The BATSUIT Thread

The Arkham sequence from Begins is probably still my favourite Batman set piece. It just gets so much about the character right and filled with epic moments and shots, even if the hand to hand fighting is obscured a little by Bourne style fast cuts.

I think the warehouse scene from BvS is vastly overrated around these parts. Yes, Bats is fast and fluid in the scene, but because of the poor characterization and story, it makes me feel nothing. Bats is also ridiculously brutal and never feels in jeopardy which reduces the stakes for me.

I had some issues w/ parts of the characterization as well, but overall I liked Batfleck as he was portrayed in BvS. And if I'm being honest, the sheer savagery of his fighting style notwithstanding, I still prefer it over the approach to Bale's combat scenes (where his would-be assailants seemed to just drop at the mere sight of him.) Nolan's a brilliant director--don't get me wrong--but fight choreography just isn't his strong point.

I had some issues w/ parts of the characterization as well, but overall I liked Batfleck as he was portrayed in BvS. And if I'm being honest, the sheer savagery of his fighting style notwithstanding, I still prefer it over the approach to Bale's combat scenes (where his would-be assailants seemed to just drop at the mere sight of him.) Nolan's a brilliant director--don't get me wrong--but fight choreography just isn't his strong point.

Nolan's fight choreography is definitely a weakness, there is no disputing that. I was just saying that for me that good fight choreography doesn't make a scene good in and of itself. Also, I feel like Snyder made Batman overpowered. There is no jeopardy or tension in the scene. Snyder doesn't build any tension, Batman just steamrolled over everyone. He even takes a point blank shot to the head and shrugs it off. Also, according to Luther's instructions, why didn't they just kill Martha and run off as soon as they heard Batman starting to work his way through the lower floor?

I feel like the Russos did a much better job of accomplishing a dramatic and tense fight with a superhero against a group with things like the elevator fight in Winter Soldier. Cap comes off as badass but still in jeopardy at times.

Nolan's fight choreography is definitely a weakness, there is no disputing that. I was just saying that for me that good fight choreography doesn't make a scene good in and of itself. Also, I feel like Snyder made Batman overpowered. There is no jeopardy or tension in the scene. Snyder doesn't build any tension, Batman just steamrolled over everyone. He even takes a point blank shot to the head and shrugs it off. Also, according to Luther's instructions, why didn't they just kill Martha and run off as soon as they heard Batman starting to work his way through the lower floor?

I feel like the Russos did a much better job of accomplishing a dramatic and tense fight with a superhero against a group with things like the elevator fight in Winter Soldier. Cap comes off as badass but still in jeopardy at times.
The sense of motion, weight of the hits, and speed and creativity in the Batfleck fight scenes is superior on those elements than in the Nolan films... but the Nolan films do better storytelling for its biggest fights, especially the fights with Bane, and especially especially the first fight with Bane.

Like, if I could break it down, the first Bane fight in TDKR has great “wrestling psychology,” dialogue, and its own plot arc to build tension, even for fans who know it’s inevitable outcome before it even starts. Stuff like Bane catching Batman’s lunch and hitting him with his own fist, selling the physical hits less than Batman’s one burn (the “you were excommunicated by a gang of psychopaths” line), giving mini-“promos” throughout to explain why he feels like the superior fighter, and the clear storytelling decision to make it clear that Bruce’s body had to be broken before his spirit could be... those are things that make the fight scene rewatchable as a scene.

But the fluidity, sheer speed, and physics of the BvS warehouse fight are clearly superior to those elements in the Nolan films. Batman seems to move more naturally, more pragmatically, and the cinematography is clearly superior in terms of conveying the speed and power of Batman.

If Reeves has any major fight scenes in mind, we should hope he’s aiming for a merging of the strengths of both of the last two incarnations of the character. Graceful but frantic choreography, madcap energy and brutality, but strong storytelling, and genuine tension.

For me... to kind of go along with my desire for a more utilitarian and beat up Bat-suit, I think it’s would be a killer matchup with something that was like a juiced up version of the hallway fight from Oldboy. Something where Batman is clearly a superior fighter, and Penguin or someone has thrown enough henchmen at him that his gadgets run dry, he gets tired, takes a few hits... and still drives a guy half-way through a wall, and walks painfully but powerfully away like a pissed-off demon.

Ehhh I'm not sure thaf that fits Batman's character. I don't want to see him overwhelmed by street thugs when he should have control of the situation at all times. If Batman is constantly getting beat up, he may as well be reimagined as an ex Police officer with military background who took a couple of lessons in Jujitsu

Ehhh I'm not sure thaf that fits Batman's character. I don't want to see him overwhelmed by street thugs when he should have control of the situation at all times. If Batman is constantly getting beat up, he may as well be reimagined as an ex Police officer with military background who took a couple of lessons in Jujitsu
No, the best Batman stories, especially about his early years, have Batman be human and make mistakes during fights, such as this example Year One:
Batman%2B-%2BYear%2BOne%2Bp35.jpg

Similarly, in Prey, Batman often underestimates Catwoman's speed and gets caught off guard several times. That is the whole point of Batman being a superhero without superpowers. Yes, he is extremely capable and well-trained, but he is only human, with human strength, speed, and reflexes. Those peak human abilities can only take him so far. Therefore, when he faces a group or strong opponents, he should take hits and make mistakes. Which gives his other qualities, such as his iron will and determination, a chance to shine. He keeps getting up and going forward.

My wife and I binged like 20 BTAS episodes today and Batman never is depicted as having the unerring skills and overpowered abilities that some on here seem to be asking for.

I get where you’re coming from...

..But I’m also remembering stuff like:

-Dark Knight Returns having Batman get his yellow oval blasted off by a direct hit from a gun, and getting his face bloodied in a fight with the Mutant leader, before his brutal beatdowns with Joker and Superman.

-Mask of the Phantasm having Batman get concussed, busting his ribs, and losing his cowl and cape to escape cops before getting cut up and bloodied again fighting Joker.

-Batman clearly getting pushed to the limit in the Nolan films, flat out losing one fight to Bane, getting mauled by dogs as an unexpected x-factor he has to deal with, and even limping away from Harvey Dent’s body.

- Getting his mask sliced off and clearly having to pull out all the stops while dealing with Red Hood.

...And other examples. All that happened so that when he takes out a helicopter, finally defeats Joker, catches up to Joker on a Jetpack and beats him, coming back from his defeat by Bane and winning their rematch, and managing to finally subdue his wayward ex-Robin... it has more weight and dramatic payoff.

I don’t want Batman getting his ass handed to him every night, and I don’t want him getting into brawls as often as, say Daredevil. 90% of the time he’s wearing the suit, he should really only get mildly winded and a little sore afterwards.

But that 10% where he does everything right and things still get out of his control and he has to reassert himself brutally... that’s the stuff that makes him scarier.

I don’t want him wading through armies of ninjas, or through whole mobs, without breaking a sweat. If he’s facing armies and mobs in the first place, that means that he was in a situation he couldn’t strategically manipulate to his satisfaction, and that’s where a writer can inject some drama into a scene and make the audience empathize with him a little more as a human while still fearing and loving him as a near demi-god of combat.

-Dark Knight Returns having Batman get his yellow oval blasted off by a direct hit from a gun, and getting his face bloodied in a fight with the Mutant leader, before his brutal beatdowns with Joker and Superman.

-Mask of the Phantasm having Batman get concussed, busting his ribs, and losing his cowl and cape to escape cops before getting cut up and bloodied again fighting Joker.

-Batman clearly getting pushed to the limit in the Nolan films, flat out losing one fight to Bane, getting mauled by dogs as an unexpected x-factor he has to deal with, and even limping away from Harvey Dent’s body.

- Getting his mask sliced off and clearly having to pull out all the stops while dealing with Red Hood.

...And other examples. All that happened so that when he takes out a helicopter, finally defeats Joker, catches up to Joker on a Jetpack and beats him, coming back from his defeat by Bane and winning their rematch, and managing to finally subdue his wayward ex-Robin... it has more weight and dramatic payoff.

I don’t want Batman getting his ass handed to him every night, and I don’t want him getting into brawls as often as, say Daredevil. 90% of the time he’s wearing the suit, he should really only get mildly winded and a little sore afterwards.

But that 10% where he does everything right and things still get out of his control and he has to reassert himself brutally... that’s the stuff that makes him scarier.

I don’t want him wading through armies of ninjas, or through whole mobs, without breaking a sweat. If he’s facing armies and mobs in the first place, that means that he was in a situation he couldn’t strategically manipulate to his satisfaction, and that’s where a writer can inject some drama into a scene and make the audience empathize with him a little more as a human while still fearing and loving him as a near demi-god of combat.

Bingo, that is one of my problems with Snyder's approach to it. Batman should be actively strategizing and avoiding big dust-ups when he can. One of the tropes of the Burton years that I liked was the build-up when he would be faced with some seemingly skilled martial arts opponent and he would take them out with a single strike. I feel like Snyder would want to turn every single one of those situations into a big setpiece one-on-one brawl. The warehouse fight in BvS felt like Bats had no strategy. He just charged in head first after deactivating their guns. While Nolan sucked at actual hand to hand choreography, I loved a lot of the general staging of the Prewitt Building set piece in The Dark Knight. I loved the inventive idea of the Joker setting up his goons and the hostages as having switched attire and how Batman has to take out Joker's goons while protecting the doctors from the SWAT team who thinks they are bad guys. Things like Batman using his grapnel gun to pull docs out of the line of fire of police snipers or chaining the SWATS together were great ideas, even if the execution was at times lacking.

If Reeves can give us Nolan's thoughtful approach to action set pieces and pair it with first rate superhero choreography (a la the Russos and Cap) (Snyder is too low a bar for me), I don't think we can ask for more.

No, the best Batman stories, especially about his early years, have Batman be human and make mistakes during fights, such as this example Year One:
Batman%2B-%2BYear%2BOne%2Bp35.jpg

Similarly, in Prey, Batman often underestimates Catwoman's speed and gets caught off guard several times. That is the whole point of Batman being a superhero without superpowers. Yes, he is extremely capable and well-trained, but he is only human, with human strength, speed, and reflexes. Those peak human abilities can only take him so far. Therefore, when he faces a group or strong opponents, he should take hits and make mistakes. Which gives his other qualities, such as his iron will and determination, a chance to shine. He keeps getting up and going forward.

My wife and I binged like 20 BTAS episodes today and Batman never is depicted as having the unerring skills and overpowered abilities that some on here seem to be asking for.
To be fair I don't think Batman TAS is a good indication of how Batman should fight at all. The animation while great was still limited that all the fights shown there were clunky because choreographing more elaborate fights were Batman is a total badass would've been significantly more expensive at that time.

I do agree that he should still struggle tho.

Even the best fighter in the world, the one with the most knowledge, the most strength, the best reflexes, will still struggle against several opponents with weapons because, well, being a human sucks.

Batman should be a badass. He should be able to fight multiple opponents, he should be "the most dangerous man in the world"... but at the end of the day, he's still just a man. And men will always have weaknesses inherent to their biology.

Make him peak human, make him the most skilled fighter in the world, but make him still human. Make the fights gritty, grounded.

I guess you're right

Most of Batman's work he probably doesn't take much damage as he approaches and strategiizes Again go back and check how Telltale did this. When he gets ambushed or surprised its a different story.

I wonder what logo Reeves will go with assuming it's not the yellow emblem. I think it'll be closer to the Finger/Kane emblem, at least based on the logo on the screenplay

The warehouse fight in BvS felt like Bats had no strategy. He just charged in head first after deactivating their guns.

Ehhh…not really. Strategywise...

-He takes out the outer gunners with The Batwing.

-He came in a floor above/below the others.

-He dropped the floor out from under a good portion of the thugs.

-He deactivitates/destroys their guns.

-He uses the rifle of the nearest thug to send them all diving for cover.

-He then isolates and takes out key threats first; newly arrived rifleman, man with grenade.

-He uses two of the hanging thugs to take out the grenade-wielding one.

-He uses the thug’s movements and prone forms against others during the fight.

Not only does he have a pre-battle strategy, there's a pretty clear, logical flow to what he's doing physically, and the actual battle seems to have some strategy to it, in the way he prioritizes threats, turns already defeated opponents into obstacles for others, systematically takes on the remaining threats, etc.

The last time we saw a live action Batman use his surroundings as well against his opponents was probably BATMAN.

I'd like the suit to be both tactical, yet simple. With a slight touch of Lee Bermejo's armoured look, but mixed with David Mazzucchelli's finer silhouette. And for it to be slightly scratched and damaged, in the vein of the live action Deadpool suits (but without it being a mere copy).
Either all black or gray and black. No blue. No white lenses. And not looking like it would/could house an Iron Man-like hub.

The Bat-insignia on the Noel suit is way too big and obtrusive for my taste. And while the updated version, as depicted in Batman Damned, is something of an improvement, I'd still prefer a more streamlined costume altogether.

EEqEPzHVUAY1yjJ (1).jpg

I honestly think we're gonna get something like this edition of the Daredevil series suit

Ehhh…not really. Strategywise...

-He takes out the outer gunners with The Batwing.

-He came in a floor above/below the others.

-He dropped the floor out from under a good portion of the thugs.

-He deactivitates/destroys their guns.

-He uses the rifle of the nearest thug to send them all diving for cover.

-He then isolates and takes out key threats first; newly arrived rifleman, man with grenade.

-He uses two of the hanging thugs to take out the grenade-wielding one.

-He uses the thug’s movements and prone forms against others during the fight.

Not only does he have a pre-battle strategy, there's a pretty clear, logical flow to what he's doing physically, and the actual battle seems to have some strategy to it, in the way he prioritizes threats, turns already defeated opponents into obstacles for others, systematically takes on the remaining threats, etc.

The last time we saw a live action Batman use his surroundings as well against his opponents was probably BATMAN.

Batman vs the SWAT team in TDK?

The placement of the ears matter, too.

Affleck's were too far forward-in the middle. Bale had wonderful placement and length... for his suit. Just put shorter ears towards the back on this new suit. Middle only works well in the comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"