The Congressman Paul Ryan Thread

Even though I generally dislike Paul Ryan, he does earn my admiration for wanting to cut social programs across the board, even medicare, social security and other seniors' programs.

The seniors' lobby is really one of the most selfish and harmful voting blocs out there; they will support cutting anything that doesn't benefit them, but will cry foul when it's one of theirs on the chopping block. I admire Ryan for daring to shoot those sacred cows.

Even though I generally dislike Paul Ryan, he does earn my admiration for wanting to cut social programs across the board, even medicare, social security and other seniors' programs.

The seniors' lobby is really one of the most selfish and harmful voting blocs out there; they will support cutting anything that doesn't benefit them, but will cry foul when it's one of theirs on the chopping block. I admire Ryan for daring to shoot those sacred cows.

It is my understanding he wants to cut it all together. Johnson, on the otherhand, wants to cut medicare and medicaid by 43% each, and then block grant them to the states. So, the states can fund each themselves.

Old people deserve medicare. I'll be the same way when I'm old and angry. But it needs to be cut and given to the states, it is too expensive at the federal level now. If some states need short term help, that is fine.

How about Paul Ryan goes off and use P90X again, only thing he is good at it seeeeeeems.

I could see Medicaid and Medicare being handed over to the states as an option to reduce the impact on the Federal deficit.

Imagine too if Kennedy had lived for a second term there would be no medicaid and medicare causing this issue today...

I don't see either candidate touching the M word when it comes to reform

Last edited:
The fact that this thread is STILL only 4 pages long after all this time demonstrates just how UN-enthused everyone seems to be about this selection.

The fact that this thread is STILL only 4 pages long after all this time demonstrates just how UN-enthused everyone seems to be about this selection.

Not really. This particular forum really doesn't represent typical American political culture. I mean in our poll Gary Johnson is beating Romney for crying out loud!

I think Paul Ryan might be setting a trap.

Observe via DailyKosHow could this be?

Well both DailyKos and Romney are correct. Despite the weird Paradox.

It's very simple. It's called Double Counting accounting.

If you acknowledge Obama is not making cuts to Medicare, Ryan might go on the similar rant to Obama about the double counting. Thus the masking of the true cost of the Healthcare plan. This comes out of the debate, it will be bad.

On the other hand, if you do not counter cuts are being made, the whole argument of Ryan's plan cutting medicare is pretty moot, thus the Romney "lie".

It's basically a lie, that premises on another lie.
I told you so:

Blahous and Capretta: Exposing the Medicare Double Count
Perhaps the easiest way to understand this is to look at Social Security. If we generate $1 in savings within that program, then that's $1 that Social Security can spend later. If we also claimed this same $1 to finance a new spending program, we would clearly be adding to the total federal deficit. There has long been bipartisan understanding of this aspect of Social Security, which is why Congress's paygo rules prohibit using Social Security savings as an offset to pay for unrelated federal spending.

No such prohibition exists in the budget process against committing Medicare savings simultaneously to Medicare and to pay for a new federal program. It's this budget loophole, unique to Medicare, that gives the health law's spending constraints and payroll tax hikes the appearance of reducing federal deficits. But it is appearance, not reality.
If you have only $1 of income and are obliged to pay a dollar each to two different recipients, then you will have to borrow anothier $1. This is effectively what the health law does. It authorizes far more in spendng than it creates in savings.

How much more? Charles Blahous's study, "The Fiscal Consequences of the Affordable Care Act," published last month by the Mercatus Center, found that the health law would add over $340 billion to federal deficits over the next 10 years. Over the longer term, deficits would run into the trillions.
Ryan is trolling hard.

In other words, anyone who supports Obamacare must support cutting Medicare. Anyone against Medicare cut is against Obamacare. You can't have it both ways. If they borrow on the double count, every apologist has to admit they are lying to show Ryan is lying.

The Donut hole response you find has nothing to do with them using that accounting trick. The double counting is used in plain sight. Even if you are to take this explanation in plain value, it is stupid. So you cut more payments to doctors... and you know what will happen? Doctors stop taking medicare. Less access, all moot. How ****ing hard is that to understand?

"...we're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers..."

Since When Did Paul Ryan Become a Liar?

A week ago, Paul Ryan’s political assets included — alongside his chiseled torso, plainspoken Midwestern demeanor, and the unshakable loyalty of the entire Republican Party — a firm reputation for honesty among the mainstream media. That reputation has suffered a massive, swift erosion.

The thing about Ryan is that he has always resided in a counter-factual universe. He is a product of the hermetically sealed right-wing subculture. Many of the facts taken for granted by mainstream economists have never penetrated his brain.

Ryan’s entire career had been rooted in the “Reagan proved deficits don’t matter” wing of his party, and he spent the Bush administration consistently pushing for even more fiscally irresponsible policies than even George W. Bush could bear, and then spent the Obama administration relentlessly killing any effort to ameliorate those deficits. The genuine Paul Ryan is a man deeply devoted to reducing tax rates for Job Creators, and staunchly opposed to universal health insurance and other social spending. He is not a deficit hawk. The tension between Ryan’s policy goals and the persona he crafted was strained to the breaking point. When the press corps finally applied even the slightest pressure to it, it immediately and inevitably snapped.

I liked Ryan until he kept repeating the Medicare lie even after being called out on it by Fox News. Then he lied about his marathon time, and now he's lying some more about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/09/05/paul-ryan-explains-marathon-mistake/

“I hurt my back when I was in my mid-20s, so I had to stop running. So obviously, my perception of races and times was off,” Ryan said when asked why he told a radio show that he had run a marathon in under three hours. His actual time was closer to four. “I thought that was an ordinary time until my brother showed me a three-hour marathon is, you know, crazy fast. It’s just the fact that I did it 22 years ago.”

Does anyone buy this bunch of BS?

I also don't like the fact that he claims to be a deficit hawk, yet voted for Bush's big government spending for 8 years. You want a real deficit hawk, look at guys like Ron Paul who actually have a record of being against big spending their entire careers. Ryan is only against the spending when it's not his party doing it. He is a lying party hack. Nothing more.

Ryan: Don't interfere with legalized medical pot

http://news.yahoo.com/ryan-dont-interfere-legalized-medical-pot-025634169--election.html

DENVER (AP) — Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan says the federal government shouldn't interfere with states that have legalized medical marijuana.
The Wisconsin congressman tells KRDO-TV in Colorado Springs that he personally doesn't approve of medical marijuana laws. But he says that states should have the right to choose whether to legalize the drug for medical purposes.
In response to a reporter's question, Ryan said: "It's up to Coloradans to decide."
The interview was taped while Ryan campaigned this week in Colorado Springs and aired Friday.
Colorado is one of 17 states, plus the District of Columbia, that allow medical marijuana.
The Obama administration at first signaled that it wouldn't interfere with state-sanctioned marijuana distribution. But the Justice Department has since angered marijuana activists by shutting down dispensaries in California and Colorado.

Ok, I like the sound of that. Is this the first time a prominant Republican has taken that stance?

Ok, I like the sound of that. Is this the first time a prominant Republican has taken that stance?

Ron Paul was pro legalizing it. lol

As for Romney/Ryan, from the sounds of Romney's rhetoric he sounds like he would be for keeping marijuana illegal. It should be pointed out one of Romney's Superpac guys is a huge anti-drug guy

It should be pointed out I found this

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...l_marijuana_legalization_is_up_to_states.html

Ryan noted that the issue “is something that is not a high priority of ours.” A Ryan spokesman later emphasized that he agrees with Mitt Romney that marijuana should never be legalized.
I think Romney missed a huge chance to decriminalize drugs as a campaign point

-Pat Robertson a few month back came up saying that decriminalizing weed might not be a bad thing, so he does have somebody on the far right who he could use to back up his stance
-he can claim that blacks and latinos unfairly get charged for this giving him some brownie points that he cares about minorities and is trying to fight for their issues(not only could he win a few votes from those groups, he might win a few more votes from independent white voters who are turned off by the rhetoric use when the Republican's talk about minorities, at least this can make him seem much friendlier to minority issues)
-he can pull the old sates rights card(don't republicans hate big government)
-it could help him with the youth vote

Last edited:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...ul-ryan-did-nothing-at-soup-kitchen-photo-op/
Charity president: Paul Ryan “did nothing” at soup kitchen photo-op

The head of a charity in northeastern Ohio where Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan and his family were photographed cleaning dishes over the weekend said Monday that Ryan was not authorized to be on the premises and “did nothing” while there.

Brian J. Antag, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society in Youngstown, told the Washington Post that the Romney campaign had not asked to make the Saturday visit to the soup kitchen. He said that he runs an apolitical faith-based organization which has bylaws barring it from hosting political candidates, and that the visit jeopardized donations from private individuals.

“They showed up there and they did not have permission,” he said. “They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors.” Antag added that Ryan and his family “did nothing” while on the premises.

“He just came in here to get his picture taken at thedining hall,” he said.
Ryan was photographed cleaning “large metal pans that did not appear to be dirty” during a 15-minute visit, the Post previously reported.

I don't blame Ryan to be honest, this has the smell of Romney's campaign team, Ryan is caught between a rock and a hard place

He could have said no, that it's not the right thing to do. He didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"