Alan Taylor: The Director of Thor 2!

I don't know why GoT (and by extension, a GoT director's Thor) is thought of as Tolkien or high fantasy. The most overtly fantastical element in the series are the dragons, and they don't show up until later and are only a part of the overall tapestry. Its always been about the drama and character interactions.

I don't know why GoT (and by extension, a GoT director's Thor) is thought of as Tolkien or high fantasy. The most overtly fantastical element in the series are the dragons, and they don't show up until later and are only a part of the overall tapestry. Its always been about the drama and character interactions.

Yeah, I never got why people made that comparison. Personally, I can't stand LoTR or anything related to it. On the other hand, I'm a big GoT fan!

For some reason people seem to associate anything fantasy with Lord of The Rings

It's the most well known fantasy and one of the few that's achieved great BO success.

Yeah, I never got why people made that comparison. Personally, I can't stand LoTR or anything related to it. On the other hand, I'm a big GoT fan!
Really, why don't you like LotR?
It's one of my fave films. Not that I'm judging you or trying to sway you. lol

Really, why don't you like LotR?
It's one of my fave films. Not that I'm judging you or trying to sway you. lol

LOL. No problem at all. I can't explain it, but I never found the story and/or the characters compelling. I admit the movies were very well done, though.

For some reason people seem to associate anything fantasy with Lord of The Rings
Well yeah for the most part alot of the classic Fantasy books came from the same era. Tho many people say things like Dugeons and Dragons are based on LotR/Tolkein books.

heh some people get downright ticked when you bring up the fact that Tolkein was a history nut too so Norse myth, the Beowulf saga and so on are some of the oldest fantasy stories, that were told around campfires

yeah i dont get that either - LoTR seems to be the staple for fantasy, and as a diehard fan im not complaining but.... LotR is among the more mature or serious fantasies out there. Tolkien was more than conscious about mythopoesy (myth-making), heck i think he popularised it for modern audiences. such an intimate understanding of fantasy isnt there when it comes to the vast majority of people making / writing stories in the genre.

Thor, at least Marvel's Thor, has only ever been that deep under the hands of certain creators, but even then it approaches myth-making from an entirely different approach than Tolkien. The most immediate one being Thor's definition of the Nordic Gods as space-beings, and LoTR's characters more or less echoing the myths to form their own mythology. The two are more different than alike, and I'm a big fan to both.

I'm sure Taylor does. When he directs Game of Thrones, he clearly isn't focused on the Tolkien side of it --- he could care less about the swords & sorcery stuff. He's more interested in the drama and the character interactions. And I'm sure that's what we'll see from him in Thor 2. Too.

but how much of it is Taylor's own emphasis, and how much is it derived from the source material?

Thor especially sees writers bring what they think the property should be rather than what it is. So you get writers who completely leap on the idea of the fact its a myth, or that its like The Lord of the Rings, very few these days especially seem to grasp the Sci Fi aspect of it or the superhero aspect. Lots of Thor's earliest earthly villains were given away to other chracters.

They want to write mythic Thor rather than Marvel's Thor in short and that just isn't the point. Thor's character goes down the toilet when he's make a hotheaded, promiscuous brute like his namesake.

I think that Branagh understood that bridge very well in the first film. You have this delicate balance between the two and it's there and it's immediately respectful of both mythologies (Nordic and Comic). And that's really a very difficult thing to accomplish within the course of 2 and some hours! That Sci Fi aspect is really as important to Marvel-Thor as the mythical stuff. At least that's the way anything Kirby works.

but how much of it is Taylor's own emphasis, and how much is it derived from the source material?

I think that Branagh understood that bridge very well in the first film. You have this delicate balance between the two and it's there and it's immediately respectful of both mythologies (Nordic and Comic). And that's really a very difficult thing to accomplish within the course of 2 and some hours! That Sci Fi aspect is really as important to Marvel-Thor as the mythical stuff. At least that's the way anything Kirby works.

Very true.

I got my wish. Robert Rodat is writing. I hope he throws Don Payne's script in the garbage. Not even worth looking at I bet.

That's not gonna happen, he's doing a rewrite which means he's just making changes to Don's script.

That's not gonna happen, he's doing a rewrite which means he's just making changes to Don's script.

Yeah, but *all* Don Payne's scripts need rewrites. MAJOR rewrites. How he keeps getting work in feature films is beyond me.

Yeah, but *all* Don Payne's scripts need rewrites. MAJOR rewrites. How he keeps getting work in feature films is beyond me.

He must have a nice smile. Oh well, hopefully Alan and Rodat know what they're doing.

Oh well, hopefully Alan and Rodat know what they're doing.

Yeah let's all hope they're able to make this even better than the first while still maintaining foundation that was laid.

People are too hard on Don Payne. He will have sat in a room with the marvel creative committee hammering out the plot scene by scene before he even wrote the dialogue.

LOL. No problem at all. I can't explain it, but I never found the story and/or the characters compelling. I admit the movies were very well done, though.

very understandable. I never grew up with the series, saw the animated hobbit movie ONCE as a child in the 80s, and now i have no loyalty to the movies.

i don't hate them, its just another epic that i know nothing about...like Harry Potter.

very understandable. I never grew up with the series, saw the animated hobbit movie ONCE as a child in the 80s, and now i have no loyalty to the movies.

i don't hate them, its just another epic that i know nothing about...like Harry Potter.

Another franchise I couldn't care less about. Never could get into it either... :/

Yeah let's all hope they're able to make this even better than the first while still maintaining foundation that was laid.

Thats what i'm hoping, I dont want another Iron Man 2 situation were the sequel is a significant step down from the first movie.

Another franchise I couldn't care less about. Never could get into it either... :/

Same here, just could not get into Harry Potter at all.

It's like Conan to ME. Both the 80's version and the new one are about Conan but almost look entirely different from one another.

And how Disney allows some little dictator to run around Marvel Studios and seemingly alienate much of the talent he comes into contact with is head scratching to say the least. I'm expecting news in the next month that they are again searching for another director. A Shame. After the great momentum that the first film created, they are doing their best to shoot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:
I wonder how the Saving Private Ryan-writer will change things? Are we to immediately assume that this will be a war-centric blockbuster?

I don't think so. Not with Alan Taylor in charge. War will probably be an element of it but I don't think it will be a war centric movie.

Well some writers are better at certain things than they are at others. Some are good at getting the entire big picture ideas out there but rather suck at the small things like dialogue. And some are the converse. Sometimes you basically have to piece the whole thing together so hopefully you keep the great big idea stuff while making it all very natural via the clever and inventive dialogue, etc.

This is often why many writers work in pairs. Each having their own unique strengths they bring to the script.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"