The Director of THOR 3

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/21/taika-waititi-on-shaking-up-thor-and-being-a-hollywood-outsider

“If someone asked, ‘What are your films like?’, the best I can come up with is that they’re, like, a fine balance between comedy and drama. And they deal mainly with the clumsiness of humanity.”
1000.jpg
“Crazier things happen to Thor than new hair.”

“I’ve always felt that I wanted to make a Marvel film ... I just want to make sure I’m not making an episode.”

“With Thor, I’m trying not to do any other things. ... There’d be nothing worse than the film not being as good as I think it’s going to be because I didn’t spend enough time on it. I don’t want my focus pulled away, as it usually is.”

Last edited:
As evidenced by his decision to set Ragnarok outside the Marvel universe – a ballsy move, given the size of the fandom and budget in question – Waititi is one to do things his own way.
Cool! Does this mean that the movie will instead take place in the Netflix/AoS universe? :sly:

A poster for The Hunt For The Wilderpeople.
A lot of cool details for those who have seen the movie.:yay:
huntforthewilderpeople-print-color.jpg
Here’s what George Bletsis - the illustrator - had to say about his creation:
“Hunt for the Wilderpeople is such a wonderful movie, and with this poster I wanted to make something that really captured the fun atmosphere, so I went with a playful style that messes with scale/perspective in order to pack as much energy in as I could. I used a colour palette that has a bit of a retro feel to it. The film reminded me of days spent playing in the woods as a kid, so l wanted to push that nostalgic feel. I also riffed on the colours used in the European comics I used to read when I was young. I thought something reminiscent of that era would not only suit the drawing style, but would further evoke the feel of a good old fashioned adventure!”

Last edited:
The man has soul, you can't deny it. I think his playful spirit will infect every frame of this film :up:

He is hilarious in person from what i have read. Definitely the most interesting of the MCU directors, not to offend the other guys who are pretty cool.

I gotta say that it bodes well for the movie that all the actors have only great things to say about Taika Waititi. Having a great relationship with the director brings always the best in the characters i think. People seem to also trust/respect his personality and flair as a director wich is reassuring. It's not by chance that Taika is getting so much good press, Marvel has in their hands a gem and if things go well then we could be in something really special.

At the oscars when he was nominated. :woot:
tumblr_oafp54q4aQ1rvebhro1_400.gif
tumblr_oafp54q4aQ1rvebhro2_400.gif
tumblr_oafp54q4aQ1rvebhro4_400.gif

Marvel has been stellar in finding great directors who were previously unknown or not very well know (Gunn, the Russo Bros, Taika), but they did goofed on the director for TDW, unfortunately.

Despite TW being a local hero in this country, I've never really got into his movies.

I mean, I enjoyed Boy (because I know people just like that from my time working in rural areas down here) and Wilderpeople is a good film but not really my cup of tea. What we do in the Shadows didn't do anything for me.

I didn't believe that TW was up to a big budget action superhero film, and I'm very pleased to say that it looks like I was totally wrong. If the trailer is a good indication of the film, it will be the best Thor film to date.

Looks like TW is not just up to it, but he's nailed it ! No doubt that will give the movie an extra boost down here, as the media love to hype up any connection New Zealand has to world events.

Good on ya TW !

This rotating shot from Wilderpeople is so cool
[YT]ztYy4RWRH2c[/YT]

Taika Waititi is Korg in Thor Ragnarok!

Korg.jpg

#InTaikaWeTrust
[YT]-gcK9DHqerc[/YT]

#InTaikaWeTrust
[YT]-gcK9DHqerc[/YT]

:funny:

And yet another one falls to the Blanchett charisma machine. :cwink: Seriously though, Taika is hilarous. I can't wait until the big final Ragnarok promotional run and premiere, imagine all of that incredible cast (+ Taika of course) doing interviews and appearances together. It's going to be an exciting time. :woot:

Kevin Feige

"Well, I think I would say it’s, and as people see more of Ragnarok, it’s a Taika tone more than a Guardians tone. He’s really adding a very unique point of view to it, but certainly the success of Guardians just boosted our confidence to continue to go in new, fun, weird directions, and I think that led to Doctor Strange and certainly, ultimately, leads to the things we’re doing in Infinity War."
https://moviepilot.com/p/kevin-feige-thor-ragnarok-guardians-of-the-galaxy-comparisons/4253326

Incredible how Taika had posted this on the 31st of March 2016! A year and 10 days later he releases the trailer with Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song as the soundtrack.
Ce6TXp4UsAEoXrq.jpg
And he also posted this on the 18th of March 2017. Robert Plant! Led Zeppelin's singer! He was hinting at this stuff all along...
8391bda0ff6afd910f8270c4a7b36f52.jpg
And now i have another theory related to one of his new posts.
He posted a video titled "Ragnalemon" of a lemon saying "Ragnarok" over and over. I think that lemon saying "Ragnarok" is a possible hint at a new Led Zeppelin song to be used for the next trailer. Or maybe i am just reaching... i guess we gotta wait and see. :woot:

[YT]Zyhu2ysqKGk[/YT]

Last edited:
Taika Waititi has a Jack Kirby poster in his office. The poster is called "Galactic Head" and a Escape from New York action figure.
I was really excited when Kevin [Feige] and the rest of Marvel jumped on board with the idea to use Kirby as a big influence in the design of the film. What’s really hard is staying authentic.
GalacticHead.jpg
[YT]3b8CP0LNM0g[/YT]

Last edited:
It makes me so happy that Taika is a big Kirby fan, you can see the Kirby influence all over the teaser trailer (right down to the black Kirby dots in the film's logo at the end!), I can't wait to see more in the whole film. Finally the greatest comic book artist ever is getting his due. :woot:

This rotating shot from Wilderpeople is so cool
[YT]ztYy4RWRH2c[/YT]
Moridin i acidentally found this article and voice over from Taika Waititi describing that scene in particular and how he accomplished it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/movies/taika-waititi-narrates-a-scene-from-hunt-for-the-wilderpeople.html

Very interesting stuff and quite inventive from his part. It was all one shot! I never thought he had done it the way he did.
Amazing what he was capable of creating all in one shot and with doubles... Smart guy and smart bit of choreography. I would have never guessed.

Taika Waititi Narrates a Scene From ‘Hunt for the Wilderpeople’

A rebellious boy and his foster uncle go on the run in the woods of New Zealand in the new comedy adventure “Hunt for the Wilderpeople,” opening June 24. The film was written and directed by Taika Waititi, who, in a recent interview, discussed a scene from the film that consists primarily of one shot. Below are edited excerpts from that conversation.

Tell me a bit about the scene.

At this point in the film, Ricky (Julian Dennison) and Hec (Sam Neill) have been on the run for a couple of months. They’re really feeling the pressure of the mounting search and the government trying to bring them in. At this point we have an in-camera, one-shot montage to show the passing of time and to recap on all the characters that have been involved in the film.

Did you initially plan for a winter setting for the scene?

This was about midway through the shoot and we were down in the middle of the North Island. We didn’t expect any snow at all. We were deep in army land and the army really came and helped us out, giving us tanks and equipment for a big car chase. One of the other things they helped out with was giving us access to parts of New Zealand that had never been captured on film before. When we were driving into this area, we were planning to do a bunch of other scenes. But it started snowing really heavily. By the end of the morning we had six inches of snow. So we regrouped to figure out what we were going to do. I quickly rewrote parts of the script to take place in the snow and use it as a seasonal change. And I thought, while we’re figuring out our next move, why don’t we try this big montage shot that I had in my head for a while. I was just lucky enough to have all the actors there on the day.

How did you do it?

We basically put the camera on the tripod and we planted it in the ground and we just slowly turned the camera 780 degrees. We hid all the actors beneath the camera and in the bushes. Each time we passed the camera by an actor, either an actor would pop up into frame or would run around the camera to take their place for another pass. We had a fire that was going on in the beginning. Someone would run in and put that out. We had doubles who were in different costumes. I think in the end we had three Hecs and three Rickys in the shot, the real ones and then two doubles each. So it was a real choreography.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"