The BATSUIT Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Boom, Apr 13, 2016.

1. SquirrelBallZ Registered

But yeah on another note I have thought that maybe Batman is more closer to being somewhat of a tank at times, does anyone else agree?

TheBagman likes this.
  2. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

Feels like an over-explanation when the answer is just basic logic, center-mass is the largest target, so most people aim there.

3. SquirrelBallZ Registered

But yeah on another note I have thought that maybe Batman is more closer to being somewhat of a tank at times, does anyone else agree?
    ”they all aim at his bar insignia” that makes me laugh considering the significance of the thing.

TheBagman likes this.
  4. Boom I got nothin'

This effing cowl.

[​IMG]

5. Rick190293 Registered

Still find the shape a little odd haha, but I like it now. We're getting along.:D

6. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

I love how the cowl resembles a human skull.

7. cryptic name No Limits

I love how the structure of it really changes his face shape. I can buy it being a legit disguise.

8. antsman41 Unseen Arkham Prisoner

...having a thin cowl finally is so refreshing. It still baffles me how the BvS cowl was 3" thick - even more thick than Keaton's cowl was.

This cowl may not be fully collapsible like a fabric (probably impossible to make) cowl ala BTAS. But, this is the closest we've ever go to it.

#8933 antsman41, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  9. jrmtz543 Registered

I think one idea behind Keaton's sculpted armor was that villains were unsure if he was human, and this added to that illusion. Once everyone knew he was a man, he went with the armor version in Returns.

The sculpted muscles are also meant to invoke some of the Ancient Greek armor that had these features.

10. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what do we figure the armor material underneath the cowl supposed to be?

11. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

I assume it is some sort of carbon fibre/ceramic, like the plating on the bodysuit.

TheBagman, Jermobooka and BatLobster like this.
  12. Boom I got nothin'

You have no idea how stoked I am that we have finally moved on from a rubber cowl. Outside of having a fully-enveloping cape, this was arguably my biggest want.

13. chintai80 oh hi.

the nose looks awkward in some angles, but this is just a minor gripe, because in most other angles, it looks like THE BEST movie bat-cowl.

the more i look at it and seeing it in motion, the more it's becoming my favorite bat-suit.

it just takes you some getting used to at first since it is so different from what has come before.

14. WayneMB Registered

it's because the nose isn't overtly pointy. it's more of a flat, bandaid looking one. but i bet he'll upgrade that and we will end up with an incredible upgraded cowl.

TheBagman and chintai80 like this.
  15. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

You know what it looks like?
    A9D85577-C3E2-4CA3-B1DB-777FDB1D7DB6.jpeg

TheBagman, WayneMB and C Prometheus like this.
  16. Boom I got nothin'

17. The Shape In the shadows

The boots are one of the weaker elements of the suit. Looking forward to the return of the pointy nose in a future film, because this one definitely does look strange and flat in certain angles.

Chip Chipperson likes this.
  18. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

They look like combat boots with a leather sleeve over the ankle to cover up the laces and appear longer.

19. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I almost feel like the square nose feels like an intentional design choice to make the suit feel a bit more awkward and clunky to suggest a young Batman who's still figuring stuff out. That + the Adam West vibes of the cowl really give me that impression.

TheBagman and Vigilant like this.
  20. Boom I got nothin'

I think it's a nod to Adam West and nothing more.

I'd prefer the sharper nose if given the choice, but I'd be fine if it stayed this way.

21. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

The boots are some of the best. Frank Miller creaming in his doc martins

Jermobooka and DKDetective like this.
  22. cryptic name No Limits

I think the boots are really cool.

23. The Shape In the shadows

Yes, I should have clarified. The boots themselves are cool. The leather sleeve looks cheap and awkward. But again, that was probably the intention.

24. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Oh, I hear and feel ya. It has been one of my biggest wants. When someone posted comparison shots of all of the Batsuits from the serials to Battison in the general thread, I commented that this suit, especially the cowl feels like the sort of leap forward upgrade that we got from West to Keaton. When laid out side by side, this cowl makes it extremely clear just how artificial, rubbery, and costume-y all of the cowls from Keaton to Affleck really look.

Although in a perfect world, I agree that I would prefer a sharper, pointer nose, I'm not sure if it is possible with this type of cowl construction and the shape of Rob's own nose. This cowl is constructed of a much thinner material and has completely open nostrils. From what we can see of Pattinson's performance, I assume the open nostrils, in addition to being more comic accurate, are a massive quality of life upgrade for the actor. The previous rubber cowl actors, all had mouth breather syndrome, especially Bale, which Battinson seems to avoid completely.

The previous cowls were able to have that pointy shape in large part due to their thickness. It gave them the ability to depart as much as they chose from the actor's actual nose shape. This cheat was hidden in large part due to the closed nostrils, which hide that the cowl sculpt had a V shaped nose (from below) even if the actor had a C or D shaped nose. it would look really weird to have an open nose tip with that degree of build-up.

Although Pattinson has a pointy-ish nose, he does have a bit of a wider bridge and tip. I suspect the flatter nose cowl tip is a conceit to the shape of Pattinson's own nose:
    [​IMG]
    As much I would like like a pointier nose, I doubt it is going to change for practical reasons.

25. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<