Homecoming The Chronology of The MCU [Based On Spider-Man Homecoming]

Yeah but it clearly must be an error right? Because why would they deliberately change the timeline by like 3 years?

I just can't see any reason to or what they would gain by doing it so it must just be simply a genuine blunder, which like you said begs the question: how? In a movie this big with this much oversight how does that slip through?

Maybe the plans for Spider-Man somehow caused this. He was certainly going to put an end to their "in real time" - practise anyway, if Feige intends to keep him in high school for the whole trilogy.

And maybe they are going for some kind of "10 years" symbolism in Infinity War.

Maybe the plans for Spider-Man somehow caused this. He was certainly going to put an end to their "in real time" - practise anyway, if Feige intends to keep him in high school for the whole trilogy.
This is exactly what is happening.
Here are placements so far going just off what we have in the movies.

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk - unknown, but definitely before Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2 - 6 months after Iron Man

Thor - A few days after Iron Man 2

The Avengers - Anywhere from a few months after Iron Man 2 and Thor to a year and a half. As explained earlier, Fury's "last year" comment could be as little as a few months if The Avengers happens in spring and Thor happened in fall.

Civil War - a "few years" after The Winter Soldier, at least "2 years" (both quotes according to Falcon.) "Four years" after the collapse of SHIELD (TWS) according to General Ross. "Eight years" after Iron Man according to Vision.

Homecoming - two months after Civil War and eight years after The Avengers according to words on screen. Eight year figure is reinforced by Vulture's dialogue. Between Vision's dialogue in CW and the events in Homecoming, we know that Iron Man and The Avengers are separated by a year and a half at most.

Iron Man 3 anchors Avengers to 2012 while Homecoming anchors it to 2010. They are, however, factually incompatible. Many are viewing this as a mistake, but it's clear to me that this is a retcon. When their latest efforts like CW and Homecoming are in agreement, that indicates that forethought and planning was put into this change by the studio. The result will be that Homecoming 2 will come out the same year it takes place in-universe (2019.)
A lot of grandstanding so far...but I've yet to see anyone win the No-Prize here. All I need is something outside of Iron Man 3 (the patsy of the retcon) or ancillary materials like AoS or pamphlets.

I did have to make one adjustment to my understanding of the timeline. Props from Homecoming were advertising the 2018 Stark Expo, but an info tile also confirms 2017. This places Homecoming in fall of 2017, with the Stark Expo some months off in the future.

We also allegedly have the Homecoming novelization stating "five years" instead of eight years. Since novelizations are based on early versions of scripts, this indicates the change was intentional...more evidence that this was a retcon and not a mistake. I have not checked the Homecoming novelization myself though.

EDIT: I have now checked the book for myself and, yep, they explicitly say five years. This was a retcon.

Last edited:
Year 0 - Tony reveals he is Ironman; 6 months later Ironman 2; Thor saves New Mexico

Year 1 - Cap defrosted; Avengers Assemble

Year 2 - Dark World

Year 3 - Winter Soldier

Year 4 - Avengers officially formed

Year 5

Year 6 - Age of Ultron

Year 7 - Antman

Year 8 - Civil War, Dr. Strange ; Ragnarok

Year 9 - Homecoming (8 years from Avengers)

Year 10 - Black Panther and Infinity War ???????

Simplified

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"