The Batman Spoiler Discussion Thread

I’m not going to write it off just yet. It sounds great regardless. I just don’t believe we’re gonna get a sizzle reel after a short scene, with the whole cast. Then some shot of Batman watching over his city. But I have to say, that Gordon/Batman scene sounds very plausible. And the other bits of trailer info were simple enough that he could be telling the truth.

I am going to write it off because it's from 4chan and literally anybody could come up with something like that in 5 minutes.

Regardless if it's a fake, I love the idea of Gordan being forced to work a case with Batman before he completely trusts him.
Their relationship was basically non-existent in the early comics. It was Gordon and Bruce who were friends.

There are probably a lot of things Matt pulled from that earlier era. Not many creators mined there.

Their relationship was basically non-existent in the early comics. It was Gordon and Bruce who were friends.

There are probably a lot of things Matt pulled from that earlier era. Not many creators mined there.

That's interesting, I was not aware of that. My comic knowledge of Batman is pretty weak. Year One is my starting point.

Are there any specific runs you would maybe suggest reading from the early years?

That's interesting, I was not aware of that. My comic knowledge of Batman is pretty weak. Year One is my starting point.

Are there any specific runs you would maybe suggest reading from the early years?
The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are good early career comics that will also influence this film in a large capacity.

Regardless if it's a fake, I love the idea of Gordan being forced to work a case with Batman before he completely trusts him.

Right. I like their evolving dynamic in Batman Begins, where Gordon doesn't know what to think about him at first, then decides to start helping him, but this could give that initial uneasy alliance more depth/development.

Honestly, not really. The writing and art style back then was...rough.

You're better off starting at the 70s, which is when quality was more consistent and more in line with the current iteration of the character.

The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are good early career comics that will also influence this film in a large capacity.

I recently read The Long Halloween and loved it. It may be my favorite Batman comic I've read so far. I purchased Dark Victory with it, but I decided to jump forward to Court of Owls which I am really enjoying so far.

I recently read The Long Halloween and loved it. It may be my favorite Batman comic I've read so far. I purchased Dark Victory with it, but I decided to jump forward to Court of Owls which I am really enjoying so far.
You need to read Dark Victory. I think I actually prefer it to Long Halloween in some ways. The reinterpretation of Robin's origin is just excellent... Especially with how Loeb frames Robin filling a whole in the heart of a devastated, lonely Bruce after losing Harvey.

You need to read Dark Victory. I think I actually prefer it to Long Halloween in some ways. The reinterpretation of Robin's origin is just excellent... Especially with how Loeb frames Robin filling a whole in the heart of a devastated, lonely Bruce after losing Harvey.
Oh, for sure. The Long Halloween is a classic, but Dark Victory hits more notes as a Batman fan, if that makes sense. Tim Sale's art with the story makes it feel like it's own world.

And everyone's mileage is going to vary but both stories are great. I think it comes down to whether or not your looking for stories/runs that were made for the trade paperback (like year one, dark victory, etc) or something a little more serialized/deeper into comics.

If you're looking for individual runs, all of Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo's run is good and easy to jump into, or if you're looking for something a little more meta/bat-god esque Grant Morrison's run from like 10 years ago in the main Batman title is good.

Gotham Central barely features Batman himself but is a must read. As said above, Snyder and Capullo's run is a great starting place.

If you're a big B:TAS fan and are okay with the campy overwriting of old school comics dig up Strange Apparitions or see if you can find any of Denny O'Neil's stuff (not sure how well collected that is this these days, though). Paul Dini himself did a wonderful, very self-contained run about ten years ago that would be another great thing to pick up if you're just getting into the comics.

A lot of people slept on Haunted Knight.

The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and Haunted Knight are easily some of my favorite stories ever.

LH is good but rips off the Godfather a little too much. There’s not that many original ideas there for me to worship that graphic novel. Especially when adapting to the big screen, it’s better to cherry pick from those two Loeb/Sale stories.

Just finished up reading Court of Owls today and plan to jump into Dark Victory tonight. One of the few positives of COVID is the amount of time I have to read now.

Gotham Central barely features Batman himself but is a must read. As said above, Snyder and Capullo's run is a great starting place.

If you're a big B:TAS fan and are okay with the campy overwriting of old school comics dig up Strange Apparitions or see if you can find any of Denny O'Neil's stuff (not sure how well collected that is this these days, though). Paul Dini himself did a wonderful, very self-contained run about ten years ago that would be another great thing to pick up if you're just getting into the comics.

Might be a bit controversial to say on a comic book forum, but BTAS is the definitive Batman for me. Anything that possibly inspired it would interest me greatly. I also don't mind a lot of the silver age cheese. The 60s/70s run of Spider-man comics are my favorite.

Might be a bit controversial to say on a comic book forum, but BTAS is the definitive Batman for me. Anything that possibly inspired it would interest me greatly. I also don't mind a lot of the silver age cheese. The 60s/70s run of Spider-man comics are my favorite.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"