The Ban On RPG Applications

Batman

Dramatic Example
Reaction score
Recently, I've gotten quite a few instant messages asking when the ban on RPG applications is to be lifted, if at all. At first, I thought these were unfounded, but a quick check to see how long it had been proved me wrong: It had been precisely three months since the initial proposal. Given that my estimate was three-to-six months, and the possibility of pending applications that a few people want to write were hanging in the air, I figured I'd open this up for discussion.

This poll shall be open for one week. Should the majority vote that the ban be lifted, applications will be once again allowed to be made for review and/or acceptance for new games.

Should the majority vote to keep things as they are, the ban will continue for another three months, and in three months time, I'll post a poll again to once-and-for-all decide whether the ban becomes permanent or not.

Let's begin. Your thoughts? :yay:

I think it's the right time for the ban to be lifted. New RPG apps should be able to be posted and considered. However, I suggest making it a bit more difficult to be accepted.

Such as increasing the limit of the required amount of interested players from 5 to 10.
Also, a bit more scrutiny by MB and Twy before approval of an RPG. Make sure that you feel that the RPG in question has enough thought put into it to thrive instead of dying after a couple of months, or what not.

I agree with JB. A bit of fresh air with some new RPGs would be good, but we don't want to get bombarded with one week games again.

Also, a bit more scrutiny by MB and Twy before approval of an RPG. Make sure that you feel that the RPG in question has enough thought put into it to thrive instead of dying after a couple of months, or what not.

...We... already did that. :huh:

The truth is, no one can predict how long a given RPG will last, even if it's the most thought out, flatly brilliant concept. twy and I had no way of knowing which ones would thrive or not, unless it was just wildly unpopular or very poorly handed, and when that was obvious, we'd both deny the app. And with the ones that were iffy, we'd usually have a multitude of arguments over it before deciding. Harsh things would be said. Bruises would be made. Make up sex would be swee-

Er, I'm getting off topic. :o

However, I am very much in favor of editing the guidelines to provide more difficulty in a given application to becoming accepted. At least, enough to make it seem less like a revolving door of games and more like an actual process that justifies a given concept being accepted.

Keep the ban for a little while longer, I sayeth.

Lift I say. Lift away.

But, if I may make a suggestion, how about when an RPG gets approved, we make it go through a test run before it gets FULLY approved. And what I mean by test run, is we make a faux IC thread, whilst the application thread becomes the OOC thread for the time being. Then we play the game like it's a regular RPG, except maybe after three or maybe even four weeks, we check the amount of posting that took place during that time period, and if the post count is high and frequent, then the game gets full approval and is given permission to make the faux IC thread and OOC threads into official OOC/IC threads. And if the count is low or it's been dead for a good amount of time, then the test run is a failure and the fake IC thread is moved to the archives or deleted completely.

What are your thoughts?

Lift. Ya never know when a great idea will come along and devolp into a rich and fun RPG.

Hell, I say lift it. The purpose of these games are to have fun, and if a certain RPG doesn't last long, than at least it was fun while it did last.

Lift I say. Lift away.

But, if I may make a suggestion, how about when an RPG gets approved, we make it go through a test run before it gets FULLY approved. And what I mean by test run, is we make a faux IC thread, whilst the application thread becomes the OOC thread for the time being. Then we play the game like it's a regular RPG, except maybe after three or maybe even four weeks, we check the amount of posting that took place during that time period, and if the post count is high and frequent, then the game gets full approval and is given permission to make the faux IC thread and OOC threads into official OOC/IC threads. And if the count is low or it's been dead for a good amount of time, then the test run is a failure and the fake IC thread is moved to the archives or deleted completely.

What are your thoughts?
Doesn't really change much, does it?

GUILTY!!!! :cmad::cmad::cmad:

Whoops, sorry about that. Wrong question.

Meh, I don't care if it gets lifted or not. But I want to see some new ideas 'round this mofo. Go ahead and lift it up, like your hot cousin's skirt! :up:

I'd normally say yes...but I can't. Yea, some new concepts would be awesome and all...but this is the summer, and there have been dead gaps in every RPG (not as much as with DC, but that is because we had an RPG-wide arc).

People in the "old days" would always argue "well, people will not join then if they don't got the time"...yea, that's not the case: ain't true. Too many impulsive decisions will be made.

I gotta vote against it. :csad:

There are alot of problems with this, the two foremost being that A) No one in their right mind would want to commit to a test run of a game given that we've already got problems with people committing to full ones as it stands, and B) there would be no point, given that a full-on RPG would be closed after four weeks of inactivity anyway.

Even if a test game would be struggling, there would be those hesitant to close the thread because people are still posting, leading to a real mess. That's part of why Gods & Men lasted as long as it did: People weren't willing to accept it was dead long after it was. IMO, at least.

I didn't say it was a good idea. I'm just trying to come up with something that might help.:csad:

Well, at least it's food for thought. Nothing wrong with that.

Well I just hope we can find a way to bring this system back, just without all the craziness and flaws.:up:

Believe me - nothing anyone will come up with will be without it's preverbial craziness or flaws. Especially if Byrd is involved.

No. I take that back. It's guaranteed to be crazier and flawed if he's in on it. :cmad:

Well I just hope we can find a way to bring this system back, just without all the craziness and flaws.:up:

Wish in one hand, **** in the other. See which one will fill up first.

My vote's for lifting the ban. We're still in a bit of a dead spot now, yeah, but summer's just about over, which means we should be seeing a lot more activity pretty soon. There's a good potential for an influx of new ideas, and I'd like to see them, if only for curiosity's sake.

(That, and there are a couple of games I'd really like to see get a second try)

So, since it seems that the ban will get lifted, how do we officially make it harder for a new game to get accepted?

Increasing the number of the needed interested players is good way? But how much of an increase, and what else can be done?

My vote's for lifting the ban. We're still in a bit of a dead spot now, yeah, but summer's just about over, which means we should be seeing a lot more activity pretty soon. There's a good potential for an influx of new ideas, and I'd like to see them, if only for curiosity's sake.

(That, and there are a couple of games I'd really like to see get a second try)

I actually think the opposite will happen. With school starting up, you should see less activity than in the summer. I saw keep the ban for another few months until everyone finds a semi normal schedule amongst their real lives.

Yea, we have plenty of college students in these games. I see the upcoming semester slowing down activity. Summer is when people have more time, unless they go on vacation, then I can understand the argument better.

I never was a fan of the Ban, but I accepted it because it was a necessity. Was. I think enough time has passed for brainstorming to begin.

I actually think the opposite will happen. With school starting up, you should see less activity than in the summer. I saw keep the ban for another few months until everyone finds a semi normal schedule amongst their real lives.

I actually found myself a lot more active while I was still in school than I was during summer and Christmas breaks. I think it had to do with already having to be productive with the rest of the day, but I always found it easier to put up a post as a time-killing hobby rather than an obligation in the middle of the day off. Whether or not anyone else feels that way, I can't say, but it worked for me.

I think what we need to do to be more successful can be summed up in one beautiful word:

Communication.

Too often, I think, RPG applications were made that only one or two posters knew about beforehand. This is where the RPG Concept Thread really should have made an impact. Master Bruce and The Question joke (in the ITPS thread) about backroom sessions discussing UDC, but - really - I think that's what RPG concepts need. Posters need to get together and talk about an RPG. Share ideas for what everyone wants to accomplish. That way, at the end of the day, we can all step back and say, "Hey, we've got a pretty strong backbone here," or, "It was a good idea, but we simply don't have enough to build on." And I'm not just talking about two or three posters discussing an idea - I'm as guilty of that as anyone else - I'm talking about a community discussion.

That's why I think it should be carried out in the RPG Concept Thread - as opposed to PMs or MSN or something similar. Again, I come back to communication. Otherwise, we're all just writing fanfiction here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"