The Dark Knight The Dark Knight General Discussion Thread

The fact that we were this close to not getting TDK at all has me completely unmoored.
I shudder to think of who WB would have gone with had Nolan not wanted to direct any more after Begins. Hypothetically speaking if he really didn't want to and someone like Matt Reeves or Denis Villeneuve (had they been as prominent then as they are now) were to carry the torch and direct TDK I think we'd have been in good hands but as it is I'm glad that Nolan not only stuck with TDK but also stuck the landing. TDKR has its flaws but it's still a very solid finale.

I shudder to think of who WB would have gone with had Nolan not wanted to direct any more after Begins. Hypothetically speaking if he really didn't want to and someone like Matt Reeves or Denis Villeneuve (had they been as prominent then as they are now) were to carry the torch and direct TDK I think we'd have been in good hands but as it is I'm glad that Nolan not only stuck with TDK but also stuck the landing. TDKR has its flaws but it's still a very solid finale.
No matter the issues it has, and it's a lot...

I can't not get emotional during;

- Alfred's scenes (sassy cave remarks / his retirement / Bruce's funeral)
- Bane breaking Bruce, starting with the gate closure
- Gordon getting mad at The Hothead about the Dent vow / finding out about Bruce being Batman

0cd7e5b4-b98a-48f0-a603-a00050da74ed_text.gif

:o

Bane is such an incredible villain, I will never understand how he was "divisive". Even just looking at that gif, it's like what Hardy is doing with his eyes is incredible and you can just instantly hear the voice. Iconic sh**.

Bane is such an incredible villain, I will never understand how he was "divisive". Even just looking at that gif, it's like what Hardy is doing with his eyes is incredible and you can just instantly hear the voice. Iconic sh**.
I think most of it is the voice. It's definitely a love it or hate it thing which I can totally understand even though I'm in the "love it" camp.

I think most of it is the voice. It's definitely a love it or hate it thing which I can totally understand even though I'm in the "love it" camp.
To be fair I saw the film with subtitles so I didn't have any issues but I watched the trailers and numerous parts of the film like a million times and I didn't have any issue understanding what he was saying. I think this whole thing is a bit overstated.

Jonah seemed very open to the idea of returning to Batman in this interview. This is consistent with something he said years back about wanting to revisit the character in a later part of his life.

Who knows…maybe some day, he’ll urge Chris not to be a chicken sh** once again. :upsidedown:

I highly doubt it, but it’s fun to live in that 1% “what if?” scenario every once in a while.

Jonah seemed very open to the idea of returning to Batman in this interview. This is consistent with something he said years back about wanting to revisit the character in a later part of his life.

Who knows…maybe some day, he’ll urge Chris not to be a chicken sh** once again. :upsidedown:

I highly doubt it, but it’s fun to live in that 1% “what if?” scenario every once in a while.

I'd be down but the thought of Bale's Bruce becoming Batman again makes me enormously sad. TDKR is such a healing, cathartic ending for him that Bruce becoming Batman again would feel like a relapse and not a heroic return. It's why their efforts at trying to get him back for The Flash's ending were so wrong headed, shallow and stupid.

Obviously the movie could be about that and be great. It just feels depressing on paper.

I'd be down but the thought of Bale's Bruce becoming Batman again makes me enormously sad. TDKR is such a healing, cathartic ending for him that Bruce becoming Batman again would feel like a relapse and not a heroic return. It's why their efforts at trying to get him back for The Flash's ending were so wrong headed, shallow and stupid.

Obviously the movie could be about that and be great. It just feels depressing on paper.

It’s pure pie in the sky stuff for me. Admittedly I think I just want to feel the feeling of “HOLY SH** FOURTH NOLAN BATMAN” announced, and the unthinkable levels of hype that would occur, the trailers, etc. Lol. I know it’s shallow, but just on a pure pop culture level that would be unreal to experience. I also think Nolan has only become stronger as a filmmaker post-Batman, so I’d just be so curious s to see what he could do with it now.

But yeah, story-wise, it’s hard to imagine a version that doesn’t totally undo the trilogy’s ending. I do suspect Chris is 100% done with it. He’s said as much. But maybe Jonah can revisit the character in another way some day. Seeing has he’s really really gone deep into the sci-fi space, I would love his take on a Batman Beyond type of story.

It’s pure pie in the sky stuff for me. Admittedly I think I just want to feel the feeling of “HOLY SH** FOURTH NOLAN BATMAN” announced, and the unthinkable levels of hype that would occur, the trailers, etc. I know it’s shallow, but just on a pure pop culture level that would be unreal to experience. I also think Nolan has only become stronger as a filmmaker post-Batman, so I’d just to see what he could do with it now.

But yeah, story-wise, it’s hard to imagine a version that doesn’t totally undo the trilogy’s ending. I do suspect Chris is 100% done with it. He’s said as much. But maybe Jonah can revisit the character in another way some day. Seeing has he’s really really gone deep into the sci-fi space, I would love his take on a Batman Beyond type of story.
Jonathan Nolan and Bale doing Batman Beyond would make me happy in ways I quite literally cannot articulate.

Jonathan Nolan and Bale doing Batman Beyond would make me happy in ways I quite literally cannot articulate.

It actually hurts a little to know how much of a long shot that still feels like, haha.

Ya know, with all these attempts at extending the Burton-verse whether it’s the new comics, The Flash, or the new novel that was just announced today…just gets me thinking that it may only be a matter of time before DC tries to do stuff like that for the Nolan-verse. Even if it’s just books and comics. Just can’t help but feel like I would much rather it be with a Nolan involved vs. not, if that were to ever happen.

To be fair I saw the film with subtitles so I didn't have any issues but I watched the trailers and numerous parts of the film like a million times and I didn't have any issue understanding what he was saying. I think this whole thing is a bit overstated.
Yeah, that stemmed from the IMAX prologue where people first complained that they couldn't understand him during the plane sequence so they redid some of the scene in ADR. I liked the original voice from the camrips I've seen but I did have difficulty understanding him at first. By comparison the final voice is much clearer but it's far more exaggerated. I love Hardy's Bane voice but I can definitely understand why some people think that the accent might be a little too much.

I don't think this will ever happen, especially with how reluctant Chris was to doing the sequels. The , when you factor in how satisfactory the ending to TDKR is, I honestly feel like it's best to leave well enough alone.

Now that being said, if the Nolan brothers, by some chance, agree to do it I trust them to have good reason for doing so and no matter what I say, I'd be more excited than I can put into words.

I don't think this will ever happen, especially with how reluctant Chris was to doing the sequels. The , when you factor in how satisfactory the ending to TDKR is, I honestly feel like it's best to leave well enough alone.

Now that being said, if the Nolan brothers, by some chance, agree to do it I trust them to have good reason for doing so and no matter what I say, I'd be more excited than I can put into words.

I agree. I just think it's interesting that Jonah gave an unequivocal "absolutely" when asked. He and Chris clearly feel differently about it.

But that said, I would also be thrilled if he worked on the character again in any capacity even if it wasn't specifically for another movie set in that universe. He clearly is a fan and I imagine has tons of unused ideas.

I agree. I just think it's interesting that Jonah gave an unequivocal "absolutely" when asked. He and Chris clearly feel differently about it.

But that said, I would also be thrilled if he worked on the character again in any capacity even if it wasn't specifically for another movie set in that universe. He clearly is a fan and I imagine has tons of unused ideas.
Oh absolutely. I do think Jonah clearly has ideas for what would come next, and I'm very curious how that woud play out. Who knows, maybe he can convince Chris years from now haha.

on a side note, I just finished Fallout. Already the best video game adaption ever.

Oh absolutely. I do think Jonah clearly has ideas for what would come next, and I'm very curious how that woud play out. Who knows, maybe he can convince Chris years from now haha.

on a side note, I just finished Fallout. Already the best video game adaption ever.

Oh nice! I just started the first episode last night and was having a lot of fun with it.

Oh nice! I just started the first episode last night and was having a lot of fun with it.
I'm honestly shocked at how good it is, but maybe I shouldn't be haha. Been a fan of Bethesdas games (elder scrolls, fallout, etc.) since 2002, so it's really satisfying to see one of those games adapted so well into live action. I think Jonah directed the first 3 episodes.

I'm pretty sure that's the footage on Bruce's monitor in the scene where Alfred is stitching him up in the first scene in the Bat bunker. When Alfred and Bruce start talking about Harvey and Alfred says "Are you interested in his character or his social circle?" and points at the monitor. It shows Harvey and Rachel walking away together from a cab.

Watched on the big screen again yesterday after 15 years... and what a blast. Lot of people with Batman's t-shirts, lots of laughs, and of course claps at the end. Not gonna lie, I almost teared up with Gordon's speech in the ending... how is this masterpiece still strong so many years later?
I don't think there'll be a better Batman movie ever. Not really. TDK is simply timeless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"