The Avengers The Avengers: News and Speculation - Part 27A sub-se - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear. Hopefully that bodes well for the still unannounced sequel.

rashad said:
Wrong. TDK was not re-released. It never left theaters during it's boxoffice run. It was a re-expansion. Meaning it crossed the mark on it's original run.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...darkknight.htm

The last 2D film to do so. 3D and the growth of foreign markets have allowed that mark to be crossed a lot easier thus making it not as special. Though still an amazing accomplishment nonetheless.

All Time Worldwide BO Grosses. Movies with a ^ next to them were true re-released films.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

I'm sorry for going off topic but I had to correct that statement.

Ok I was wrong :up:

I remember running across a story back in 08 that said Dark Knight was re-opening in theathers, I never actually read it because I figured it was true because that sounds alot more normal thanstaying in theaters 8 months.

i don't give a **** about it beating TDK,

i just want it to be a good movie and do well at the box office.

I don't give a ***** about the box office, I just want it to be a good movie.

And to show Nolan that CBMs can have a CBM feeling and still be great!

Shadowlord:
Sorry but I really cannot buy that the career of an established actor like Rourke can be derailed by the portrayal of his character in IM2. That's absurd. A multi-picture scenario like Twilight for Pattinson, ok, but not this.
I'm not so sure. It doesn't really take much. Just look at what he's done since IM2. Expendables, Immortals, Passion Play (which is a departure from action, but didn't go over well) and now he's got two films coming up in which he deals with the criminal underworld and terrorists.

Looks a heck of a lot like type casting to me man.

Shadowlord:

I'm not so sure. It doesn't really take much. Just look at what he's done since IM2. Expendables, Immortals, Passion Play (which is a departure from action, but didn't go over well) and now he's got two films coming up in which he deals with the criminal underworld and terrorists.

Looks a heck of a lot like type casting to me man.

The man was nominated for an Oscar for The Wrestler. If anything is wrong with the current state of Mickey Rourke's career it's his agent sending him on projects that don't exploit his talents and his inability to say "no" to questionable projects.

I very strongly question any assumption that IM2 was the start of his career downfall. I read a tweet earlier today that's making it sound like Rourke is pretty close to dissing "The Immortals", seeing how poorly it has been received by the critics.

The Expendables kicked butt on it's opening weekend, did it not?

The man was nominated for an Oscar for The Wrestler. If anything is wrong with the current state of Mickey Rourke's career it's his agent sending him on projects that don't exploit his talents and his inability to say "no" to questionable projects.

I very strongly question any assumption that IM2 was the start of his career downfall. I read a tweet earlier today that's making it sound like Rourke is pretty close to dissing "The Immortals", seeing how poorly it has been received by the critics.
And since Wrestler he hasn't been a part of anything that's come close. Just look at his current line up. The guy is clearly being type casted. He's probably not handling it as well as he should, but having to take on a bunch of less than average roles after coming close to an oscar? I can understand the frustration.

The Expendables kicked butt on it's opening weekend, did it not?
Of course it did, it attracted an extremely GA crowd who wanted to see big guys punch things. It was destined to make money. Doesn't mean everyone involved was proud of it.

Know what else came out against Expendables? Scott Pilgrim vs the World. A movie that barely raked in anything at the BO but was still one of the coolest and most innovative films I've ever seen. And everyone involved with that project will gladly sing its praises.

IM2 was not the train wreck that some people here might paint it to be.
Disappointing? To some people sure, but I was more than satisfied and still thoroughly enjoy that movie, as did most people in the GA.
In no way did that effect Mickey's career in a negative way, because it didn't tank critically or commercially. If his career is indeed circling the drain, it has nothing to do with IM2.

Of course it did, it attracted an extremely GA crowd who wanted to see big guys punch things. It was destined to make money. Doesn't mean everyone involved was proud of it.

Know what else came out against Expendables? Scott Pilgrim vs the World. A movie that barely raked in anything at the BO but was still one of the coolest and most innovative films I've ever seen. And everyone involved with that project will gladly sing its praises.

Personally, The Expendables bored the snot out of me and I adored Scott Pilgrim with all my heart. I can understand why it didn't do better at the box office, but I'm also a little sad that the moviegoing public didn't give it a chance.

I just question that the blame for Rourke's post-The Wrestler movie career can be laid totally or mostly on IM2. I blame his handlers, his PR team who allows him to trash whatever project he's just finished, and his agent and himself for picking subpar projects. It sounds to me that he wants to scapegoat his career on everyone else but himself.

At least he's still working...

I haven't followed everything Rourke said, but I think he's right when he says that he gave more to the movie than what they showed. You can obviously tell that, when the last fight against Iron Man and War Machine lasts for about 30 seconds. Their focus was clearly towards Nick Fury and Black Widow. Which is fine by me, but I think the movie needed more from the, ehem, main villain.
"I want my burd."

I've been around a long time....seen Rourke touted as great...a has been....great....a has been......and through it all, Rourke has always been linked to one kind of problem or another. He got rave reviews at the start of his career and then purposely screwed his career himself by wanting to become a professional boxer. He made a short comeback as a character actor...and then screwed his career again with his mouth and the first allegations of domestic abuse. He then was said to be having a miraculous comeback again because of the WRESTLER.....and now his temperment on set and mouth are at it again.....

I've been around a long time....seen Rourke touted as great...a has been....great....a has been......and through it all, Rourke has always been linked to one kind of problem or another. He got rave reviews at the start of his career and then purposely screwed his career himself by wanting to become a professional boxer. He made a short comeback as a character actor...and then screwed his career again with his mouth and the first allegations of domestic abuse. He then was said to be having a miraculous comeback again because of the WRESTLER.....and now his temperment on set and mouth are at it again.....
exactly. that's just the way Rourke works...

exactly. that's just the way Rourke works...
That's the way a lot of Hollywood people work. That doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong about Marvel though, just a little less legitimate coming from him, especially given his current run.

What were the string if great roles besides the Wrestler that Roarke had leading up until IM2?

Has Mickey Rourke blamed his plastic surgeon yet? Because I really think he should.

Don't actors get typecast in roles they excel at?

Whaaaa...? I continue to think Rocky is Stallone's finest role. Hell, I even liked Rocky Balboa.

Oh and loved him in Demolition Man. I honestly can't think of any other Stallone movie where I like him more.

His role in Cop Land, Frank Nitti in Capone, Cosmo in Paradise Alley...

Don't actors get typecast in roles they excel at?
I guess it depends on the definition of "excel" in this instance. If they excel at pulling huge BO numbers from a certain role then they usually get typecast in that role. I guess for instance, RDJ excels at playing Tony Stark, but it's arguably not his best role. Something like Chaplin would be his standard of excellence. Actors who are diverse enough will be cast in many roles that showcase their talents, others are thrown into a certain genre and sometimes stay there.

The Snow White and the Huntsman movie coming up is a good example. Hemsworth plays the Huntsman and the trailer showed him wielding his weaponry in an almost identical fashion as Thor's hammer. And Kristen Stewart is also in that movie most likely from her fantasy Twilight fame. These are the roles that the GA feels they excel at and are most comfortable seeing them in. So they are definitely going to be offered more roles like this in the future.

Whaaaa...? I continue to think Rocky is Stallone's finest role. Hell, I even liked Rocky Balboa.
Don't get me wrong. Rocky and Rocky Balboa were great movies, the first Rambo was good too. I just think he had performances as actor in other movies where he was as good as in Rocky but no one seems to remember that he once was an actor(writer/director/producer) and not just the action hero of the 80ies

I would consider Rocky to be Stallones finest dramatic role and best movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"