The BATSUIT Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Boom, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

2. chintai80 oh hi.

the trailers proved all the battinson suit detractors wrong! with a capital W!

( though i still think the cowl does look weird in certain angles)

3. Rick190293 Registered

Batfleck’s stunt looked better than him in the movie, for real :funny: stuntman was slimmer and fit the suit greatly. At least in those SS bts shots. Regarding battinson, I think it’s the same as Nolan’s. Under the right ambience/light, is great. But Pattinson’s execution might be a little better, imo.

4. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I don't know, it could also be a change in who is talking. Which is to say, did people actually change their mind, or did the number of Snyder fans advocating for the Snyder suit as the best ever simply decrease as they wandered away?

chintai80 likes this.
  5. craigaat World's Greatest Spy

The suit is growing on me but I'm still not really a fan of armoured Batsuits.

6. Rick190293 Registered

I wasn't expected the all armoured again. Batfleck's standard suit was the right path for me, still my favorite live action batsuit, and I'll be happy if Reeves take its route with the next suit.
    Still, I love this one and it grew on me from 'okay' to 'amazing'.

7. Luke995 Registered

Same.
    Not a big fan or a too armored or too high-tech suit (one of the few things I don't like about Arkham game is this too; futuristic technology and ton of tech-gadgets... too much: the point of Batman isn't this, that's not Ironman).

But execution, materials and the way it changes depending on lightning... Oscar worthy.

Rick190293 likes this.
  8. DCnightwing23 Registered

Agreed, this Pattinson suit has grown on me quite a bit, and I have never been too fond of the longer ears.

ironman29758 and Rick190293 like this.
  9. Rick190293 Registered

I love the ears's length haha. The biggest complain for me was the collar. It felt so strange. Now I can't see the suit without it, it's unique and helps to differentiate it.

10. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Personally, the Batfleck suits just look dated to me now. Like the Snyder Supersuits, they just have a very artificial foam latex, rubber look that I don't care for. And no matter how many advances and refinements were made in the 20 years since Batman 89, the base technology and construction just remains heavily restrictive and limiting.

After Nolan, I was also looking forward to doing away with an armoured suit, but I am totally fine with it as executed here. I love the military-style fabric bodysuit and I would much rather retain that, even if it means plating to keep the plating, than to return to the very artificial look of the previous rubber/latex suits.

11. Rick190293 Registered

I'm fine with the execution here too, the tactical look is very fresh, and for the first time, they priorized utility over fashion.
    Ben's batsuit needed lots of adjustments, but I enjoyed that direction too. Guess I'm not too hard to please haha (I liked Batgirl suit :grin:)

TheBagman and ironman29758 like this.
  12. Lando81 Harmenian

I'm glad we got the BvS Batfleck suit just to see Jim Lee art basically brought to life. The way I see this new suit is as a natural adaptation of David Mazzucchelli's Year One and Tim Sale's Long Halloween designs. Obviously not as fantastical as they could be but very obviously borrowing from them and *cringe* the Arkham games when it makes sense.

TheBagman and ironman29758 like this.
  13. Bruce Wizayne Registered

Neither am I! I guess out of the armored suits thus far, I.E. TDK/TDKR (which was a MASSIVE downgrade from BB) and the JL suit, which was just plain gaudy and repulsive, I’d prefer Pattinson’s 100%! However I think less is more. Obviously Dead End’s suit left something to be desired and seemed a bit amateur but it was nice seeing a more basic suit and that cowl was BEAUTIFUL! I’d like if in the future they try their hand at that without ridiculous amounts of padding *Cough* Affleck! *Cough*

ironman29758 likes this.
  14. titansupes Registered

I want armour, but not the metal of this one, or even the rubber/plastic of the previous versions... I'm picturing something like smooth, segmented and sculpted kevlar pads for the bodysuit, and leather for the cowl/cape/gloves/boots.

15. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

[​IMG]
    Once the tapered-in neck(for movement) became standard, the Zorro collar works to reference the old Gothic and pulp silhouettes, Dracula - Zorro collars, and for a more strapped together starting out Batman, they were going to get a nod in somewhere. :cwink:

#8915 Mondragon, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    Rick190293 and ironman29758 like this.
  16. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

17. Boom I got nothin'

Remember when we were all freaked out about his sideburns showing?

Lencho01 and cryptic name like this.
  18. J.Drangal Registered

Yep ! And I was probably the only one who didn't care at all aha.
    I thought it might add to the roughness of the character, like the stubble.
    Too focus, no time for a shave or a haircut...

Like me.

19. Sawyer High King

Hot damn…

TheBagman likes this.
  20. SquirrelBallZ Registered

The suit isn’t that armoured or hi tech because only his torso and chest are overtly armoured looking and covered otherwise he just has semi-baggy looking clothes on that is almost uniformed looking. His gauntlets are less refined and are simply straps and his weird quiver things, I don’t know what those are, but he usually has gauntlets that are used for deflecting objects, and they’re not necessarily armour. It makes sense that he would have bulletproof cloths and materials on if Batman were to be real, it’s the most plausible explanation for his continuous survival against the criminal underworld.

Also, has anyone noticed he channels Keaton a bit with some of his movements? I find it interesting they’ve managed to do that while the movie doesn’t have really German themes and tones as much as Burtons, which makes me chuckle slightly. I just find it really cool though all the different styles and tones appearing in the trailers of the film. Overall the most prevalent is a very early 90s style, but there’s some others in there as well. I find myself wanting to eagerly see the film simply for how they handle all of different subject matters, and themes all in a rather subtle way. I’m just really, really excited to see how it all plays out.

I just meant though it’s interesting to see a performance inspired by Keaton’s Batman while not being heavily marred in the kind of very German inspired settings that Burton had used. They managed to do this but in a different way.

Theres also this very military type inspired vibe to the way the suit was designed and its style which is interesting and says and explores even more topics. It’s true though there’s kind of a futuristic film noir cyberpunk design to the set pieces and decor, or just lighting in the trailers which is just another cinematic layer of the film I suppose.

#8920 SquirrelBallZ, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    TheBagman and Rick190293 like this.
  21. SquirrelBallZ Registered

As a side note I thought it was always left as very unstated and ambiguous whether or not Batman wears armour but in general it’s usually stated that he does the odd time DC went in that direction, so it makes sense Batman 89’s is like almost the closet depiction from the comic. On the surface he just looks like he could be this big body building guy wearing tight leather, but instead it’s somewhat of a mold and hardened armour, which, is a little weird but you can make different conclusions as to why he would do that.

Batman begins was very futuristic and cyberpunk/technoir but no one has ever pointed that out or complained. The designs and style are very similar to Batman begins. I guess the more I think about it, the chest, and neck all have this very understated future look, but in going with themes, the cowl is very Adam West Batman thus a mixture of old and new, retro and future?

Sorry writing on phone hence I had to make two posts some glitches here.

#8921 SquirrelBallZ, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    TheBagman likes this.
  22. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Darkness (he/him/his)

My rule of thumb is that the comic batsuit is essentially armor that doesn't look like armor. This fairly recent issue of Batman kinda solidified that for me
    upload_2022-1-19_10-48-6.png upload_2022-1-19_10-48-31.png upload_2022-1-19_10-49-54.png

23. chintai80 oh hi.

the 1940 issue where it's joker's first appearance also established that batman wears a bullet-proof vest underneath the costume.

[​IMG]

TheBagman and Vigilant like this.
  24. SquirrelBallZ Registered

Well yes that’s true.

I think the whole idea of his foes only aiming mostly for his bat insignia, that is like some weird way of explaining overly complicated comic lore and almost metaphorical I would say. That is kind of close to Keaton’s first suit though, I don’t think it was intentionally supposed to look like body armour at a glance during the night. I just realized though that when you think about it his movie suits don’t really make sense they are like rubber sculpted muscle suits why does he sculpt muscles on to them? but it would look a little strange if he didn’t I guess.

25. The Shape In the shadows

Let's be real, though. The exposed sideburns would have been annoying.

Boom and OnLeatherWings like this.