The Better General Ross: Sam Elliott vs. William Hurt

Warhammer

Half Monk, Half Hitman
Reaction score
- Who was the better General Ross? Sam Elliott from Hulk or William Hurt from The Incredible Hulk?

I'd have to say Sam Elliott was the better General Ross. Granted, both are different takes/portrayals of General Ross. However, Sam Elliott's Ross struck me more of a stern, powerful leader. William Hurt's Ross struck me as a huge *****e bag.

Hehe, actually, I'm kind of even on this one. Both of them had the look.

I think I'll go with Elliott. He could have delivered the "It's because you're my daughter that you're not in handcuffs" line a lot better.

As far as I'm concerned, though, I had no problems with the full cast.

Sam Elliott by a mustachioed mile. Not only in the performance, but in the development of the character (the writers' job). William Hurt is a fantastic actor (they both are, really), but Ross fit Elliott like a latex glove.

Yeah, Elliott's Ross was written and developed better. Both men are fantastic actors, though.

:up:

Sam Elliott, definitely. The line about "locking Banner away for the rest of his natural life" was a million times better than the similar line in TIH.

Nothing against Hurt, though, he did a fine job. It's just that Sam Elliott is the man.

I loved Elliot, but Hurt impressed me. Hurt reminded me of the comic's a bit more.

I see alot of people saying Elliot, but the polls show differently. I'm kinda even on this one.

- Who was the better General Ross? Sam Elliott from Hulk or William Hurt from The Incredible Hulk?

I'd have to say Sam Elliott was the better General Ross. Granted, both are different takes/portrayals of General Ross. However, Sam Elliott's Ross struck me more of a stern, powerful leader. William Hurt's Ross struck me as a huge *****e bag.

I agree. They were two different kind of Ross. Elliot was an adversary for Hulk, which Ross is. Hurt's was pretty much a villain, which I don't think I like as much.
Hurt did a fine job, but I'd have to go with Elliot.

Yeah....In my Opinion Elliot was a great antagonist or rather catalyst to make Bruce go Hulk, but was kinda cartoony. I mean he is what you would expect to see if you adapted a cartoon general. But Hurt was alot more gritty and unpolished, he looked like a military man that had really gotten his hands dirty and had an unsettling feeling about him.

hurt, hands down. like i said in the betty thread, the main cast of the hulk came off very cold an unemotional. elliot pretty much played one note throughout the movie in that dry monotone voice no less. it was kind of annoying.

I am going to have to go with Sam Elliot on this one.

I'm going with Elliot. This new movie's biggest flaw is that at times it could get really over the top, 2-dimensional, and cheesy, and the Hurt portrayal of Ross is a perfect example of that. It isn't all his fault, a lot of it is the writing, but the rest is his acting.

This movie cheesy and over the top.....really. Compared to the acting and obvious cartoon taking notes from the the 03 TH this movie is like comparing batman 89 to batman and robin.......Ok maybe not Batman 09 more like Batman Returns to Batman and Robin.

I'm going with Elliot. This new movie's biggest flaw is that at times it could get really over the top, 2-dimensional, and cheesy, and the Hurt portrayal of Ross is a perfect example of that. It isn't all his fault, a lot of it is the writing, but the rest is his acting.

I felt the same as well. Elliot brought much more depth to the character, and the writing was better.

Back in 2003 I really liked Sam Elliot's General Ross, he looked and sounded perfect for the role. But I voted for William Hurt.

He worked well as a field commander type. He pulled of the role of a power hungry leader, one who would rather develop weapons and secret missions than to mend his relationship with his daughter. Hurt was the better General Ross, you'd love to hate him.

William Hurt is so emotionless in the majority of his roles and when he does do a good job it's nothing great. I felt he needed to be more not so blasé as he usuallly is. So I voted for Sam Elliot, his portayal was so strong.

This movie cheesy and over the top.....really. Compared to the acting and obvious cartoon taking notes from the the 03 TH this movie is like comparing batman 89 to batman and robin.......Ok maybe not Batman 09 more like Batman Returns to Batman and Robin.

258Troll_spray.jpg

Hurt came off better as a legitimate villain to me. Elliott came off more as a soldier defending his country. With the TIH version of Ross, it was very much a personal vendetta for him.

In HULK it seemed more like it was simply taking care of business.

I liked Elliott more.

Hurt wasn't bad on the role though.

The problem with Sam Elliots ross is he lacked something essential to playing Ross. BLUSTER. They call him THUNDERBOLT Ross for gods sake...he's supposed to be a blustering, yelling P'Oed army general, the kind you would NOT want to have to face if you screwed up. Elliot played a much more realistic, but also very cool and calculated Ross. Again, Hurts was closer to the spirit of the comic.

I love Sam Elliot but i felt that William Hurt was a better General Ross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"