him credit for. He has a natural charisma that the part is going to need BIG time. After all there won't be any lines or at least almost no lines. If it's not Vin then frankly I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. It's an interesting casting challenge to say the least.

Just because he tweeted that doesn't mean he would be the lead.

He also previously implied he'd be the Vision.

I'd like him as Gorgon for some reason.

Anyway for BB?
Jake Gyllenhal?

Yea, unless something unforeseen happens, I'm thinking it's Diesel. Pretty sure Marvel and Diesel locked this up during the Groot negotiations.

It's amusing. He'd go from one role where he spoke but was never seen (Groot) to one where he's seen but never speaks (Black Bolt). Oh and I think that Vin would be a great choice.

Need someone very emotive. Someone who can act without speaking. Benicio del Toro was my favorite for a long time because he did the whole less-is-more approach in a movie called Way of the Gun. There's a lot of people really good at it right now. Ryan Gosling. Michael Fassbender. Joaquin Pheonix. And Michael Shannon is really good at it. I think I'd like to see Michael Shannon in the role.

Need someone very emotive. Someone who can act without speaking. Benicio del Toro was my favorite for a long time because he did the whole less-is-more approach in a movie called Way of the Gun. There's a lot of people really good at it right now. Ryan Gosling. Michael Fassbender. Joaquin Pheonix. And Michael Shannon is really good at it. I think I'd like to see Michael Shannon in the role.

I don't know that I could take Shannon seriously in the role but I can dig Joaquin.

Couldn't agree more.

I loved what Vin was able to do with Groot, it was a revelation to me. He helped create a character who captured the public's imagination as much as Rocket. But I'm not really a fan of Vin as Black Bolt. I'm thinking of the eyes, someone with great expressive pools. Micheal Shannon, Jake Gyllenhal, etc. You guys are definitely on the write track with these type suggestions. I'm also thinking of the great Shakespearean actors of the day who could emote with their bodies, with the slightest shift in posture etc. The bottom line is even though it may appear on the surface that the role doesn't require a great actor, I think it's essential.

Last edited:
I'm interested in how they'll portray his scream. someone over at reddit mentioned something like jango fett's seismic charge bomb. everything gets quiet and then there's a loud explosion, emphasizing the difference in volume.

[YT]erFcYsC6JaY[/YT]
that would be pretty cool.

ЯɘvlveR;30012785 said:
I'm interested in how they'll portray his scream. someone over at reddit mentioned something like jango fett's seismic charge bomb. everything gets quiet and then there's a loud explosion, emphasizing the difference in volume.

[YT]erFcYsC6JaY[/YT]
that would be pretty cool.

I'm kind of torn on it. I really like that in the comics they have always emphasized that even a whisper could take out a city and when he does whisper, its not actually louder, it just has more force behind it for some reason. I think it was World War Hulk, he had a really tiny word balloon but Hulk was hit with a big blast. Really loved that contrast

I'm kind of torn on it. I really like that in the comics they have always emphasized that even a whisper could take out a city and when he does whisper, its not actually louder, it just has more force behind it for some reason.

it's gonna be really tough to show just how powerful he is i would think.

Black Bolt is up there with Silver Surfer for me, one of my favorite characters. I agree though, his powers will be hard to translate on screen.

He's one character I would hate to see get nerfed.

Hopefully they get someone other than Diesel...

Gotta be Vin.

I dont even mind that he'll be 50 years old. But the dude is getting pretty thick. Might be the first time a dudes arms are bigger than his superhero counterpart.

Diesel has been the fan favorite for awhile. I personally love the idea even though I have no idea if he can pull it off and have no reason to think he could. I think it's just the idea of the unorthodox with him. Of course, while Groot seemed unorthodox, he had prior experience with the Iron Giant that helped. In theory, you need an actor who can pull of subtle emotions just through facial expressions, which is tough to do.

That being said, Black Bolt has always been cryptic in his emotions. I think it would be inaccurate to suggest he betrayed his thoughts through his facial expressions. He really needs to be imposing and badass, which Vin Diesel can certainly do. Plus, I think he physically could pull it off.

So if they have someone better, by all means. But I'd still be excited to see him in this role.

When AMC Talk was roundtabling the Marvel announcements, Jon Schnepp was already talking Diesel as Black Bolt as if he knows it's already a done deal.

It makes a lot of sense. They definitely should reuse him. Much like they should reuse adewale akinnuoye-agbaje (for T'Chaka?) and maybe even Bradley Cooper at some point.

Not feeling Vin as Black Bolt I think they should aim higher, but hey, he absolutely killed it as Groot. It would be tough to convince some actors to play this unique role, although others would take it as an exciting, creative challenge.

Last edited:
If Black Bolt won't be speaking just hire a pretty boy and pay him minimum wage. :funny:

One tricky thing about Black Bolt is that he has, in my opinion, one of the coolest costumes in the Marvel Comics roster, but also one that I can't imagine easily converting to film. And I'm usually quite an advocate for "Just translate the costume as faithfully as possible." It's difficult, as such a costume could easily look terrible in live action, but at the same time if you adapt it into something more generic I fear it just wouldn't be Black Bolt. Is the best approach to out-there material like The Inhumans just to lean into it and embrace the weirdness, going all-out with the strange names, powers and, yes, costumes?

He was purported to have been in cotention for Dr. Strange, but I think Keanu Reeves would be a better fit for Black Bolt.

So people are complaining about Vin being "too wooden" to play BB, and yet they want the world's most famous plank of wood Keanu Reeves to play him instead? Riiiigght.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"