The Atheist Page

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by giggs11uk, May 19, 2006.

?

Are you an Atheist

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. giggs11uk Registered

This is the page for the superhero hype Athiest Community.

This page is not intendid to persuade anyone to the Athiest Religion it is only an outlet for fellow Athiest to express their opinoins on current events.

I am not in anyway saying that Atheist are better then any other person.

If you disagree with Atheism then that is fine don't spam in this thread

Common Atheist Beliefs

Atheism is the dibelief in any god or gods.

Religion has been used for a long time as a way to control the public. For instance British kings say I am your leader. Then the peasent says why are u our leader. The King simply responds God made me King you ignorant peasent. He will kill you

News Articles
    This is my point Democrats are loosing religous voters because Bush said that Jesus wants him to be President
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/30/politics/main806627.shtml

This is a disturbing article on about how America feels about Atheists
    http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/ath1.htm

Atheist Links
    http://www.nogodblog.com
    http://www.atheists.org/

Quotes
    Other Atheist Views

Immagration
    Most Atheist don't have a problem with immagration. I personaly believe that this country was founded on one single purpose "no taxation without representation" so you can't make immagrants pay taxes yet not allow them to vote. Most Atheist agree with this belief

Christmas
    Christmas is a christian holiday, but many Atheist are open to celebrating the commercial holiday of christmas or X-mas. Atheist can celebrate this holiday and not be christian. It is important to keep ties with your familys and many Atheist have religous familys but arn't religous them selves. Santa is the symbol of X-mas not Jesus

2. DOG LIPS El Señor Presidente

God=BS in the title? Yeah, this thread will be closed in a few hours. :down

3. Carter Registered

This would have stood a chance w/o the whole BS thing

4. droogiedroogie2 Registered

The tactlessness is mindblowing.

5. Ronny Shade back for a limited time

6. giggs11uk Registered

hey God=Bs is for all those people who don't understand what Atheism is. Give it a shot

7. cass Registered

Government forcing religion into schools? Um, no.

8. cass Registered

If people don't understand what atheism is, I'm reasonably sure that they're unable to type on a keyboard. You're just trying to start a flame war here.

9. Daisy Gone

This isn't the "Official Superherohype!" anything thread.

They Hype! is open to people of all beliefs.

10. hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Are you telling people to convert to athieism, because as a fellow athiest, even I say, that is not cool. :o

11. giggs11uk Registered

All right you got me but atleast it sparked some intrest now lets get to the real point of this thread

12. Childlike Wild Registered

It's not much of a discussion if everyone is just saying, "Hey, we're cool because we don't believe in God!"

Not that I have to worry about this happening.* The religious will come in and it'll turn into a flame war within a few pages (if it's not closed).

*Not that I would worry about an SHH! thread.

13. Maxwell Smart Registered

We don't believe in God...

...k, now what? :confused:

14. giggs11uk Registered

I'm not converting people at all this is not a persuasive page. THis is a page for atheist to discuss politics and other issues were atheist arn't being fairly represented. I am not trying to convert anyone.

15. Addendum Registered

16. Maxwell Smart Registered

17. cass Registered

Are you so uncomfortable in your belief that you have to have a page for support?

18. GoldGoblin Registered

This page should be closed like your atheist mouth.

19. Wilhelm-Scream Registered

That's got to be one of the more embarrassing phenomena I've encountered since I've been using the internet...People making "Official" threads that aren't official.:o
    Especially when they blatantly break a rule, like "Welcome to the OFFICIAL SPAM THREAD! This is where you can post nonsense to get your post-count up. Go ahead and post anything that pops into your mind! Enjoy!"

haha, I saw one like that once, for...a few seconds.

20. stryfe Chaos Bringer

Convert to Chaos, where I am the God.

21. giggs11uk Registered

No i am not asking for reinsurance in my own religion im just tired of hearing all this "under God" stuff and im sure alot of other people are too.

22. Maxwell Smart Registered

Atheists Are Distrusted

ASA NEWS
    May 3, 2006
    Johanna Olexy or Lee Herring
    (202) 247-9871
    [email protected]

Atheists Identified as America’s Most Distrusted Minority,
    According Sociological Study

Washington, DC—American’s increasing acceptance of religious diversity does not extend to those who don’t believe in a god, according to a national survey by researchers in the University of Minnesota’s department of sociology. The study will appear in the April issue of the American Sociological Review.

From a telephone sampling of more than 2,000 households, university researchers found that Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in “sharing their vision of American society.” Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry.

Even though atheists are few in number, not formally organized and relatively hard to publicly identify, they are seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public. “Atheists, who account for about 3 percent of the U.S. population, offer a glaring exception to the rule of increasing social tolerance over the last 30 years,” says Penny Edgell, associate sociology professor and the study’s lead researcher.

Edgell also argues that today’s atheists play the role that Catholics, Jews and communists have played in the past—they offer a symbolic moral boundary to membership in American society. “It seems most Americans believe that diversity is fine, as long as every one shares a common ‘core’ of values that make them trustworthy—and in America, that ‘core’ has historically been religious,” says Edgell. Many of the study’s respondents associated atheism with an array of moral indiscretions ranging from criminal behavior to rampant materialism and cultural elitism.

Edgell believes a fear of moral decline and resulting social disorder is behind the findings. “Americans believe they share more than rules and procedures with their fellow citizens—they share an understanding of right and wrong,” she said. “Our findings seem to rest on a view of atheists as self-interested individuals who are not concerned with the common good.”

The researchers also found acceptance or rejection of atheists is related not only to personal religiosity, but also to one’s exposure to diversity, education and political orientation—with more educated, East and West Coast Americans more accepting of atheists than their Midwestern counterparts.

The study is co-authored by assistant professor Joseph Gerteis and associate professor Doug Hartmann. It’s the first in a series of national studies conducted the American Mosaic Project, a three-year project funded by the Minneapolis-based David Edelstein Family Foundation that looks at race, religion and cultural diversity in the contemporary United States.

# # #

The American Sociological Review, edited by Jerry A. Jacobs (University of Pennsylvania), is the flagship journal of the American Sociological Association.

The American Sociological Association, established in 1905, is a non-profit membership association dedicated to serving sociologists in their work, advancing sociology as a science and profession, and promoting the contributions and use of sociology to society.

http://www.asanet.org/page.ww?section=Press&name=Atheists+Are+Distrusted

I think this is true. I live in Texas and attitudes are bad enough here I don't come out in public about being Atheist. I just say I'm "non-religious" which leaves the possibility in their minds I believe in a higher power. Its sad I have to do that, but I really am concerned that if I was open about it I'd become a target for discrimination or worse, physical harm.

23. cass Registered

Ummm, atheism isn't a religion.

24. Doobie88 Registered

Statistcly I hear athiests are less likely to suffer from depresion. Most likely for those who don't believe in the afterlife. We make the best out of this, our one and only life.

25. DV8 Band Loser

so atheists don't believe in any form of god? I'm very curious . . .