The Batman Reboot Casting Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am right there with you on Tom Cullen

If they are to recast Bruce Wayne/Batman I would love to see Tom Cullen get a shot. He was absolutely amazing in Knightfall, and is an overall amazing actor, likes to play those dark brooding characters, but can be very charismatic as well.

LMK-051343-Tom-Cullen-400x546.jpg
Yeah he's my #1 pick now.

tatiana-maslany-emmys-21sept15-12.jpg

Cullen played Guy Fawkes in that HBO mini-series a couple months ago. He's a good actor with a good voice for Bats, imo. Nice pick. :up:

"Who the **** is Tom Cullen?" Asks everyone.

It won't be someone that unknown. Even Cavill was pretty established before MoS - seems like Gal was sort of a unique situation in terms of the "who?", she sort of hit it off with Snyder somehow.

Doubt they'd lay their Batman role on someone like that though, especially given the cluster**** the DCEU's in at the moment.

Big names mean much less these days.

Only one star left: me! (Just kidding of course)

"Who the **** is Tom Cullen?" Asks everyone.

It won't be someone that unknown. Even Cavill was pretty established before MoS.
He was? His only major credits prior to Man of Steel were The Tudors and Immortals. Hardly a household name.

Tatiana Maslany would be a good Batman.

M-O-O-N that spells Tom Cullen (sorry, he probably gets that a lot)

I'd definitely dig Cullen if he was cast.

He was? His only major credits prior to Man of Steel were The Tudors and Immortals. Hardly a household name.

Didn't say he was a household name. Said he had a solid career going for himself, people had seen him in stuff and recognized him as "that guy" sort of thing.

Outside of the UK and former UK colonies, nobody's got Cullen on the radar, like at all.

Didn't say he was a household name. Said he had a solid career going for himself, people had seen him in stuff and recognized him as "that guy" sort of thing.

Outside of the UK and former UK colonies, nobody's got Cullen on the radar, like at all.
I invite you to go back to the internet archives back when Cavill was cast. No one outside hardcore DC fanboys and a small sect of television watchers were familiar with him.

Not even as a general "oh, I know him from that thing I watched".

Not true, but not like this is a productive debate. Agree to disagree I guess.

Maybe Immortals was a bigger hit than we all thought.

Lots of people saw The Cold Light of Day and Hellraiser Hellworld, man.

Looking at Cullen's resume and Cavill's resume (prior to MoS), they both seem pretty comparable to me. Nothing on Cavill's resume supports the idea that he was known outside of maybe the Tudors and CBM fanbases. There's really nothing there. Tom Cullen's the same way, though to his credit he's made some appearances in a few high-profile shows such as Black Mirror, Downton Abbey, and Orphan Black. I can't speak for the popularity of Gunpowder and Knightfall, but he's at least getting some exposure in a leading capacity.

Now, the point about WB hiring an unknown actor for Batman is a fair one. However, in today's climate I'd say that might be the better route to go (assuming WB is still in the DCEU for the long haul). Bigger-name actors demand bigger paychecks, and there may be some difficulty in locking them down for the sort of multi-picture deals the a shared universe demands. Who do you think WB would have an easier time signing on for six films (3 solos and 3 JL films)? Jake Gyllenhaal or Tom Cullen?

Plus you have the benefit of a fresh face coming into the role and assuming ownership over it without carrying any baggage from a higher celebrity status.

Last edited:
Yeah, the pieces all fit, IMO. Cullen has the right look, has proven that he can play intense characters, and he's had some prominent roles despite not being close to a household name. And he's only 32 (according the wikipedia, anyway) so they wouldn't have to worry about finding a replacement in a few years if it all goes well.

Now, all that said, who knows if he's even on WB's radar. I do have to admit though that it would be pretty cool if they took notice of him because he was in a show called Knightfall.

Well he is almost through at Marvel...

A little young, no? He's like McKenzie's age over on Gotham.

Gordon really probably should be a couple decades older than Bruce.

What is the obsession with trying to land an actor who is pushing 50?

Jake Gyllenhaal is the perfect age. Batman in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"